• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead PIII?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Insthink

I just got this old pIII-500mhz, not a coppermine.

My mobo is a Asus P2B, showing support for that kind of CPU, no matter the revision number

When I put the 500mhz on the board, nothing posts, no beep, no nothing, just like when you got no CPU in, or a dead CPU. When I put back my old p2-300, it works fine.

the P3 is 500/512/100/2.0V SL35E
The ram on the board is 66mhz, I thought it was the ram crapping out cause they had to go to 100mhz to clock at the speed of the CPU, but then I remembered my board required jumper settings to make it run 100mhz fsb, so the board was still at 66fsb...

or am I wrong on something?

well, seems like either my ram cant run at 100 mhz (i think it used to be generic 66mhz) or my CPU still is dead cause the same thing happens when I changed the jumpers :p

gonna wait until my new ram comes in to test it again.

you need to clear cmos, disconnect other stuffs like ide to your harddisks and try again.

ok i tried everything, i got my mushkin rams, set everything so its 100mhz x 5, unplugged all PCI and IDE except video card, still does not post :|
am I missing something here?

no, cause if you read my original topic, I mention how my mobo can run fine on the p2-300

Back