• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling-The Definitive Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow!

after I put on the fan I was getting temps with the case off at 36.5C and with the case on at 39C.
this isn't what is so wow!
I left my computer off over night and when I booted it up the next morning it was at 24C case and 26.5C CPU @ 1500!!! I think this is because the HS got cold durning the night and It was just keeping its step for a ok period of time. I am at school right now so I can't check the temps

plexi glass does not need to be cut, it can be scored with a knife then broken over a surface (or your own thigh)

usally when you get higher temps with the case open it means that you do not have enough fans. get some.

Great! Well-Done!

No the overclocker he doesn't require more fans, he doesn't have the room nor does he want the noise.
Most PC's have a higher case temp with the side on, unless you have an insane amount of noise and fans:D.

Great job gulp35!

M_N

Stacked fans

What would happen if i stacked two 60mm fans on a heatsink, would it improve air draw and boost cooling efficiency... Or just do nothing and look goofy?:confused:

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

Unfortunately it would increase temps and noise a lot, it blocks airflow and is inneficient, the first fan spends all its time trying to force air through the other fan, the last one does the opposite.

Thus not a Good Idea, you can however have one fan blowing onto the other from a distance to provide the CPU HSF with fresh air.

Hope this helps,
M_N

Maximus Nickus said:
Great! Well-Done!

No the overclocker he doesn't require more fans, he doesn't have the room nor does he want the noise.
Most PC's have a higher case temp with the side on, unless you have an insane amount of noise and fans:D.

Great job gulp35!

M_N

un nope, if you have good fan setup, forced cooling is better, otherwise we would not have fans on heatsinks, see here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips824/

the main reason for not stacking fans close together is becaus ethe air comes of the first fan at an angle of 45 degrees (or around depending on the fins) and cannot be 'caught' by the second fan, however there are excptions, if the fans spon is oposite directions but still blew the same way it works well, or possably you could use the delta fans that 'straighten' the air?

the overclocker said:

un nope, if you have good fan setup, forced cooling is better, otherwise we would not have fans on heatsinks, see here: http://www.overclockers.com/tips824/

the main reason for not stacking fans close together is becaus ethe air comes of the first fan at an angle of 45 degrees (or around depending on the fins) and cannot be 'caught' by the second fan, however there are excptions, if the fans spon is oposite directions but still blew the same way it works well, or possably you could use the delta fans that 'straighten' the air?

Thats what I said,

As for fan stacking yes that applies too but there are also other factor's, hence my reply.

M_N

First off, thanks for this thread, it's quite helpful.

I'm in the process of building a plexiglas case, and I'm having trouble placing fans because it's going to be a desktop (horizontally oriented) case.

I was considering mounting a couple 80mm fans on the top of the case over the CPU and PCI slots, and then putting a couple 80mm exhaust fans either in the front or on the sides, but I'm really not experienced enough to judge how well this will work.

Inasmuch as I don't really have the benefits of hot air rising, anybody got any ideas on the best way to get the airflow moving?

Usuall I'd try to fit the intakes in the front and the exhausts at the top back, this usually works in principal with hot air particles rising and gets the air moving!
If you can go for 120MM fans, just one will outperform 3-4 80MM's, if your stuck for space as well try using a PCI slot blower for the AGP card, this will make sure the PCI's stay cool.

Good Luck,
M_N:)

anything but a Thermaltake 6 Cu ...

This may be way too late in the thread, but ...

I think the Thermaltake 6 Cu heatsinks are rather lousy. They have only rather small copper disc at the bottom that doesn't spread the heat very wide. The copper/aluminum interface of the slightly sunken copper disc looks wide. There seem to be a great many gaps and a general poor match. I wonder by what method it is adhears to the aluminum (glue?). The copper slug is poorly machined and shows circular lathe patterns; somewhat rough to the touch. The 6 Cu+ is obnoxiously LOUD.
Copper seems to lap quite easily, so lapping should be done if using this cheap-O heatsink. I expect the thing would be a good deal better if solid aluminum without the copper insulator.
I rigged one (not on my own system) by lapping it, then attaching a medium speed 80mm fan using plumbers' and duct tape. These are both "tape" but very differnt. Duct tape: we all know. Plumbers' tape is galvanized steel stipping with holes, somewhat flexible, yet fairly supportive. Usually used to hang pipes (I have a hard drive hanging by the stuff right now) but like duct tape, has many uses.

Hi Maximus,

I am planning a water-cooled setup and indeed your thread helped me a lot to decide what i need and how everything should be set up :) :)

One question tough, 2 120mm panaflo fans will be enuff i guess for a heatercore 8inchesx8inches.

Now shall i put them one in front of each other with the or one on top and the other on bottom?

Maze3
http://becooling.safeshopper.com/20/115.htm?128 (Via Aqua 1300)
or shall i go for an eheim 1250

Now for the fittings 1/2 or 3/8, if i go for 1/2 fittings on the heatercore do i have to go for 1/2 fittings also with the waterblock?

Hey Maximus Nickus,

Do you have any information about the Forge Heat Sink? i need to get more info about that heat sink. your help will be highly appreciated!

Regards.

reputable dealer???

hi, on the verge of getting my water cooling stuff... got tygon tubing, enermax fans... WANT stuff that i found at cooltechnica.com but aren't sure of their reputation. the only ones that are good at resellerratings.com are by people with only one post...ever... kinda fishy to me. i was wondering if anyone has dealt with them and if it was pleasent. should i forget them or are they legitimate??

thnx guys

edit: found out that dangerden now works with my new puter so i bought all my junk through them... thnx guys

Last edited:
GoingH2o said:
Hi Maximus,

I am planning a water-cooled setup and indeed your thread helped me a lot to decide what i need and how everything should be set up :) :)

One question tough, 2 120mm panaflo fans will be enuff i guess for a heatercore 8inchesx8inches.

Now shall i put them one in front of each other with the or one on top and the other on bottom?

Maze3
http://becooling.safeshopper.com/20/115.htm?128 (Via Aqua 1300)
or shall i go for an eheim 1250

Now for the fittings 1/2 or 3/8, if i go for 1/2 fittings on the heatercore do i have to go for 1/2 fittings also with the waterblock?

Hi GoingH2o,

Fans always worked better with one blowing through and one pushing when a heatercore or powerful radiator is in question, thus one at the front and one at the back will certainly be the best choice.

As for the pumps they are both superb, the Viaaqua is cheap, very quiet and pushes enourmous amounts of water, the Eheim I have no experience with although they are supposed to be one of the very best pumps out there (hence the price) both have lifetime warrantys as well, so its very much take your money and make your choice;)

Nope you don't, most watercooling suppliers sell 3/8th > 1/2th or vice-versa adapters, they are about $2 each.

Good Luck,
M_N

aldmjr said:
Hey Maximus Nickus,

Do you have any information about the Forge Heat Sink? i need to get more info about that heat sink. your help will be highly appreciated!

Regards.

Unfortunately I've never heard of the 'Forge' Heatsink, Alpha heatsinks with Copper Imbedded are Cold Forged, is this what you mean?

The only thing I can think of is to keep an eye on the Front Page, if there is a new Heatsink called the 'Forge' it will be reviewed here, sooner or later.

M_N

Back