• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR on Abit KG7-RAID

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rapserv

although officially not endorsed by abit, has anyone worked out what modifications to the memory settings are required to run 4x 256mb ddr on the new kg7-raid mobo.

ps ... 256mb unbuffered ddr i mean.

What are you referring too?

What are you talking about? Can you be more specific.

Right now I am running that MOBO with the parts listed in my sig with 256 MEG corsair pc 2400 memory with CAS2 and turbo timings.

Owners of the KG7-RAID motherboard should note that the AMD761 chipset used on the motherboard places some limitations on the memory that can be used. You have two options:

Up to two unbuffered DIMMs (up to 1GB each) of DDR RAM

Up to four registered DIMMs (up to 1GB each) of DDR RAM

and that's it! You cannot mix unbuffered and registered RAM, nor can you officially have more than two unbuffered DIMMs (but note that several reviewers have found that four unbuffered DIMMs can be used providing they are of good quality and identical type). This is a limitation of the AMD chipset and not ABIT and it is not something that can be changed by a future BIOS release. Registered DIMMs cost approximately $10 more than unbuffered DIMMs for a 256MB module. If you intend to use more than two sticks of memory then make sure that all your memory is registered!! Note also that the memory bus is synchronous, meaning that it runs at the same speed as the front side bus (FSB). This means you must use PC1600 RAM with 200MHz DDR FSB processors and PC2100 RAM with 266MHz DDR FSB processors.

UnseenMenace said:
This means you must use PC1600 RAM with 200MHz DDR FSB processors and PC2100 RAM with 266MHz DDR FSB processors.

Can you not change the DRAM CLOCK to HOSTCLK or HCLK+PCICLK to use whichever RAM(PC1600 or PC2100) for whatever CPU(200FSB or 266fsb)?

200FSB + 133RAM = HCLK+PCICLK
266FSB + 133RAM = HOSTCLK

Back