• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire 290x or single gtx1080 or single gtx1070??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goto35

Registered
Currently have crossfire 290x. Only 3 months old and haven't used that much (pretty much new)

Thinking of selling and getting the gtx1080.

What u guys think?

Sell both 290x for $400-500 buy regular gtx1080 for $600

I plan to sell my two 290xs and go with a 1070, although would love a 1080 as well

I have a 5960x rig with a single GTX 980TI SC and a 4790k rig with 2 R9 290s in CF. The CF rig has better benchmarks but not by much and the GTX 980 TI SC is much smoother and doesn't have the CF/SLI issues with certain games.

Both of my rigs are custom water cooled including the gpus. I have wanted to replace the 2 R9 290s with a single card. Fury X wasn't the answer. I'm moving the 980 TI SC to the 4790k rig and buying a GTX 1080 for the 5960x since a have alarge amount of giftcard $$$. From what I preliminarily read about the GTX 1070 it also may be a smart replacement for 2 R9 290xs in CF.

That's going to be situational. If money was a concern even in a slight degree, I'd probably wait for the time being or perhaps consider a different upgrade than GPU. Otherwise, if you go for the GPU swap, it's going to be very situational, depending largely on how much you get for the old cards and how much you need to pay for the new one, either of which, or both, could go wrong and set you back a hundred bucks or something compared to your initial estimates. And ultimately it's all about bang for the buck anyway.

If your mobo supports only Crossfire but not SLI, then for obvious reasons you might want to at least take a look at the new 400-series cards (Polaris/Vega) before you decide to switch over to nVidia.

If I were you I would go for the single GTX 1080 it will be more future proof compared to Polaris, Vega.

Back