• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Upgrades

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
but then he would have to take out his 2100 which he doesn't want to do.

ummm yeah, you lost me there on the 333mhz part chief, you gotta remember im dumb so take it nice and easy and slow and simple, lol, thanks :D

basically he is saying that you will be able to run the ram at faster speeds, which might help performance, but then again, you want more ram right?

umm, i wanted more ram (key part of that was it being in past) because i figured that would help me out more, but if making it faster is what i should do, then i guess thats what i want to do??? i dunno... i was just planning on getting more of the same ram i had

fatccrunner said:
ummm yeah, you lost me there on the 333mhz part chief, you gotta remember im dumb so take it nice and easy and slow and simple, lol, thanks :D

If you have PC2100 then that means your PC runs at a FSB (front side bus) of 266MHz. Your PC is also capable of running at 333MHz FSB (or PC2700).

If you take out the PC2100 and put in PC2700 your PC will run a little faster (the 333Mhz speed instead of 266MHz).

Since you do not want to take out your PC2100 you can still use PC2700, PC3200, etc memory WITH the PC2100 that you already have. It will still work with your PC2100 but you will not get any gains from running the faster memory. You will only benefit from having more memory.

Hope this explains it better.

Ok I follow, and I dont really need to know the answer of this question because its probably irrelevant and everyone will probably get a nice, big laugh out of this but what exactly is Front Side Bus. I've heard it a LOT and ive just always kinda had a hunch but what exactly is it?... ok and right about now yall are falling out of your chairs laughing at me

FSB is what connects the memory, CPU, and other components together on a motherboard. The faster the FSB your PC runs the faster your PC will be. IMO this is one of the most important things for speed in a PC.

eh

wannabrich...hold up right there
not everything you are saying is entirely true...
What would make the ram run at 333MHz DDR is not the fsb, but an asynchronious speed to the FSB, by use of a memory divider. FSB is still 133fsb. BUt if he has a 400MHz fsb cpu then no matter what, the highest divider he will get is 266MHz DDR, and this is all assuming the dell bios allows for divder changes, or even recognizes it.

forget it. stick with the crucial stuff...PC2100 is what you want.

snowwie said:
eh

wannabrich...hold up right there
not everything you are saying is entirely true...
What would make the ram run at 333MHz DDR is not the fsb, but an asynchronious speed to the FSB, by use of a memory divider. FSB is still 133fsb. BUt if he has a 400MHz fsb cpu then no matter what, the highest divider he will get is 266MHz DDR, and this is all assuming the dell bios allows for divder changes, or even recognizes it.

forget it. stick with the crucial stuff...PC2100 is what you want.

There may be a 400Mhz FSB CPU in the PC but I do understand that doesn't mean you can definately run at 400MHz, or even 333MHz. Like you said it depends on other factors.

My point is that if DELL has PC2700 memory for this model then surely it will be recongized by the BIOS. This isn't any different than any other mobo that uses PC2100/PC2700, Unless you know something about that model DELL that I do not.

my understanding is what snowwie said, just by putting in 2700 ram won't increase the speed of the FSB.

i have come up with another dell upgrade question that may not belong in this forum but i dont know where else to put it but tell me if i need to move it and i will do so or whatever... but anyway... besides upgrading the ram to 1 gb and getting a new hard drive, what else can i do to my dell computer?... i have read a post about O/Cing them but it sounds pretty iffy to me... i dont know if i want to try it considering i could completely screw up my computer and wouldnt have a decent one anymore... so is there anything else that i could do to make it faster... im open to ANY suggestions, not just specific things like ram or hd or proccessor upgrades or whatever... ANYTHING!... thanks

yes go into the storage section and read the sticky at the top

yes it does, you need to make a thread in the storage section.

Back