• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dissapointing results in overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lwtw

Hi guys,
I'm new here. Need some advice...
I just bought a Abit IS7 -E + Kingston Value Ram Cl2.5 (2 x 512) + P42.4c (Costa Rica SL6WF) + Radeon 9700P + Icute 450W supply with some pretty wild hopes. But it all soon became depressing as I couldn't overclock even over 2.6 before it crashes during intensive games (memory settings by SPD, 5:4 ratio). According to the hardware monitor, my cpu is running at 60 deg C at load (unoverclocked) with system temp at 44 deg. I'm using a default intel fan + heatsink. Fan speed 2200rpm. Is this temperature normal for a P4? What is the norm? Is the heat sink normal? Is there any other reasons for these pitiful results? Is it due to the hot ambient tropical temperature? (31 deg)
Well, the motherboard monitor program even beeps when I'm not overclocking anything at all!
And... even my radeon 9700 Pro ( Gigabyte Maya 2) doesn't overclock too well. At chip 350mhz & mem 330mhz, the visual artigacts in 3dmark get so awful. Is the gigabyte normally so poorly performing?

Please help. Thanks

Lez

First of all, value ram...ie you get what you paid for ;) (what speed is it btw)

Second, the stock HSF wont get you much, especially when running at 2200 RPM...that seems, VERY low.

Did you use thermal paste (AS3)

WELCOEM TO THE FORUMS, you came to the right place

No, I didn't use any paste.
The ram is actually running below 400mhz during o/c as the cpu:dram timing ratio is lowered to 5:4. It runs stable at stock speeds (DDR400) Cl2.5

Lez

lwtw

The stk heat sink is not the best but its not all that bad. Did you use the thermal pad that came on the HSF? I'm sure it will do the job at stock settings but some thermal compound would be better after removing the pad.

If you have ambient temps of 30 degrees, that might have a lot to do with it. As you have guessed, your system is running too hot. What do you have for case ventilation? You probably need a couple more case fans and need to organize and get your power cables and IDE cables out of the way so they're not blocking air movement. Check to make sure the heatsink is mounted on properly. The black heat pad might of got damage, they are only good for one install. Try cleaning it off and using a good thermal paste. If you're still running too hot, then you'll need to invest in a better CPU cooler.

lwtw said:
Hi guys,
Icute 450W
..... cpu is running at 60 deg C at load (unoverclocked) with system temp at 44 deg. I'm using a default intel fan + heatsink.
Lez

Don't get dissapointed that quickly. Your system may not be that bad...
But you have to see first if your power supply can handle the load of your CPU... The fact that you got 450W power supply means almost nothing. Please, check and post, what is the load capability of your +12V line...
All new P4 and Athlon CPU's run on the +12V line... HUNDREDS OF POWER SUPPLIES are still fitted to supply the most load at +5V... (older CPU's).... You can have a 450W PS and still very "weak" +12V....
See your P4 specifications from Intel... your CPU can "easily" consume more than 11A "typical" !... Most PowerSupplies will only handle 11-12A on +12V line... And you have to add all your:
- fans
- DVDs
- HDDs
on that poor +12V line...
To check for this report the +12 voltage at idle/100% CPU load (standard clock and overclock too). Check with other guys that have same/similar config which are able to OC much more... and you will figure it out.

Second issue....
Your 60C... is too hot... you have to either turn down your room AC, or see how to lower it... All guys that were able to OC their 2.4C... do have a good cooling...

Good luck !
Don't give up !
:cool:

You must use some kind of thermal interface material - either a pad or grease. The latest batch of retail P4 hsf's I've seen did not have a pad on them. You must use the included tube of grease or buy your own such as AS3. If you don't use any you will be running extremely hot.

hi,

you are fighting heat in a bad way, and yes your room temps are the reason your getting all the high temps and graphic problems.

even at stock speeds you'll have a heat problem, so I'll give you two solutions and you pic one that seems good for you.

watercooling may not be cheap but it will help you lower you cpu temps alot and still keep your computer quiet.
it's not as hard as you may think, and if you need to keep your video card just as cool, add some extra tubing and a vid block...
and your all set to have a good OC.

most of the parts you'll have to buy, but with some reading you may be able to build a nice and quiet cooling system for your system. case cooling is still important, but you may be able to get away with far les then you need now.

the next solution is cheaper and easyer, but it will be more loud to your ears.
forget your intel retail HS, it was not designed for your high room temps.
go with the best HS right now, that's the slk900u...a 92mm panflow fan is what you'll need to keep the noise down and the temps low.
don't skimp on a cheaper HS, you'll have a hard time with the best. you'll also need better case cooling.
2 or better yet, 4 case fans is what you need to help out the HS.
as batboy said, clean up the inside of the case. move all your wires out of the way. it could lower your case temps by 1c or 2c.

with the high room temps you say you have, don't expect the best OC. you will always be fighting heat, but with the slk900u and better case cooling you may be able to still have a nice OC.

good luck, and keep asking questions.

mica

Last edited:
A few things come to mind.

Firstly, your power supply. You need one. I suggest a 530 fortron for this application, although you can also get by with a 350 or 400 fortron if money is tight.

Secondly, the ram. I also have Kingston Value Ram, but it has the marvelous BH-6 Winbond chips. Yours likely does not. The latest stick of Value Ram I've seen used Infineon chips. But as your stick is stable at 1:1 and 200 fsb, you should be able to run at least 250 fsb at 5:4.

Set your ram timings manually. Anything that is done automatically is automatically wrong. The bios of your board may be using the slowest or the fastest timing values across the board rather than the values programmed into the SPD. Why take the chance? Back all timing values to full slow until you get the clock rates up, then work them down. Infineon won't stand tight timings. Feed the ram (and cpu, for that matter) pletny of voltage until you get the clock speed up, and then work them down.

Thirdly is the temperature. The stock HSF should do better than it is, indicating a contact problem and/or poor case ventilation. You ambient is higher than most, but this does not preclude a healthy overclock. I recommend two 40-50cfm fans directly behind the cpu blowing out, along with an adequately sized inlet hole in the lower front of the case.

You can invest in a better heatsink, but this is not your basic problem. Make sure the heatsink has the black intel thermal pad on it (it's really very effective) or use some quality thermal paste. Insure the heatsink is making full contact over the entire cpu mating surface.

Thanks for the advices fellas. I'll try some of those tricks this weekend and see what happens. Will post results later if possible. BTW do you guys think part of the overheating problem is due to the 2.4c Costa Rica chip? Anyone else having a hot costa rica?

Lez

:)

If your case is in an enclosed area, that may be why your temps are so high. also check if your exhaust fan on the back of your case is blowing out of the case. thermal paste will also definately help alot. lower room temps will too.

-->Bman<--

try this.
open the side of your case.
set a box fan or any other 120v house fan beside the hole.
turn the fan on high.
check temps. if they drop dramatically, replace the hsf and add as many case fans as possible.
Buy you some modded ide and floppy cables for better air flow

Good advice about using the house fan and open case to test if you need better cooling. You can also mod your own IDE cables if you're on a tight budget. Fold the flat IDE cable like an accordian and use electrical tape or duct tape to wrap them.

Back