• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DS Lite vs. PSP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My brother has the PSP, and I could never find any online opponents to play on multi-player games. My GF has a DS Lite, and I NEVER have a hard time finding opponents online.

I select DS...... Touching is good!

Krome said:
My brother has the PSP, and I could never find any online opponents to play on multi-player games. My GF has a DS Lite, and I NEVER have a hard time finding opponents online.

I select DS...... Touching is good!

Seriously? The PSP uses a standard server list like most games and its pretty simple to find people hosting unless its not a very popular game. On the other hand you need buddy codes for the DS don't you? Or is that just animal crossing? It would take a lot of buddy codes to be able to find pick up games consistently.

ps SOCOM with the headset is pretty cool when you are out and can hit a hotspot.

I prefer my DS over my PSP, the backwards compatibility let me catch all those great GBA games that I missed. The PSP is nice to take on a plane to watch a movie, but the game titles make me wishing I was playing them on a PS2 so they had more depth. My dad even plays my DS when he gets his hands on it, because he's much better with the touch pad and pen than with a standard controller. DS Lite is just fantastic looking so the PSP no longer has the more beautiful appearance, my original DS looks like a brick from the stone age tho. I like my PSP but I feel like I have to spend a lot more money to get the same enjoyment I get out of the DS.

prints_money.gif

Elif Tymes said:
Wait... Did fudge hijack Rainless' account?

Hahaha! I knew somebody was gonna say that eventually :)

It is sort of curious... rainless goes to America and starts dissing the PS3 and saying nice things about the DS Lite and Wii... maybe he'll get back to his computer in France and go "WHAT THE F***! Damn nintendo fanboys!" :santa:

@spring: What GBA games had you missed out on? I've actually been looking for some since they're so cheap, but I don't know what the best ones are.

i am buying a DS lite tomorrow, Boxing day here in Canada. kinda like your black friday (i think that's what its called?).

really one of the main reasons why is that i just found A Link To The Past for the gba in my closet. i guess it was my little brothers, and somehow ended up in a random box in my closet. i never played the original for the snes, and i am allmost finished with Oracle of Seasons on the trusty game boy colour. i've also got Oracle of Time, loved it as well.

basically, i wnat to play more zelda. i'm hoping that someday they release a true sequel to 2d Zelda on the DS, but for now i've got lots to play.

i'm going to be getting the ds and one game for now. anyone have any recommendations? i was thinking of new super mario, but i'm open to anything. i'd like something i can play for a while. i so wish there was a new Zelda game out now....but oh well...

you can't fault the DS for having a wide variety of games. just because you don't want the barbie and my little pony games doesn't mean they don't sell. PSP has VERY few good games in its VERY small library, but the DS has so many it's hard to get around to them all (trust me, i've been trying). it's almost like if you were saying the Gamecube had a better library than the PS2 (no offense to the gamecube, which i love).

Sage2050 said:
you can't fault the DS for having a wide variety of games. just because you don't want the barbie and my little pony games doesn't mean they don't sell. PSP has VERY few good games in its VERY small library, but the DS has so many it's hard to get around to them all (trust me, i've been trying). it's almost like if you were saying the Gamecube had a better library than the PS2 (no offense to the gamecube, which i love).

I'm getting kind of tired of these erroneous statements.

Bottom line: PSP has more good games than the DS.

We can count them if you like. You can list all the good DS games I can list all the good PSP games.

The short list would be:

Killzone Revolution (AMAZING!)
GTA: Liberty City Stories
GTA: Vice City Stories
Tekken Dark Resurrection
Virtua Tennis World Tour
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
Lumines
Lumines 2
Poco Loco... or loco poco... whatever it is

Not to mention the ports like Marvel Ultimate Alliance

That's just off the top of my head. I could actually open my UMD holder or something. But I'll wait to see a list of more good DS games than that.

Mind you I *HAVE* a DS... so I don't want to be accused of nintendo hating... AGAIN. It's simply not accurate to say that DS has more good games.

i can go game for game with you if you like, i think the DS has more good games.

of course at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference, so we'd both be wasting our time.

Sage2050 said:
i can go game for game with you if you like, i think the DS has more good games.

of course at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference, so we'd both be wasting our time.

:shrug: true 'nuff. (Though the above games, plus wipeout pure would DEFINATELY take the PSP out of the realm of having "very few" good games.)

@ HBB

You should certainly get Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Elite Beat Agents, and probably Mario Kart DS. You could get metroid prime hunters if you want... but I only got it because I found it for 19 bucks. Circuit city had the new castlevania for 19 bucks on Christmas eve, but I missed that because I didn't have a paper. Might get it tomorrow or something though, through all my exchanges. I was skeptical about castlevania on DS, but they proved me wrong.

rainless said:
Walk down the aisle of a Target or Walmart. Some place with all the DS Lite games in one display case. You'll see Arthur games, Barbie games... all sorts of little LITTLE kid games. Then walk down the PSP aisle: It's basically Adam West Batman vs. Dark Knight Returns Batman.

Thats a major reason why I don't care for Nintendo anymore. Nintendo really pushes game development for kids which is great but not for me.

The DS is pretty neat but I prefer the larger screen on the PSP. It's kind of like arguing two monitors versus one widescreen. I'd rather go with the widescreen. I like my PSP but it seriously lacks in the RPG area. Hopefully Square will bring FFT to the US along with FFVII before crisis.

A quick look at a pretty comprehensive game review list shows about 200 (201) PSP games and about 150 (164) DS games and thats with the DS launching 6 or so months earlier. Certainly we could include GBA games, but we don't really need a DS to play those, much like we don't need a PS3 to play our PS2 games.

The decision should be based on what types of games you prefer, there are pleanty of games (well rated and not) for both system.

rainless said:
@ HBB

You should certainly get Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Elite Beat Agents, and probably Mario Kart DS. You could get metroid prime hunters if you want... but I only got it because I found it for 19 bucks. Circuit city had the new castlevania for 19 bucks on Christmas eve, but I missed that because I didn't have a paper. Might get it tomorrow or something though, through all my exchanges. I was skeptical about castlevania on DS, but they proved me wrong.

so i've been reading around a LOT about phoenix wright, that game seems very interesting. one thing i read that i didn't like was that there is really only one way through the game, and you get coached waaay too much. i read that you will get through the game no matter what you ask or say. i will probably pick it up some other time, but for now i don't know...

elite beat agents, i cannot se myself getting into that game. not a huge fan of those types of games, although i read lots of good things about it.

mario cart seems great, i would want to play online...that's an idea...i think its either that or NSMB... i'll have to see how the mood strikes me wen i get there.

Mario Kart DS is totally awesome. Im currently hooked on FF3 and Mario Kart. I just got Castlevania yesterday and havnt had a chance to try it out just yet.

it is possible to get a "game over" in Phoenix Wright, but you keep starting over from the beginning of the case, so if you, for some reason, can't figure out how to get through the case, it's just a matter of trial and error. doesn't make the game any less amazing though. You should all look into Trauma Center as well. Great game that shows off the DS very well.

well i just got home. the 2 places that i knew had DS lites on sale were sold out. the other places still wanted full price. i don't pay full price on boxing day. :p

and, i couldn't find a game i wanted anywhere. noone even had nsmb, mario cart, phoenix, trauma center... if i could have found a game i wanted, i might have paid full price for the ds. but its not worth $150 just to play a GBA zelda game.

for now i'll just finish seasons, a new DS zelda game is coming, supposedly in march? ...so maybe i'll wait fot that...or for a decent price on the DS.

I'm actually strongly considering getting a PSP. I hate consoles and handhelds now but the PSP has hit a lot of my soft points. It's specs are quite good for a handheld. Large LCD with a back light. Plays music & videos (huge plus). It also plays games (duh?). That's what it's suppose to do out of the box right? Well...I love all the old consoles. NES, SNES, GB, GBA and now PSone (legally). This handheld + homebrew = mentioned above...that is the key selling point of me. Playing PSone games on a PSP...holy christ I'm going to be playing FF7 again. Lets see DS do that.

ziggo0 said:
I'm actually strongly considering getting a PSP. I hate consoles and handhelds now but the PSP has hit a lot of my soft points. It's specs are quite good for a handheld. Large LCD with a back light. Plays music & videos (huge plus). It also plays games (duh?). That's what it's suppose to do out of the box right? Well...I love all the old consoles. NES, SNES, GB, GBA and now PSone (legally). This handheld + homebrew = mentioned above...that is the key selling point of me. Playing PSone games on a PSP...holy christ I'm going to be playing FF7 again. Lets see DS do that.

If you like movies the PSP screen is even better then my 640 x 480 PPC screen. The wide screen is very nice for films and the resolution is high enough to looks nice and sharp.

OC Noob said:
If you like movies the PSP screen is even better then my 640 x 480 PPC screen. The wide screen is very nice for films and the resolution is high enough to looks nice and sharp.

Really? Thats fuggin awesome to know! Now I want it evenmore! My eye spys a 1.5 in the classies...but not that much cash to buy it :( - Wish I could just get the straight up handheld.

Back