• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did I kill my NF7-S v2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

computerbias

:mad:
Hey, I bought and built an NF7-S V2 board with an athlon 1700+
was overclocking and the system hung on save and exit bios settings.
NOW it won't post, and appears that the cmos won't clear.
What can I do, I have moved the jumper, unplugged the board from power supply, proc from socket, ram from dimms, and the onboard battery, still nothing

Now What?

Help please.

I forgot exactly what you do, but I've heard to hold down the insert key when booting up. That will bring the bios into a safe mode where you can adjust everything so it will be stable again. Correct me if I'm wrong.

oh man, bummer. sounds like its time for a hotflash. need to find another board that has the same style cmos chip (socket wise), as your board. its not hard to do, remember to put a little tape or something as a handle on the chips do they are easy to pull out. do a search for hotflash and it should explain it.

same thing happened to me,cleared cmos numerous times,and i still cant boot,i was ocing, and watching asus probe,was in high 30'sdeg.,i crashed ,when i went to bios the cpu was 60deg ,asus probe claimed it was 38??? volts never went over 1.78,i was at 212 fsb on bartonxp2500(L),a7n8x-x,1Gpc3200,i was running a tbird extreme HSF at 7200 rpm,it will start to boot,go through windows log then when desktop should pop up,its stays black,did il earn the hard way with my first overclocking experience?Help,this is on the girlfriends pc,my dell wont oc,oh well ibought it for her!!

craig, sounds like you corrupted something. i dont think you damaged your hardware, you can either try to fix it or reinstall.

when you say fix it,not sure what you mean,reinstall?you mean OS,you think i corrupted my OS?,honestly not trying to be smart,i got my first pc about 8 months ago,im just learning all of this at once,loving it though,this overclocking is so cool even if i screwed a cpu or mobo,thats how ypu learn

Is your computer not doing anything at all or just hanging at a point? Which point if so?

I don't think OS would keep it from getting into the BIOS but just to check unhook your hdd's and see if it will come up to the BIOS screen.

i think i jacked somebody elses thread here,sorry,but i can get into bios,set it all back to stock settings,exit and save,then it goes through windows logo,then goes black when desktop should come up,tried clearing cmos,a few times!!nothing changes,
When i was overclocking i was watching my temps through asus probe software,i have a feeling it wasnt giving me an accurate reading,when i crashed and restarted and went directley into bios the temp showed 58deg.?where asus said i never went over 38?I am new to all of this so i dont really know what to do here.now when i go into bios it says 32deg,but of course this is idle as i havnt been able to boot.i had fsb at 213 vcore at 1.75 with pc3200,did i burn upo the processer or mobo,i really am lost here now???Thanks for any help and soorry if i jacked someones thread,i can start a new one if you want,thanks,oh this is on girlfriend pc,a7n8x-x,2500xp,pc3200,not my dell as shown below

ok,im trying that now,should i repair or reinstall?am i going to lose all my files now?

ok repair worked for me and still have files,reinstalling omegas now,thanks for all the help guys,whew

Jizzler hit the nail on the head :) sounds like that bios chip aint so happy no more and needs a flash.

You can get a new bios chip for around $20 (if you dont have a spare allready), then get the system up and running and then swap chips and resave the bios data onto your old currupted chip, then you have a spare incase in happins again.

Or you might be lucky and find someone on the forums that lives close and you could mail your chip to them and they could do a quick hotflash for ya :)

anyway which way dont panic, its an easy cheap fix, im sure you aint killed none of ya big hardware :)

Chad

Newest attempts,

I tore whole computer apart, completely, reassembled and still no post.

Anyone live in west Michigan and have an NF7-S v2 bios for me

that is something I tried and it didn't work either
never do the actual cmos reset by changing pins. ALWAYS USE THE INSERT KEY, i dont know how to emphasis this. It always works, might take two or three poweroffs but works .

Back