• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Vs Bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Programs Vs Bios?

Ok well my bios says my PC is around 39-40C full load. CPUCool said it was around 37. So i figured cpu cool was wrong. I recently downloaded everast and it also says 37. My question it why are the programs telling me diffrent temps then my bios are and which is right.

Last edited:
also, in this everast thing it says my HDD temp is 27C, I have no sensor in my Harddrive atleast not that I know of so how is it getitng this temp?

HDD=Western Digital | 160 gb | 8mb \ 7200

From what I thought all the software programs you could run from your OS like that take their temp readings from the bios?
I think the only way you're going to get a more accurate reading than that is if you put a temp probe under the heatsink and use a hardware monitoring solution (one of those 5.25 bay lcd items for example)

Ya rain i thought also but i knew it must be somthing differnt cuz differnt apps have differnt temps so i dont know how they get fdiffernt temps but they do so i trust bios. (and what ever app came with the mobo for temps. although alot of ppl like mbm5

syberspy9 said:
Ya rain i thought also but i knew it must be somthing differnt cuz differnt apps have differnt temps so i dont know how they get fdiffernt temps but they do so i trust bios. (and what ever app came with the mobo for temps. although alot of ppl like mbm5

From what I can assume, and trust me this is just an assumption, that each diffrent program that is getting a diffrent temp is just using the temp from the bios and then using a formula to try to compensate for the bios's renowned inaccuracies.

Like I said this is just my opinion on what could possibly be the cause of the diffrent readings.

Being I can't dissassemble the programming I couldn't tell you for sure, but this is my best guess.

From what I can assume, and trust me this is just an assumption, that each diffrent program that is getting a diffrent temp is just using the temp from the bios and then using a formula to try to compensate for the bios's renowned inaccuracies.

This statement is so true!

I do not think there is any program that is 100% correct ( even the Bios, as the sensors that are used are not of a high quaility)

Just pick a program and use it as a guide set a baseline as to where your CPU is running. IE if your CPU is running at 40C and then suddenly you start seeing higher temps , then you know you have a problem

Dave

try and use the one that comes with ur mobo (thats my opinion) because it may be higher temps buy a bit but that tells you to stop before there is a problim.

also the mobo is made to work with that soft ware so thats why i use it.
I love asus probe. i think mbm5 is over rated and full of junk to many settings for me.

I thought pretty much as most of you. I trust my bios, but I think these programs know what sensor I have and are trying to correct its mistakses.

PS:Sensor Type Winbond W83627HF (ISA 290h)
CPU 37 °C (99 °F)
Aux 28 °C (82 °F)
WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 27 °C (81 °F)

Full load for 4 days straight now.

New heat sink brought me down from 180F CPU
It is also blowing extra air on my capacitors and my NB chip.
A fan is on the HDD becouse it was getting way to hot.
Aux im not sure what that means im geussing case or mb temp

Last edited:
Just wondering, are you just saying my sensor sucks and I need a new one. Or go buy a temp taking tool. Either way the temp is important to me, but as of now my hardware feels just fine by hand. So im good.

There are devices that have a monitor that goes in a 5.25 bay in the front of your computer that has a lead that will go down to your cpu and you install it under your heatsink to get more accurate temps.

yes hard ware temps sensors are better but you dont really need them i mean you know that ur cpu is fine its not cooking its got good temps as from what you see when you fell it its warm but not hot so.............

do your REALLY need one more wire? that will tell you a temp
imo NO not unless you have a prescot lol.

syberspy9 said:
yes hard ware temps sensors are better but you dont really need them i mean you know that ur cpu is fine
If you think your cpu-temp is "fine" according to a measurement taken via motherboard sensory, then maybe you sholdnt be posting in the WC section of OC....
No offense intended, but there is people here that will pay $100 for .5 of a degree centigrade !

motherboard sensory sucks, as does most "hardware" sensory (baybus devices.)

go for max OC if you really want to know if your high perf, setup is doing it or not.

BTW

the BIOS, as many inhabitants of this thread like to cal lit, is nothing more than an assumed read-out of motherboard sensory which is crap to begin with.

Senater_Cache said:
If you think your cpu-temp is "fine" according to a measurement taken via motherboard sensory, then maybe you sholdnt be posting in the WC section of OC....
No offense intended, but there is people here that will pay $100 for .5 of a degree centigrade !

motherboard sensory sucks, as does most "hardware" sensory (baybus devices.)

go for max OC if you really want to know if your high perf, setup is doing it or not.

WC = Watercooling? This is just the cooling section, for us primitive air coolers.

I relize people pay 100 bucks for .5, but people also are overclocking to 6ghz+ I am at 868 mhz. So though it matters Im not going to pay 20 bucks for a tool to check my CPU temp i rather spendthat on a new fan.

tenchi86 said:
I relize people pay 100 bucks for .5, but people also are overclocking to 6ghz+ I am at 868 mhz. So though it matters Im not going to pay 20 bucks for a tool to check my CPU temp i rather spendthat on a new fan.
you must surely mean 600mhz+, right?

Im not expecting anyone to pay for proper equipment, but you must realize that your BIOS (which supplies your Programs with info) is not to be taken serious.

Back