• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need a new PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great, I'm thinkin that I'll try to stay around the 450ish area for wattage. Based on what I've heard about these 45nm C2D chips they should OC themselves :p haha, but really I probably will be doing some mild OCing. I most likely will just mess around with what I can w/out upping any voltages.

I'm really curious what you are talking about with the headphone jack hitting the video connector or whatever.. Can you explain in detail what you mean?

he has a large splitter on his headphone jack. He needs to buy a headphone->rca CABLE! they have smaller connectors. I know cause I had the same issue...

Nah, I have a regular size headphone jack. I have a pair of desktop speakers and my headphones that I use for my computer. I had my headphones plugged in, and I wanted to switch to the speakers, so I un-plugged the headphone jack so I could plug in my speakers, and when I un-plugged the headphone jack, I just let it fall as usual. When the jack fell, it landed with the tip hitting my monitor cable which was plugged into my video card, the shaft of the plug fell just right so that it touched my case, thus shorting between the two.

Hmm, and you think this shorted your PSU?

I think the external of vga connectors are Ground, so you would of put ground to ground.

What this can do is throw a horrible signal to your amp. This can damage your speakers or clip the amp so badly that it burns out. However I own a really cheap RCA amp, and I have done it a dozen times. My neighbors probably don't like the 3 in the morning blast of noise that they get, but what can a man do?

Chances are your crappy PSU went up in smoke... I do have a Ultra X2 sitting next to me which is raited 550 watts I was going to toss on Ebay. Cant say Im going to sell it though because I also have a Giga-byte DQ6 on my left, and a X1940 or something at my parents house. I also have a bunch of cases, so I was thinking of tossing together a computer for my sister in exchange of abolishment of responsibilities for about 3 future Xmas's. (I really do NOT need another computer... 3 computers for 1 person is insane as it is)

I just dont have money for memory or a CPU. I wish I didnt have $400 (original cost) worth of equipment sitting unused, and in addition without a penny in my pocket.

I agree my old PSU was of shady origin and I shouldn't trust it with my new setup, but I think it would be too much of a coincidence if my PSU went up in smoke at the same time my jack hit the vid card/monitor cable. Immediately after that happened my comp. turned off and about a week after that my system became unstable. Thanks to all of your responses I decided to hit up Fry's today and I picked up a new PSU to power my new rig.

Maybe you leaned on a USB wire (or some other wire) and you shorted the wire. This happened to me, burned the USB socket. But it did not burn the USB port.

Its REALLY hard to short a port with a small headphone jack. its got 3 parts, and then it has to go through a bunch of resistance to make a full circuit. I dont know, its very odd.

Generally when I have had problems, it has had Nothing to do with what I was working on, but had to do with me applying pressure or leaning on something that I was not. That caused that part to break.

You said your PSU was about 5 years old... thats a good time for a psu to naturally die.

Back