• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Domain Name stuff

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PolyPill

I registered a domain name a long time ago with Network Solutions, it was Internic when I did this so it was a long time ago. Anyways I only had 1 DNS server to put in (my sevrer) and they wanted 2, wouldn't let me enter it in twice. So I just added my ISP's DNS server. That was my mistake, it works, but it does reverse lookup wrong. Not a big problem but it annoys me. I thought I saw something once where you can put in a dummy DNS if you only have 1 server. Does anyone know what one might be? Or if that's not right what should I do?

The secondary name server doesnt have anything to do with your reverse lookup unless something is wrong with it on the primary. Look there. Are you running your own DNS? I seem to recall something a long time ago with having to have my upstream setup reverse lookup even though I ran my own DNS servers too.

Actually I put my own server as the secondary, so the my ISP's is the primary. I was going to change it but I've got to fax my driver's license into them before they'll do anything and I haven't gotten around to it. I thought that which ever responded first, primary or secondary that's the one it'd go by, so you could give it a dummy IP or if there was a dummy DNS sever running that just didn't return anything then the only one to go by is the real DNS.

So are you sure that it's pretty much only the primary that matters?

Your ISP probably isnt even running reverse lookup on it. Most hosting companies dont set it up unless requested. When I entered secondary servers it was a valid machine, but it wasnt running DNS either.

Again, if your ISP is running your DNS, see if its setup for reverse lookup. Even if you are running your own DNS, still check with your ISP to see if they have it enabled. It was a long time ago that I dealt with the problem so I dont recall.

edited: removed that paragraph...

Either way, I'd give them a call.

Last edited:
Setting up reverse DNS was a pain in the @SS IMO. I owned an ISP a few years back and had to get it going for people who use IRC servers that require it. MS's 128 bit encryption update required reverse lookup also to verify if you were in the states or not. Fun fun... good luck to ya :)

I know my ISP runs reverse lookup because when you check 209.105.119.180 it's blahlblahblah.cmcc.k12.mn.us not figz.com. Which is what I want it to say. You're saying I can enter in an IP that's not running a DNS server and it will work just fine?

Yes, my secondary server was 207.211.198.2 which was a mail server and ran no DNS.

Back