• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

discover free extra gigs on your hard drive!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Across from the FBI quarters must be sweet!! I figured they could look at images of the drive however I've also heard that even when you have the drive whipped a few times there are programs that can still piece togther from information. As far as the harddrives go they were located at fry's in Ft. Worth Tx. There was one that was over 600GB too. They were selling for $3k+ and were scsi 5400rpm drives.

Somehow I just can't find any 540GB or 600GB drives, in 6-8 months I'm sure these will pop up, but I'm not aware of anything over 320GB right now.

ok im a lil confused here.

ok i have a 40gb maxtor and on that site it says "Maxtor 40GB EIDE Yield after recovery: 80GB"

now say i do this to my 40gb and turn it in to a 80gb. will i have full use of the 80gb ?

or what will i have, is this worth doing ?

Thank you in advance

according to most sources you won't have full use of the 80gb.....the second 40 gb will corrupt the first 40. This has been pretty much confirmed.

and electromagnetic....heres the biggest drive i know of.....link

that is what i was thinking, so its pertty much pointless why get a extra 40gb when my first is messed up and un usably

im not gonig to try it, not worth it to me

not saying that anyone can try if they like it then hey thats sweet

I know that Romebaby. I was just trying to find some kind of example that shows how a hard drive could hold a certain amount of info and perhaps use the partitioned off space for expansion of the compressed programs.

Toiletduck, I'm sorry I'm not convincing you well enough.

I may be wrong - the multiple people posting on storage review forums might be lieing about having done this and it not expanding their actual storage capacity. Also, the statement in that thread about the "error" in a certain version of ghost that is exploited to make this possible through the use of the program might also be a lie or mistake. I may be completely off base, who knows really. After all, I'm taking the accounts of others as truth.

I'm not discourageing you from trying it, or atleast not trying to, I'm just encourageing you to look deeper into it and understand why the huge results reported are just not possible.

Finally you may be convinced better if you do a little work yourself trying to disprove this instead of trying so hard to believe it. Perhaps you can look up technical documents on your hard drive or contact your manufacturer and find out how many platters your HDD is made up of. Also find out the capacity of each platter. This will tell you the maximum size of your drive - you won't get any more than that amount of data on the drive no matter what you do.

It has been confirmed by multiple people on multiple forums who went the extra step to actually try this, that it did not expand the actual storage capacity of their drives.

Well i had an old 20gb and said what the heck and heres what i got, I have written to it and booted the Os without any trouble, the bottom two was what came from the 20gb

Milkman-foundspace.jpg

IMOG said:
Certain CD writers can burn 900MBs on a single CD, but I don't believe this is a capability of all writers and programs or discs.

I do not believe that this is because a portion of regular CD's is not used, I believe the actual method used to write the CD's is different or the media is special and hence what you end up with is a 900MB CD that can only be read in certain CD drives (like the one that made it).

Bear in mind that that is entirely dependent upon the CD. If you look at a CD-R before and after burning you can actually see where the recording is because the developed substrate looks different than the original disk. Even a 700mb CD filled up appears to have no empty space. Granted, it's hard to see when it gets to the outer cylinders, but 900mb is a lot and most CD-Rs can't even handle being overburned beyond 800mb. I seriously doubt there's room for an additional 100mb hidden away on the disk.

Thanks, D_P. As I mentioned in that post I was not certain on the specifics of overburning as it had been a while since I looked into it... But like your post indicates, and from what I found after looking into it a little further again is that it seems overburning is mostly dependent on the media used.

A typical 700MB CD does not have an extra 100MB hidden away on it, like you said.

There are indeed some harddrives which have platters and portions of them disabled and are therefore sold with less space than they actually have . For example some batches of my Maxtor Diamond Max Plus9 160 gb drive are actually identical to their 200 gb version .

What would be interesting is if this method could in any way rediscover the extra space that the drives in this batch actually have . I doubt it , but as far as I see it , something like that is the only real and plausible application for this 'mod' .

Disclaimer :)
1/ No I don't know the batches which are 200gb models .

2/ No I personally will not be trying such with this drive at this time or at anytime soon .

It was fun to watch you guys try. I guess it did not work out. I agree the only chance to have extra useable space is that the manufacturer actually disabled a part of the disk, and enable the part that being disabled will bring out more space. Like WDJB are made of 40GB each, so the 80GB(2x40), 120GB(3x40), 160GB(4x40), 200GB(5x40), and if they actually make 60GB/100GB JB disks, it might be just 80GB/120GB disks that being disabled some parts. Otherwise there is no free lunch. If you can really technologically make the hard drives you bought to having more space, then why the manufacturers did not do it themselves.

P.S. I am not sure the theory of disabling parts of disk is true, but it sounds like a more reasonable saying to me.

Back