• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need an unlocking kit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robbiesan

Registered
hey all.. I have the Asus A7N8X mobo with a 2600+..

with BIOS 1004-5 I am able to have increment fsb by 1Mhz and also have access to the range of multipliers.. but, I find that if I try using a multiplier above 12.5 and a fsb of 180 or so the system will boot but the cpu speed reads as like 1GHz.. (also, 12.5x180 seems to be the most stable range.. fsb above or below seems unsstable despite increasinf vcore or relaxing memory timing..)

is this because I have not physically unlocked the CPU? I'm just wondering if I really need to do this..

since we're at it anyone used that product "Highspeed PC AMD Unlocknig Kit"? looks like a good little product.. I'm just not sure if I really need it..

if you want to go below 12.5 multi, you may have to do a wire trick to unlock the lower range, Im not too sure on that board :rolleyes:

strangely enough I can go lower and higher than 12.5 (default).. but, I find the system is unstable at other settings..

I am going to get me a good PFC PS and proper cooling so that may make a difference..

if anything I was wondering, despite being able to play with Mult and FSB as is, if the CPU is unstable at other settings because it has not been physically unlocked...

after doing a bit of reading I see that it seems my CPU came unlocked but only to 12.5 (AMD stepping encylopedia).. I would need to change the multiplier from 13 up..

thanks.. yeah, I would have to enable the 13 and up multipler on the chip.. I'll not worry about for now until I have better cooling.. then I'll play with O/C some more..

Back