• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU/Socket temps for fx-9370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinite66

Whats up guys? To cut to the chase, I've recently begun ripping and encoding h264 blu-ray. I use handbrake for the encoding. This maxes all 8 cores on my CPU to 100% load. I currently have a Cooler Master Nepton 280L CPU cooler and it's keeping core temp around 61C-62C max. Socket temp on the other hand is reaching 82C. Using hwmonitor to view these temps. That said, how long can I maintain these temps before damage occurs? Only started getting this bad in the last 15 minutes or so. The encoding has 35 minutes left out of the 95 or so minutes it started with so I really don't want to stop the encoding process haha. Case is a cooler master HAF xb, so cooling on the socket is virtually non-existent. Fx-9370 is clocked to 4.8ghz @ 1.475v btw.

72°C max for socket. Cool it down, get some fans blowing on that area.

72°C max for socket. Cool it down, get some fans blowing on that area.

Yea I knew the socket temp was way over. I just waiting for the encode to finish because I don't want to start all over again. I 'm going to be going back to my old case. Had the back side panel drilled and cut to accommodate a 70mm fan right by the socket. My HAF XB on the other hand has NO room to put a fan anywhere the socket can receive air. Mainly I was just concerned about the here and now. Will this last 30 or so minutes permanently damage anything?

I doubt it'll hurt it for 30 minutes, but I'd get the side panel off and point a house fan at it personally.

I doubt it'll hurt it for 30 minutes, but I'd get the side panel off and point a house fan at it personally.

Well I'm stupid. Didn't occur to me to take the panel off. hurrr. I did that. Socket temp is floating between 72 and 74 now. almost 10C drop. Now I way less worried. thanks for the input.

This look right.JPG

Hello again! So I switched out to a new (technically my old case I had in my closet). This case has a custom mounted 70mm fan on the rear panel. Right over the socket. My socket temp isn't seeing past 30C now it seems. And to add insult to injury, my AIO cooling solution croaked overnight! Pump was making a grinding/high pitched whining noise just at idle. Got worse when under load and the pump increased flow. That said, I refrained from throwing it, returned it, and bought a Hyper 212 EVO in it's place. Had alot extra $$ left over from the return, so I also bought 2 PWM Cougar vortex fans for the cooler.

Nepton 280L with fans maxed out, my fx-9370 @ 4.8ghz was hitting 61-62C doing a video encode via handbrake.
Hyper 212 EVO with SAME CPU and SAME speed. Literally nothing changed. 55C-57C at a max.

Is this normal for socket temp to be so much lower than cpu temp? Granted I have a fan right on it now, but still. Also, is the hyper 212 EVO just that good a cooler? Or was it maybe the Nepton 280L was on it's way out the entire time?

Most likely this.

The Nepton 280L wasn't even 2 months old! It was used intermittently too! I work all week, so it was only getting used for gaming/encoding on the weekends, or the odd ball college class throughout the week. I mean really? Isn't the Nepton like one of CM's top-ish tier AIO? I mean the 212 EVO kicks arse. I had a thermaltake frio Extreme dual tower heatsink in my closet as well, but the brackets for holding on the fans rattle like a window in a tornado, so I opted for the cooler with plastic clip ons for the fans and rubber anti-vibration pads.

I just find it hard to believe a $30 heatsink is doing as well as it is. 4.8ghz on an fx 8 core is not the easiest to keep under control.

The Nepton 280L wasn't even 2 months old! It was used intermittently too! I work all week, so it was only getting used for gaming/encoding on the weekends, or the odd ball college class throughout the week. I mean really? Isn't the Nepton like one of CM's top-ish tier AIO? .
RMA it.
It's a defect. Every manufacturer of anything gets them. It doesn't mean they're all bad.
CM has excellent CS.

My socket temp isn't seeing past 30C now it seems. < Have not seen socket that low at all under load. Odd. Bad? Not necessarily.

Nepton 280L was on it's way out the entire time? < Probably so.

Back