• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom liquid cooler for LGA 775 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, I see what you mean. I just want to get the first iteration of this loop built, then based on how it performs, I may decide to make // change out some parts.

KΓλ©KΣΓ™;7213615 said:
Very cool stuff. :)
Thanks,
I'm moving on Saturday morning for an internship. After that I'll probably be spending a good portion of my free time finishing my ridiculous project that I thought was going to be done 2 months ago :)

Then onto the testing...

Finally, got everything unpacked today and relocated for my internship...
I managed to get my whole computer up here minus a monitor :-(

P1180196.jpg

Just for comparison, (Because I'm curious and I know someone is going to ask me about this later), I ran Intel Burn Test for several iterations just to see what temps I'm getting.

IBTRUN4iterationsinacroom.png

The ones I'm getting seem a little bit high, I'm wondering if this is a result of the computer being relocated so many times since the heat sink had been re-seated in the past couple of years. Is it important to re-seat the heat sink periodically?

Other remarks: its around 71 deg f on the thermostat, the carpet that the computer is resting on is.... white...

Also, can anyone recommend a good household cleaning solution that I could get at a place like home depot or walmart for cleaning copper oxide?

NEVA!!!! i have an equivalent set made by snap-on. cant read the brand on yours
Nice I'm jealous. Did they have all those sizes that I was able to piece together?

Some of those are Craftsman, but nobody had that complete of a set.

Seriously though, anyone have anything to say about the copper cleaner or the extremely high temps coming from my computer?

Ohh yea, moving a PC can change things. What air heatsink you using?

That case on the carpet even with the legs can reduce the area open to good airflow. Even a peice of cardboard would help if you use that area as active intake.

Ohh yea, moving a PC can change things. What air heatsink you using?

That case on the carpet even with the legs can reduce the area open to good airflow. Even a peice of cardboard would help if you use that area as active intake.
Also, how would I like, verify whether or not I need to reseat the cpu cooler?

Well, you mention a V8. Pretty heavy. Never sure of the jiggle it got. What were temps before?

If you got paste and the time, I'd do it.

Great luck on the intership, they are hard to come by these days.

Well, you mention a V8. Pretty heavy. Never sure of the jiggle it got. What were temps before?

I can't remember, that's the thing. I remember them being quite a bit lower.

If you got paste and the time, I'd do it.
Yea, I guess common sense would dictate that. I'm just lazy at the moment because I'd rather spend the time putting the finishing touches on the cooling loop I'm building.
I am also curious about comparisson though, like, I want to know how much better or worse the new setup is vs the old setup when it finally gets installed

Great luck on the intership, they are hard to come by these days.
Unfortunately they are, maybe in a few months, say around November, the markets will pick up and companies will start hiring again;)

I live in south florida and its booming with jobs but none to be found... booming meaning its always busy at the stores. For me I work for Toshiba and they stop hiring like 10 years ago. kinda sad

Okay, so I finally spent a few minutes... maybe a bit more than that doing some work on this silly project. I reassembled it and threw it in my bathtub. I'm testing the pump for dynamic pressure overnight to see how it does with a flow restriction of the cooler. I rearranged this after the fact to test for leaks on the cooler itself.

2012-07-09_00-27-17_768.jpg

2012-07-09_00-44-12_442.jpg

2012-07-09_00-44-18_347.jpg

2012-07-09_00-44-21_395.jpg

And then rearranged everything, dried up the area around the cooler and fittings to test for leakage with dynamic pressure.

2012-07-09_01-26-36_101.jpg

this is pretty cool! so much DYI stuff!

you using copper as the heat transferral material there? :)

probably best choice, as the one things that I know which has higher thermal conductivity are both pretty expensive. (silver and diamond) ... hahahahah, it will be soooo funny if someone has a Diamond THAT big, and decided that it is best to be made into a Heatsink. hahaha.

(Removed quoted post and response. -hokie)

@ merz

It's looking very nice, glad to see you got time give it a run. Did your block leak at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
this is pretty cool! so much DYI stuff!

you using copper as the heat transferral material there? :)

probably best choice, as the one things that I know which has higher thermal conductivity are both pretty expensive. (silver and diamond) ... hahahahah, it will be soooo funny if someone has a Diamond THAT big, and decided that it is best to be made into a Heatsink. hahaha.

Thanks, this has been one of the most intense projects I've tried to date.... lets see if I can actually get it completed before the summer is up...

Actually you might be interested in reading about carbon nano-tubes, they have some very interesting properties both structurally and thermally.

(Removed quoted post and response. -hokie)

@ merz

It's looking very nice, glad to see you got time give it a run. Did your block leak at all?
No the block didn't leak at all, however, the brass fitting got improperly deformed upon torquing the outer nut on one side and was dripping.

There was no apparent loss of dynamic pressure from the pump either which is reassuring.

Back