• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critical Error During XP Pro Install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I'm putting together a cheap AMD Athlon build for a friend workplace she works now everything is used I bought the motherboard of eBay with the CPU and 256mb DDR PC2100 memory.

I'm just testing the system to make sure everything is working I found a 5GB Quantum Fireball HDD and used that so I could just get XP Pro installed.

The system:
Gigabyte GA-7DXE Motherboard
AMD Duron 1.1ghz CPU (this is what the guy said was up for auction and does show as 1150 in BIOS).
Crucial 256mb DDR PC2100
Geforce 4 MX440 64mb G.Card AGP
Creative DVD-ROM (very very old drive testing only)
and HDD above (only got testing)

Now it installs all files for stage 1 the blue screen with yellow bar when it get to stage 2 and upto the part where it's installing devices I get the following BSOD. The BIOS setting are the whatever the guy changed them at I can't quite work out what device is causing the error there's also a small message in the boot screen POST says Check System Health!

Any help would be appricated.

PS: I had to break it down to the main parts of the BSOD because I took it with my camera phone and the file size was too big.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the drive is fubar, the fireballs weren't exactly reliable.

Also check for caps blown on the board.

Hmmmm I formatted it in my rig below and it worked ok I've just sent off for a new more modern Samsung DVD-ROM drive as for the HDD I could get a throug tested 20 IDE HDD off eBay for £7.

I will get it and see what happens I will go and check for burned caps.

How is the HDD jumpered (Master, Slave, or CS), how is it connected to the board, and is it formatted using FAT32 or NTFS?

It's connected via brand new IDE ATA 100/133 ribbon cable the jumper is set to master and its on the secondary slave IDE port the 1st attempt was fully format for NTFS but gave me the error above the 2nd attempt was full format FAT32 still the same error.

I still can't work out what that Check Health status means I've read the PDF manaul to the board and there's nothing in to state what it means.

Last edited:
Well there is no burnt out caps nothing the board is in great condition I'm wondering could it be the memory or should I reset the BIOS (if I can cant find the CMOS clear jumper).

Also what does a Duron 1.1ghz's FSB speed run at 100 or 133?

The board uses a jumper setting & according to the manual the guy has put the jumper to 133mhz but in BIOS it's set to 100 and CPU SETTING is disabled could that be the problem. I don't know what the max FSB is for this CPU so I cant tell if it's right.

I've never built a jumper machine in years and I've just forgot lol.

Last edited:
"Also what does a Duron 1.1ghz's FSB speed run at 100 or 133 according to the manual the guy has put the jumper to 133mhz but in BIOS it's set to 100 and CPU SETTING is disabled could that be the problem."

yes it could be the problum

Is that been sarcastic or a real answer anyways the code for the CPU is AXDA2600KV4B or H I think and AQYHA0409UPMW at 1st I thought it's not a DURON but a 2600 Athlon I could be wrong.

It is an Athlon 2600+ have another look at the codes on it and google them for exactly what it is. The set the FSB and multiplier properly. Check to see if its overheating and run memtest to see if the ram you are using is any good. Also what power supply are you running this off of. My money goes on memory or power supply being the issue.

It is an Athlon 2600+ have another look at the codes on it and google them for exactly what it is. The set the FSB and multiplier properly. Check to see if its overheating and run memtest to see if the ram you are using is any good. Also what power supply are you running this off of. My money goes on memory or power supply being the issue.

Pulled it and heres the codes

AXDA2600KV4D and AQYHA 049UPMW and a long one if you need that Z40162B42445

As for the power pack it's a brand new 350watt Premier Branded PSU I bought the casing off eBay everything is new in it it was all boxed and everything. As for the BIOS there wasn't any setting I could change there was only the FSB setting that was all the BIOS must be a old 1.

Its a 2600+ Barton according to Google. Download the manual for the board and read through it so you can set the FSB properly. You may also have to update the bios for it to properly recognize the CPU. What revision is the board and what bios version does it have on it?

Well I couldnt find the CMOS clear jumper because there isn't 1 I have to pull out the battery in order to clear settings I set the date and I've taken a shot of the CPU frequency screen.

I've also taken a pic of the set-up as well anyways I left it at 133 but I have set the jumper on the board to 100mhz the check status message now says OK. Anyways because I've tried to install XP Pro already it restarted it's self and tried to install again it gets to Installing Devices HDD is going like crazy gets to 34mins left HDD light on case is active but there's no noise coming from it sounds like it's at a section which maybe damaged.

I didn't think it could cause a critcal error like this can it?

As for the BIOS the previous must have flashed it to the latest version which is F5 I have downloaded as I was going to flash it but it's already done it seems. I think the CPU clock should 166 for the CPU to run at full speed should I set the jumper on the board to 133mhz or leave it.

Last edited:
I am looking at a new motherboard of Ebay its an AOPEN branded board and supports better features I also have a Pentium 4 1.7ghz 478 CPU I need a board for that I was going to use it 1st but I saw the AMD bundle someone was selling.

I might as well find a P4 board and sell the AMD 2600 off along with the HS/Fan I knew it would cause me problems not sure if I could sell the board thou dont know if thats at fault. As for the specs I don't need it to be powerful it's only for a friends workplace she works in a Residential home and it's for a resident as he uses it to for little games and stuff and for music. I'm looking at a 20GB maybe a 40GB for it.

Where are we looking here near the CPU area if so I'll take a Pic tommorrow when it's dat time that other pic was taken late this evening. I've seen a motherboard for £10 it's more modern and everything so I might buy it and the 20GB HDD and hopefully it'll start to work.

Also what does a Duron 1.1ghz's FSB speed run at 100 or 133?

The board uses a jumper setting & according to the manual the guy has put the jumper to 133mhz but in BIOS it's set to 100 and CPU SETTING is disabled could that be the problem. I don't know what the max FSB is for this CPU so I cant tell if it's right.

From the AMD CPU list in this forum, your Duron 1.1GHz should be:
AMD Processors - Duron Morgan - FSB : 100MHz 180nm

CPU Name --> Core --> Voltage --> Multiplier --> Clock Speed --> Cache L1 L2 -->

Duron 1.1G --> Morgan --> 1.75v --> 11.0 --> 1100MHz --> 64+64 64 KB

Also if you have only ONE HDD, then it must be set as Primary by its Jumper, and connected to the Primary IDE Port, not the Secondary IDE port, of your MD to be effective! You must not used Cable-Select at all!

Good luck.

From the AMD CPU list in this forum, your Duron 1.1GHz should be:
AMD Processors - Duron Morgan - FSB : 100MHz 180nm

CPU Name --> Core --> Voltage --> Multiplier --> Clock Speed --> Cache L1 L2 -->

Duron 1.1G --> Morgan --> 1.75v --> 11.0 --> 1100MHz --> 64+64 64 KB

Also if you have only ONE HDD, then it must be set as Primary by its Jumper, and connected to the Primary IDE Port, not the Secondary IDE port, of your MD to be effective! You must not used Cable-Select at all!

Good luck.

Thanks for that but thanks to Trap05 he's identified it as a 2600+ Athlon and since it's a Barton core it runs at 1.9ghz which I think BIOS setting wise is 166x10 = 1911mhz or something like that. Unfortunatly this gigabyte board dosn't have them setting it only has 1 and thats to set the FSB I believe, and I think the jumper on the board would need to be to 133mhz instead of 100mhz in order to get the 266mhz FSB from from the CPU to the memory.

I've checked the website for this board and if this is a Barton core like Trap05 says it is then it isn't supported here's the CPU list http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=1363 I've no idea if it really a Barton because there where a few different varients of it. Only way to find out would be to out it in my brothers Socket A but he wouldn't let me I can then run CPU-Z on it and find out but other than that I say it's a Barton and therefore the board won't work.

Back