• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doing my research for a new build - general/gaming rig called "TACHI"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

There will be better stuff available by then. Our current recommendations would not likely carry over well for six months.

OP
Grevlin

Grevlin

Registered
So! I decided to return the Ryzen 5 and get a Ryzen 7 3700X - mainly because I want to get a 2070 Super graphics card.

So the system is looking like:

1. Case: Lian Li Lancool II case with LED strip and vertical GPU mount
  2. Motherboard - GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC
  3. CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X
  4. Storage - Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD
  5. RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (for AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
  6. PSU - Seasonic Focus GM-850 80+Gold power supply
  7. GPU - Probably a RTX 2070 Super
  8. CPU Cooling - Probably a NZXT Kraken X53 240mm
  9. Maybe some AsiaHorse cable extensions in white

Last edited:

Zerileous

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The 3600 would have been just fine with the 2070 Super. I hope you put all this stuff together and don't hide it in a closet for 6 months. In six months the exact parts you're buying right now will likely be substantially less expensive.

OP
Grevlin

Grevlin

Registered
Post #39 Trents said a R5 3600 would (most likely) bottleneck a 2070 Super in some cases.

I'm not concerned with new tech or prices in 6 months. I'm buying all the parts right now to have a collection of parts that works together right now. I'm just not putting together until Christmas. My goal is a system that will last me around 3 years before I get the itch to upgrade.

(I firmly believe we will have a massive 2nd wave of Pandemic in the 2nd half of this year. I don't want to risk a parts shortage and not being able to find the last parts I would need. Which is why I'm getting them all now.)