• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU or GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SuperTuner12010

Well looking to upgrade one or the other. Not sure which would benefit right now. I know which ever I do get, the od part out will become the bottleneck.

Current system is in sig, the 555be is unstable at 3 or 4 cores, stable at 3.8ghz. Vid card is slightly overclocked.

Which ever I dont get now, will probably be getting in a few months or so. So upgrade the 555be to a 955,965,970,975,98? or 1090t or 1100t?

As far as vid card goes, besy bang for the buck.dont really have a set price. Looking around $250 give or take.

But then again not sure if I want to spend $250 atm...maybe more like $200? Flashing and overclocking for sure if capable. So best bang for the buck yet noticable upgrade...

IMO, both.
The 955BE has hit a very very affordable $110. The 1055T <buy me Isn't much more at about $145. I'd do the CPU first. Then when you can afford it upgrade the GPU.

If you upgrade that GPU now, the 555 CPU is going to bottleneck a current card somewhat.

What resolution do you currently game on? If its a higher one, your GPU will be the better purchase.

What resolution do you currently game on? If its a higher one, your GPU will be the better purchase.

Currently only game at 1600x900...I guess a new monitor will be in the works as well. I keep thinking to myself ill get the gpu now, and either get a bulldozer or get the 1100t as the price should drop. Or go with a sandy bridge if AMD doesnt prove itself.

But aty the same time, my 555be just seems so weak compared to the 955-980. But I honestkly have no problems with it, I just want to believe its weak...

Well, the 555 is, in theory, as fast as the 955 in stuff that isn't optimized for multi core.
You could grab a GPU now and when BD comes out grab a 990FX board and CPU. You could probably work BD on a 700 series (definitely on 800) but they say there could be 'issues'. I wouldn't bother.

GPU, unless you're playing games that support >2cores a 955 or 1090 won't help you at all.

Back