• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual PSU cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d_colodny

Registered
I'm putting together a insane rig, but it has equally insane power requirements.

Here's the specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo QX6850 3.0 Ghz
RAM: GeIL Black Dragon 8GB(4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel
Video Card: 2x PNY GeForce 8800 Ultra (SLI) and PhysX Processing Unit
Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
RAID Controller: Onboard :( (The monster videocards take up 2 slots each, blocking the PCIe x1 and one of the PCI slots, the other's used for the sound card)
Optical: 2 DVD burners (waiting on BlueRay for specific parts)
Storage: 6x WD1500AHFD
Floppy: Yes
Power Supply: 2x PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR EPS12V

I plan on splitting the load on each of the PSU's by having them supply power to different components. One each for the video cards (they need 500w each) and the rest split up fairly evenly.

I found a few cases that have space for two power supplies, but their fan configuration does not make for clean airflow. Can anyone recommend a case? It need not have 6 internal 3.5 mounts, I can get adapters for the externals to convert bays as needed, but it does need to have at least one 3.5 external bay.

I'm putting together a insane rig, but it has equally insane power requirements.

Here's the specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Striker Extreme
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo QX6850 3.0 Ghz
RAM: GeIL Black Dragon 8GB(4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel
Video Card: 2x PNY GeForce 8800 Ultra (SLI) and PhysX Processing Unit
Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
RAID Controller: Onboard :( (The monster videocards take up 2 slots each, blocking the PCIe x1 and one of the PCI slots, the other's used for the sound card)
Optical: 2 DVD burners (waiting on BlueRay for specific parts)
Storage: 6x WD1500AHFD
Floppy: Yes
Power Supply: 2x PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW-SR EPS12V

I plan on splitting the load on each of the PSU's by having them supply power to different components. One each for the video cards (they need 500w each) and the rest split up fairly evenly.

I found a few cases that have space for two power supplies, but their fan configuration does not make for clean airflow. Can anyone recommend a case? It need not have 6 internal 3.5 mounts, I can get adapters for the externals to convert bays as needed, but it does need to have at least one 3.5 external bay.

I see nothing there that mandates a dual PSU setup, are you doing it because you want to or because you think you need to?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any reason to run dual PSU's. Get one solid 800 watt, and I would imagine you'll be fine. I think we've got to a point now'a'days, where we see these 1000Watt and DUAL PSU's unit and just think "bigger is better", when that really isn't the case.

Lol

Them cards do not draw 500w.

1x 1KW does good.

There's a 1200/1600 units around too.

I

When it says reccommended psu wattage it does not mean the it takes 500W to run the piece of hardware what it means is that you should have 500W to run the system AND the card

you will be good with 1 solid 800W psu

I would also use some EVGA 8800's as their warranty covers aftermarket coolers which no other company does in case you decide to watercool that whole setup or just use different coolers

Ok, if you guys think I'd be fine with a single PSU, I'm game, it makes my life easier. I'll drop the second 1kw PSU and focus on finding a good case.

That got easier too, as with only one PSU, the selection of cases just increased exponentially. Any suggestions? something with good airflow preferably, I hope OC this as far as I can w/o liquid cooling.

Update:

I found a case, the Cooler Master CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK

Anyone have any knowledge of this case first hand?

Ok, if you guys think I'd be fine with a single PSU, I'm game, it makes my life easier. I'll drop the second 1kw PSU and focus on finding a good case.

That got easier too, as with only one PSU, the selection of cases just increased exponentially. Any suggestions? something with good airflow preferably, I hope OC this as far as I can w/o liquid cooling.

Colodny,

With the quality power supplies available today, I see no reason for getting dual power supplies.

Check out Jonny's reviews here and pick one quality high capacity power supply:

http://jonnyguru.com/reviews.php

Makes life much easier!

Just got a Lian Li PC-A71B Full Tower Dual PSU capable case from Sundialmicro.com. Surprisingly $35 cheaper than the egg and I was able to pick it up at their warehouse in SoCal so saved another $22 for shipping.

I have a Lian-Li PC-G75 case with the side window. Absolutely gorgeous case. Very roomy.

On a side note... just to save you some money... You know that a PhysX cards are basically meaningless nowadays, right? The GPU's themselves do most of the in-game physics calculations... Also, you can get 2 8800GTX's and just overclock them to Ultra speeds to save some money.. Also, 8GB is certainly overkill for systems nowadays... some would even argue that 4GB is overkill. If you're looking to overclock, 4 x 2GGB is not your best choice. Stick with 2 x 1GB or 2 x 2GB. If you're going to be throwing down so much money for a kick-*** system like that, why don't you get yourself either a Q6000 "G0" or a Xeon X3220... The Quad core CPU should allow a little more performance from your video cards as well.. just my $0.02.

-Dave

CM stacker's are nice, I have one setup for my dad and it has great airflow and is quiet. I had to replace the stock fans with some yate loons though because the stock fans weren't very strong.

For your sound card, I'd pick up the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude that just came available. It has all the features of the x-fi cards but with higher quality parts and upgrades on it for cleaner, stronger, and better sound (or thats the idea anyway).

Update:

I found a case, the Cooler Master CM Stacker STC-T01-UWK

Anyone have any knowledge of this case first hand?

I have it, and I absolutely love it. It's insanely gigantic and very heavy, though, but it's a dream to work in.

Why are you getting 2 psus, though? SLId 8800GTXs have been shown already to run just fine on a single 620HX. Dual PCP&C 1000W psus is an absolute waste of money.

Why are you getting 2 psus, though? SLId 8800GTXs have been shown already to run just fine on a single 620HX. Dual PCP&C 1000W psus is an absolute waste of money.

At the advice of many people here, I'm not. I'm getting one PCP&C 1kw PSU.

Back