• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ducky Keyboards now available at NewEgg!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have never actually heard of Ducky keyboards, are they decent? Looking at the prices they seem very steep for a generic themed keyboard with some cosmetic lighting, especially when you can get top line gaming keyboards with that kind of cash.

EDIT: I read a review that mentioned they were mechanical keyboards, I never knew what a mechanical keyboard was till your post lead me to learning more about them :p Now I really want to try one, perhaps my next keyboard will be mechanical lol, Thanks :)

Anytime, those "gaming" keyboards you see mostly use rubber dome instead of mechanical switches, and the longer you use them the stiffer they get, and the nkey rollover registration is atrocious on them. I have a Ducky Shine 2 white led w/ Cherry MX Red switches that I bought from TigerImports, I've used Deck Legends, Filco, DasKeyboard, along with a couple others, I just find that Ducky offers me everything I need, with the lighting being a certain want :)

IMO you will be hard-pressed to find a better keyboard with overall features, HOWEVER, yes a big however, Corsair K60 and K90 are Cherry MX Red switch keyboards that retail at a lower cost and can be purchased at NewEgg, they seem to be holding up for their users, so far at least. For me though, I've had a Ducky since the original Shine and I really don't think I could go to another board unless I see some of the similar offerings (of which there ARE if you look around of course). The raised keys on the Corsair though kind of made me stop looking at it (keeping in mind having tried one they feel in-hand as excellent boards).

I highly encourage people to look at mechanical keyboards :) Is the price a bit on the... high side for "just" a keyboard, sure it is, but whether I'm gaming or just typing on this Ducky Shine 2, I feel like I got my money's worth :) So that I can tell you

ive used the same $10 rubber dome keyboard from walmart for over 5 years still works great lol. not dissing on mechanicals , just saying rubber dome really aren't that terrible.

I would be surprised if either of you have used a mechanical keyboard for a decent length of time and are saying that.

Hey, if rubber domes do fine for you, then by all means no reason to spend extra money when you are content :)

Someone like myself though that either types too fast on those rubber dome boards or plays competitive FPS games like Shootmania, quake live, csgo, etc. etc. I tend to find my hand movements are "too fast" for the keyboards to keep up, as such I made my move to mechanical. If the majority of your gaming belongs in non-fps categories, much less non-competitive categories, or if you aren't a typist, I really see no reason to move to mechanical.

For me it was both the feel and the ability to not be stuck with 2 or 3 keys being pressed locking out any others. My main reasons for going mech at least. But the feel of it... no way to describe it if you have not lain your hands upon a mechanical board.

I would be surprised if either of you have used a mechanical keyboard for a decent length of time and are saying that.

i would be surprised if the last 15 years of computer typing is going to be revolutionized by a keyboard, i have tried them, its not all that amazing.
IMHO

and i do play fps's they are the main games i play. though im not a typist.

Hey, if rubber domes do fine for you, then by all means no reason to spend extra money when you are content :)

Someone like myself though that either types too fast on those rubber dome boards or plays competitive FPS games like Shootmania, quake live, csgo, etc. etc. I tend to find my hand movements are "too fast" for the keyboards to keep up, as such I made my move to mechanical. If the majority of your gaming belongs in non-fps categories, much less non-competitive categories, or if you aren't a typist, I really see no reason to move to mechanical.

For me it was both the feel and the ability to not be stuck with 2 or 3 keys being pressed locking out any others. My main reasons for going mech at least. But the feel of it... no way to describe it if you have not lain your hands upon a mechanical board.

+1 and you really notice a difference. My desktop rig I use a mechanical I've had for years while with my laptop, I bought a cheap rubber dome one. The keys are too soft and I make way more errors when typing on it, finding myself constantly backspacing and correcting double letters. It might suffice for gaming and using only a few keys, but certainly not for typing pages of work. The key if finding which mechanical works best for your style. I like the brown switches myself. Quiet yet with solid strokes of confidence.

+1 and you really notice a difference. My desktop rig I use a mechanical I've had for years while with my laptop, I bought a cheap rubber dome one. The keys are too soft and I make way more errors when typing on it, finding myself constantly backspacing and correcting double letters. It might suffice for gaming and using only a few keys, but certainly not for typing pages of work. The key if finding which mechanical works best for your style. I like the brown switches myself. Quiet yet with solid strokes of confidence.

Exactly, it's finding which switches are for YOU, MX Reds are by far my favs

i type a lot. I'm a writer.

the keyboard i have now is probably the best keyboard i've ever used for typing. It took me a little bit to get used to it, the keys are spaced a bit further apart, but actually that's turned into a plus as i make less errors pressing multiple keys at once when i'm typing very fast (~120-140 wpm).

this includes a couple different mechanical i've tried... I like the... click? not sure how to describe it...

Im actually really interested in getting a mechanical keyboard once i have the money, any recommendations? I mostly play all sorta of games, but i also type allot. I read that Cherry MX Brown was supposed to be decent cross between gaming and typing.

I've just quite recently started on this mech KB journey, and after typing on Blues, gaming with Reds, I don't think I'd go back to plain membrane KBs. Actually, my first mech KB was the CM Storm Trigger Cherry Red. After spending only a few days with it, I decided to dive headlong into mech KBs. Since I have 3 rigs, I've decided to buy more.....bought a Ducky Shine II 78 Version, and a cheap Armaggeddon MKA-3 Cherry Red for my 3rd rig. Now, I feel the Armaggeddon isn't good enough, so I've mothballed it and replaced it with a CM Storm Quick Fire TK Cherry Blue. And since I'm still new at this, I wanted to try a Cherry Black KB since it's said to be best suited for gaming......will be getting my Ducky DK9087G2 Pro Cherry Black tomorrow. Here's a pic of my pride and joy, DS II 78 Version
20130416_202526_zps03e04760.jpg
Tomorrow, I'd laying my mitts on a simple, clean and elegant looking Ducky TKL KB.......love the white keycaps!
DK9087G2P-lrg3.jpg

man that tkl looks awesome lol... it would match the rest of my pc setup quite nicely and wouldnt even sit ontop of my mouse pad!

Just got my DK9087G2 Pro TKL KB, I'd swapped the WASD keycaps with supplied red ones and enabled the LED, looks pretty decent....
20130509_153757_zps2519e5e7.jpg

Im disappointed there's not a rubber ducky on the keyboard, just saying. And thanks to this post I am going back and looking at mechanical boards again....I suppose it would at least look better than the old keyboard I'm using with the letters worn off the keys? :D

Back