• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual network question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightStalker999

I'm a college student right now, and me and my suitemates had an idea, but didn't know if it would be possible. Currently we are wired to the school network through our ethernet. What we want to do is setup a wireless network for just our suite that is unable to connect to the internet. This would be used for our multimedia computer (2.8 Ghz P4, ATI Radeon 9800Pro) and for file transfers between us. Please let me know if any of this is unclear, I kind of rushed it out.

Yes, you could set up your own internal wireless network.

go out from a 2nd nic on a computer used for the internet - turn on ICS on that cmputer and use a crossover cable to go to a wireless router / access popint. - setup the security on that wireless so only you can access it.

P.S - for file trasfers, larger ones - wireless is not too great.

Mr.Guvernment said:
go out from a 2nd nic on a computer used for the internet - turn on ICS on that cmputer and use a crossover cable to go to a wireless router / access popint.
I don't think a crossover cable will do here even if the router has auto detection. You will need a regular straight through cable.

if the router autodetects it wouldnt make a difference as to what kind of cable was used. i believe he said crossover because it would be needed for an access point designed to be wired directly to a switch from a router with a straight-through cable.

it could also be done with a wireless router sitting there, only plugged into power and any comps you cn hook up via wired. then pu the wireless adapters in the comps and you can share files over the wireless network while still using the other network for internet.

but for large transfers i reccoment doing it over cat5 instead of wireless, on 802.11b i get about 6 mb/sec when im lucky, usually around 4, while wired betwen the same comps i get around 65 to 70 mb/sec. ive never tried to stream a dvd quality movie over the wireless, so im not sure how that would go. if it was under 3 or 4 mbps bitrate it sems like it would work, aslong as you dont have interferance problems. at my work i have a problem with my laptop gettin disconnected every time the cordless phone rings. kindof annoying but im the only one who uses wireless.

four4875 said:
at my work i have a problem with my laptop gettin disconnected every time the cordless phone rings. kindof annoying but im the only one who uses wireless.

Might try a different frequency on the wireless...or you could give me your phone number and i'll call every 15 minutes. :)

^^^ yeah

most wireless is 2.4ghz

Cordless phone 2.4ghz
microwaves = 2.4ghz

all in the same range!

Back