• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i3 vs. Core i5 for video encoding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squads

I am looking at upgrading from my current Phenom II 940 quad core to a more efficient and faster CPU (for video encoding). I am looking for low idle power usage and quiet operation. I have a big old Noctua cooler which should be pretty much dead silent with i5 or i3, given that my 125w TDP Phenom stays quiet and cool.

The crux of the issue is how they perform in video encoding (no overclocking since the goal here is energy efficiency as well and overclocking kills that). The i3 is dual core with hyperthreading, so it should act as 4 cores in handbrake encode and i5 appears to be 4 cores with no hyperthreading. Would they be roughly equivalent clock for clock in an encode scenario? Also, would the i3 use less power under load than the i5?

I am looking at upgrading from my current Phenom II 940 quad core to a more efficient and faster CPU (for video encoding). I am looking for low idle power usage and quiet operation. I have a big old Noctua cooler which should be pretty much dead silent with i5 or i3, given that my 125w TDP Phenom stays quiet and cool.

The crux of the issue is how they perform in video encoding (no overclocking since the goal here is energy efficiency as well and overclocking kills that). The i3 is dual core with hyperthreading, so it should act as 4 cores in handbrake encode and i5 appears to be 4 cores with no hyperthreading. Would they be roughly equivalent clock for clock in an encode scenario? Also, would the i3 use less power under load than the i5?

i3 should burn a little less power but the i5 will spank it is multi-threaded work.

The real cores will outperform Hyperthreading. Go for the i5.

Also try to get a Z68 or Z77 board, does Handbreak support Intel QuickSync?

apparently it does not support quickysnc at the moment.

What is the advantage of a Z77/Z68 board over an H67/H77 board? Again, no overclocking and I will be running a single GPU or possibly no GPU at all.

Advantage would have been Quick sync, no reason for it now. There's also the B75 chipset that might be a tad cheaper.

Hmm...I can get a 3570K and Z77 mATX ASROCK board from Microcenter for $265. Thats a mighty fine setup

Oh, if you live by a Microcenter definitely go for that. 3570K, 3770K, or 2700K + ANY Z68 or Z77 motherboard = automatic $50 off. On top of their already killer prices. Just grab the 3570K and the cheapest Z77 board they have.

Back