• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting WIN2K to AS/400. Need a hand!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheCrow

Im trying to connect a Win2000Pro machine to an As/400 server trought a 10/100 hub.

I dont know if any of you as any experience connecting this types of systems, but if you do i would be thankfull for your help!!!

So here the deal!

The AS already as NIC connecting to an Hub. The Hub has 8 connetions, 2 of them aready in use. One connected to the AS and another to a router. So theres still enough for my WIN2K machine.

Theres another machine (Win95) thats on my Division, but uses another type of connection! It has a Twinax emulator card that connects directly to the AS/400 network (BNC). The progrma that it uses to connect to AS is IBM Client acess.

Im thinking of of using that program to run on WIN2k since theres an option in Client acess to configure the connection to AS/400 by TCP/IP.

Does anyone know how to configure this, or has anyone tryed it???
Please help me on this one if you know how it is done!

Thanks.

Try using the DLC protocol.

I've done it with NT4 but not Win2K so not sure exactly how to go about it.

Dlc, that protocol is on win2k too...

I think ive seen it in the AS/400 networking manual, but it only talks about configurating it on win9x and NT. Not win2k.
How did you configurated your NT???

Can't remember that right off the top of my head exactly either...it's been a while.

Only time I used it to connect was for terminal use and one other time for an old HP net print server...it's been years.

I'm at work now but if I can find time tomorrow morning I'll install it on one of my Win2K boxes and see about configuring it.

Right now I'm drawing a blank since I don't have it to look at.

EDIT:

In the meantime you might want to read up on the connectivity with NT 4 you mentioned that manual had. I would assume it would typically be the same for Win2K, albeit, slightly different interface for it. DLC is a very old and strightforward protocol that shouldn't have changed any in Win2K. I'll still look at it in the morning for you if it's not too late.

Last edited:
Ok, thats fine with me! I´ll wait!:)

In the meantime im going to take the manual home so i can read it on the weekend.

Ive been trying to find how to configure this on the web.... the only place that i found was at www.as400network.com, but i have to be a Professional member to this site to acess this info, witch im not.

Thanks a lot for the help and for the patience!

Last edited:
OK. It was simpler than I even remember. The AS/400 has to have DLC installed as well. Seems that used to be the default protocol for it once upon a time. If it is connected to a TCP/IP network it may not be there however.

DLC is a direct link connection meaning it has no configuration. If you can't connect with it, then it's not installed on the mainframe.

As far as connecting via TCP/IP, you'll probably need a terminal emulator like telnet and an account on the AS/400 you can log into it with.

Back