• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do ya think Im crazy?.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Kleenex said:
Wow. I think we pay $25 a month for cable internet (it's more expensive if you don't have basic cable tv though). But then if you wan't more than one computer hooked up, it's $12.50 extra per computer per month. $45 sounds a little expensive to me, unless the speeds are great and they don't cap your bandwidth after downloading 3 gigs of linux in one day (ops should have read the terms of service there).

Well, the $48 I pay is in Canadian dollars. That's about $25 USD

from 41 something to about $5 more. anyways they will give it to u for the 41 something if u have their cable TV also. thats y i switched from DirecTV to cable tv so my internet bill stays the same.

I never really paid attention in economics class but, $5 a month more Vs. Cash for Reciever/dish and minimum of $33.00 a month...

I musta slept through class that day...

I've got 256K up/down. It's not so fast as other cable, but it's $25 a month, cheaper if I were to use my own cable modem.

clash said:

I never really paid attention in economics class but, $5 a month more Vs. Cash for Reciever/dish and minimum of $33.00 a month...

I musta slept through class that day...

actually the minimum cable selection is that cheapo local package + FX channel for about $5 or $10, im not sure. and my Dish was free with a promotional offer.

i pay $35 for my DSL...my cable was $30 a month when I lived in the dorms on base...no cable out at my house now :( I really can't tell a difference to be honest...fast is fast...and dial up is not fast...for $45 I'd pay for cable if it were the only broadband available...go for it

The speeds I'm getting with my cable access is what I dreamt of having many years ago. Now I finally have it and it is wonderful. I am never dissatisfied with the speed of my connection, it is always as fast as I need it. I remember in the mid-90's, dialing up to a UNIX machine, downloading files to it at blazing fast speeds, then downloading those files to my home PC which took a whole night, sometimes several nights. Now my home PC is the UNIX machine with a blazing fast connection.

I would rather not have any access at all than pay $19.95 for dialup, at least with the options I currently have. Remember you have to have a phone line for dialup as well, so that is another $10-20, of course if you have one anyways it doesn't matter, but for 24/7 access you need a dedicated phone line.

The DSL here is $30/month. We pay $40 a month for cable modem, but its $50 if you don't have cable TV (all you need is basic cable). If I lived alone, I would probably subscribe to DSL.

Don't know what other options you have where you live. I'd probably hop on that $19.95 for cable deal. And see what else is out there, maybe DSL. I've gone back to using 56k after using cable modem for a summer (56k was the only option where I lived), it's not that bad of a transition.

Broadband for $45 is about the going rate if you're not in a big urban area. I live in the middle of nowhere and had to pay $25 per month for a crappy dial up. No cable connection available. When they offered DSL for $50 per month I thought that sounded expensive too. Now that I got DSL, I'd never go back. It's worth every penny. Plus I got my telephone back.

damn, you all get good deals. Cablevision where I am is $49.99 a month for internet, but 3-5mbps down and 1 up, and if you want tv, its s $29.99 for basic, plus the discounted internet fee of $39.00. So its $70 a month for basic cable and internet.

The worst part, cablevision finally put a filter on my cable line, so no more free cable. :( The filters will probally get ripped off by tenants in my APTs soon anyways. *edit* I'm not condoning this, im just stating a fact that will happen in a large apt building.

Cable internet is alot like electricity. Thats why it ****es me off. There really is no competition. Your lucky even if its in your area. There needs to be more broadband companys in each area for more competative pricing.

you either pay the broadband company in your area or you dont get it all. /puke

There is 56k dialup now for 14.99 a month. 10.99 in some areas. 30-35 bucks for broadband isnt unreasonable. but when they start asking 40-50 bucks a month when your already paying for cable its starting to get out of hand.

id just really love to see what would happen to cable internet prices if there was as many providers as there is telephone companies.

the whole competition thing is sooooo true. 6 months ago i had 768d/128u for 40$ a month, and only got that rate for being a long term customer, new people got 40 for 3 months then up to 50. cable was available on all of 2 streets in my town. fast forward to today, i get 1.5d/128u for 35$ flat rate for everyone and guess what, cable is available in most of the town

Now I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

$40 for cable internet that is just average and another 40 for digital cable.

The internet is worth every penny tho. Its even better then having the cable TV.

trulyred said:
This past friday ,a local cable company calls me up To say internet cable has finally come to my neighborhood!! and I can get it a special promotional price of only 19.95 a month for the first 6 months. After which the price goes up to 45.95 a month. I turned them down cold.The way I see it ,If they can charge 19.95 as a promotional price, they can charge it ALL the time.,Heck I have been paying 19.95 to the same isp for 5 yrs. Why should the cable be any different?? Besides I don't want to get spoiled on a high speed access just to give it up 6 months down the road..............................:D

I would have went for it highspeed is awesome.

I had AOL/dtv/varizon long distance & the three were killing me, now i have cable=tv/internet/phone i get the internet for $30/month because i got the tv/phone, i save $30/m compaired to what i had plus i got rid of that sloooooooow aol, so for me there's no going back!!!!!!!!!!!:thup:

$50 per month?!?!? Are they crazy? I get my comcast cable for around $30 +/- $2 (i dont pay the bills ;)). Although i cant imagine going back to 56k. ::shudders::

Back