• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do we loose Windows optimization with mobiles in desktops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For those with Abit boards, couldn't Tic Tac just tweak the BIOS to add the support for Mobile Bartons? He's seemed to have done all sorts of other crazy things with the BIOS.

Prevail said:
so why hasnt someone done a realworld bench against the mobile barton and standard barton at identical clock multi mem settings?
65stang said he has both and im sure many others here do also. i believe pcmark would be the ideal testbed seeing as windows media encoding is very reliant on cpu optimization. id be very interested in these results.
There will not be a difference.

this thread caught my attention 'cause i just read a review on the FX-53 in which they benchmarked it against a Prescott, Barton 2500+, and a mobile Barton 2500+ which was overclocked. they used synthetic, number crunching, gaming and encoding benchmarks. i posted this in another thread but i'll post it here again for more info. AMD reviews

It may say "unknown CPU type" but if you go to windows update site you'll find an updated driver there for AMD CPU (not that I use it). What I'm saying is that it is recognized. Also my 2.2GHz Barton is exactly as fast as my 2.2GHz Mobility Barton in (using same VC):
3DMark2k1se
Aquamark3
PCMark2k2
Wintune (junk)
WinRAR (4GB file)

If I run the Mobility at 2.5GHz (where it's nice and stable) it stomps my desktop mobility in the ground...EVERYWHERE I use it.

BTW the reason load times on WinXP is differenet from one reboot to the next with same components, install new app or not is....restore point creation...new settings to be loaded for first time...changed settings etc. etc. etc.

Psyko

guys if the benchmark #s are the same for equal clocks in optimized apps then the optimizations are working. You guys worry too much:rolleyes:

Just FYI but even in the console of a Battlefield Vietnam Dedicated Server it says that the CPU is AMD and is usind SSE instructions.

Just looked through this thread and about winXP not recognizing the XP-M.

My win98SE, which they'll have to pry out of cold dead hands, does correctly recognize mine as a
"mobile AMD AthlonXP-M".
But my MSI KT6 Delta BIOS also recognizes it as an
XP-M, but then it locks the blankety blank multiplier at 14!

That's great Sammy but I don't think you could talk any of the people who switched from 98 to XP to go back, especially not me. That pile of an if you could call it an OS still haunts me :D.

johan851 said:
I doubt it does either. Does a laptop suffer from not having performance optimizations? As long as WinXP (or whatever OS) realizes that it's got an AMD CPU and loads the correct drivers and such for it, there should be no difference whatsoever.

No.. you arent seeing it. the laptop mobo's recognize the CPU correctly. the desktops dont, because they are designed for desktop versions, and dont expect mobile's.

So long as the mobile chip still has 3dNow and SSE there shouldn't be any need to worry. Applications do NOT check for the chip name before loading the drives. They attempt to access the optimized code. (Much like how you try to access document.whatever to verify you're on the correct browser before loading the rest of your dHTML).

Any programmer who uses "Authentic AMD" to validate whether or not to load certain optimizations would have to be an idiot (relatively speaking) who wouldn't have the capability to code the optimizations anyhow.

In short, if the chip contains the optimizations you're looking to use, you're software will use it, whether or not the bios/windows knows which chip you're using.

Psykoikonov said:
IBTW the reason load times on WinXP is differenet from one reboot to the next with same components, install new app or not is....restore point creation...new settings to be loaded for first time...changed settings etc. etc. etc.

Why do you have system restore turned on??

For those with Abit boards, couldn't Tic Tac just tweak the BIOS to add the support for Mobile Bartons? He's seemed to have done all sorts of other crazy things with the BIOS.

he just retired modding bios as of yesterday.

So after reading all this im still confused, are the Mobiles missing anything whe nput int oa desktop computer? I was thinking of buying a Mobile but after reading this and finding out people arent sure that youre missing some stuff from the mobile to desktop, i maybe not buy a Mobile.

Id rather have 2400mhz wit heverything working like it should, then have 2700mhz with some features not working

This is an old thread, don't worry, buy mobiles, you're OK with all the features you need...

Back