• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling based on Delta-T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Then it comes back to this, which fan is silent at 100% speed, since I wont be controlling the speed?

Silent is relative. You can't get completely silent if you have fans running.

My suggestion would be to find a fan type, connect up the total number you need, and see if this is too much noise for you.

I found 900 RPM to be as silent as possible and still push enough air. My old AP-15's I voltage controlled them to run at 900 RPM. Used to have two 360 rads with 6 fans. 4' away they were effectively silent.

Any reason you don't want to control the speed?

Edit: I never had a problem running PWM pumps off the mobo.

Get this pump (s). http://www.swiftech.com/MCP35x2PUMP.aspx

The mobos I have used in the past and still do are Gigabyte towards to middle/top end. I have run Intel CPUs for the last 12 years. The Giga have a good software controlled setup that let you set the pump curve depending on CPU temp.

It has plenty plenty of head pressure, redundancy and you'll only need to run at about I figure 60% speed for good flow rates.

Just realized what the article in the first post was. I remember writing that long ago. Thanks for learning before leaping, actually reading and learning. You'll do fine. Better than most!:clap:

Silent is relative. You can't get completely silent if you have fans running.

My suggestion would be to find a fan type, connect up the total number you need, and see if this is too much noise for you.
Yeah, thats the plan.

Just realized what the article in the first post was. I remember writing that long ago. Thanks for learning before leaping, actually reading and learning. You'll do fine. Better than most!:clap:

Given the number of people that water cool, so is the chance of me wanting to do something for the first time, very low.
So thats why I ask before I do something, so I can change based on other peoples experience.

Seems I will give these a try: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Thermaltake-Riing-12-120mm-LED-fan-blue_53088.html
I will buy 4 of them along with a 240mm, so I can mount my pumps under, instead of in front of the reservoirs.

So will I take things from there.

Not sure if that will solve your attempt to run silent as those are fairly new "blingy" fans but if you still want, I'd advise on going with the RGB set so its not a fixed color and have the option to be changed to some other color. Buying the 3 packs will also save you money instead of buying them individually.

Not sure if that will solve your attempt to run silent as those are fairly new "blingy" fans but if you still want, I'd advise on going with the RGB set so its not a fixed color and have the option to be changed to some other color. Buying the 3 packs will also save you money instead of buying them individually.

The problem with the RGB once, is that the controller is meant for 3. So on a 480mm radiator so would I need 3x 3 pack and have 1 fan left over.
And its a reason I'm buying a 4 of them to test on the 240mm first. So if they dont work out, I switch when I redo the rest.
Can always use them as case fans on my streaming pc.

Also, unless these are decent, so is the riing fans the only led once that seem silence: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Cougar-LED-fan-D12HB-G-green-LED-120mm_53384.html
At least when it came to radiator fans. Can be others, but hard to confirm numbers on less popular fans.

Last edited:
Grab one individually and a three pack to make it a total of 4. IIRC, the small module used to connect these fans, controls the RGB lighting to it as well as powers and sends the PWM control to the fans. The fans don't have a standard 4-pin PWM header, they're actually 5 pins that connect to the module and than the module has a single PWM cable to connect to a PWM header for power and control.

If you were to use them all as rad fans, a total of 4 3-packs would suffice. Again, IIRC, each module can handle up to 4 fans each. You'll just need something that is capable of sending a PWM signal to that many modules/fans. I think the Aquaero 6 can help in that regard but can't guarantee it will all work since PWM has a tendency of weakening if its send on a lengthy mission. Testing it all out would obviously be ideal.

Grab one individually and a three pack to make it a total of 4. IIRC, the small module used to connect these fans, controls the RGB lighting to it as well as powers and sends the PWM control to the fans. The fans don't have a standard 4-pin PWM header, they're actually 5 pins that connect to the module and than the module has a single PWM cable to connect to a PWM header for power and control.

If you were to use them all as rad fans, a total of 4 3-packs would suffice. Again, IIRC, each module can handle up to 4 fans each. You'll just need something that is capable of sending a PWM signal to that many modules/fans. I think the Aquaero 6 can help in that regard but can't guarantee it will all work since PWM has a tendency of weakening if its send on a lengthy mission. Testing it all out would obviously be ideal.

Where do you have it from that it can control 4? Even the official website says its 3 per controller.

Where do you have it from that it can control 4? Even the official website says its 3 per controller.

I've done extensive research when these were released a month ago. The fan hub that comes with it has four 5-pin fan headers, as only three are occupied in the 3 packs. I should state, I can't verify from TT themselves or a trusted source but going by from what I see in the images.

luxt-057_luxt_057_7g_800x800.jpg

riing-256color-led_04.jpg

As you can see the above images, each fan header is a custom 5-pin. Some guess the extra pin is for the RGB. The module itself allows you to change the colors on the fans. No software control on that so you need the hubs positioned somewhere for easy access.

Last edited:
I've done extensive research when these were released a month ago. The fan hub that comes with it has four 5-pin fan headers, as only three are occupied in the 3 packs. I should state, I can't verify from TT themselves or a trusted source but going by from what I see in the images.
As you can see the above images, each fan header is a custom 5-pin. Some guess the extra pin is for the RGB. The module itself allows you to change the colors on the fans. No software control on that so you need the hubs positioned somewhere for easy access.
There is nothing about what the front extra port is for. If it where for an extra fan, so is strange that its not mentioned.
Even official sources says the controller can only handle 3 per.

Also, note that the one in front dont have the plastic thing that sticks out on top, on the once in the back.

So my best guess, is that the extra port in front, is meant as a way to connect to something they havent released yet.
Or maybe a way to connect all fan hubs together, so you dont have to change them one by one?

maybe a way to connect all fan hubs together, so you dont have to change them one by one?

If this were the case, you'd blow out every single PWM fan header you'd connect to. Remember, the single 4-pin fan header connected to the fan hub, supplies the power and PWM signal. Now imagine if you chained a bunch of them, granted each fan only takes .21 Amps.

Its obviously speculation but what made me think it was a fan header for the Riings is because it has the same 5-pin lay out as there is nothing out there that is 5-pin other than these fans, AFAIK.

If this were the case, you'd blow out every single PWM fan header you'd connect to. Remember, the single 4-pin fan header connected to the fan hub, supplies the power and PWM signal. Now imagine if you chained a bunch of them, granted each fan only takes .21 Amps.

Its obviously speculation but what made me think it was a fan header for the Riings is because it has the same 5-pin lay out as there is nothing out there that is 5-pin other than these fans, AFAIK.

Not in terms of power, but a way to link the signal between the controllers.

Not in terms of power, but a way to link the signal between the controllers.

I don't think you're thinking this through. How else would they get power? By each hubs PWM cable? How many PWM headers exist on these MBs? One or two if you're lucky. If they were to be chained, as we see its the same 5 pins as the fans, one would assume, Ground, Power, Tach, PWM and RGB. That means, the power request would still be chained and supplied by a single PWM cable. If these hubs had their own Molex or Sata power each, than what you're saying could stick.

I don't think you're thinking this through. How else would they get power? By each hubs PWM cable? How many PWM headers exist on these MBs? One or two if you're lucky. If they were to be chained, as we see its the same 5 pins as the fans, one would assume, Ground, Power, Tach, PWM and RGB. That means, the power request would still be chained and supplied by a single PWM cable. If these hubs had their own Molex or Sata power each, than what you're saying could stick.

I have seen 5 pin USB cables, so it can be that.

I have seen 5 pin USB cables, so it can be that.

True. Not sure why if it were the case for software control, they wouldn't release it already instead of having us to speculate or hold peoples builds up on what approach to take.

Take the Aquaero for example. Takes only a 5 pin cable to connect to the USB for monitoring and software control as well as standalone 5v power.

Back