• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ebay advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rommie

I've sold a netbook on ebay for $150. The winning bidder wanted to pick it up, which is very impractical for me for several reasons. I stated that only postage was available in the item listing. After mentioning this, he said:
So you would be happy to post the item first, and I'll pay once it arrives in the condition stated in the listing?

I told him that it would be unwise of a seller to post a buyer an item without receiving payment first. I told him that if he was concerned about the actual item being different to what was described, then pay with paypal - item isn't as specified, do a chargeback with paypal and just post it back to me. His reply:
Yes I have concerns regarding the item as you do not allow pickup. Regarding paypal's refund policy it is useless, if the seller withdraws the money before the buyer makes a complaint paypal will not issue a refund. I do not feel comfortable transferring $180 to someone in good faith. Just as you don't feel comfortable posting the item to me in good faith. If you wish to cancel the transaction feel free, but remember that I am more than willing to pickup.

From my experience, paypal will chargeback at the drop of a hat. I posted a 360 to somebody once - the buyer got his money back from my account 72 hours after I posted the item (definately not enough time to receive it). They always seem to rule in favor of the buyer. I'm really sick of these people that bid and then want you to do something that you've stated you can't do in the item description, or ask you to send it to Nigeria offering double the list price, "oh I changed my mind sorry" - plus isn't a winning bid legally binding? I want to be firm with this guy, and pretty much say "you won the item, you understood that pickup was unavailable when you decided to buy it - tough. pay up or get a non-paying bidder report." Where do I stand?

File a non paying bidder complaint and sell to next bidder.

Has scam listed all over it.

Honestly? If people don't use paypal. I do not trust them. 2 bad sales out of thousand on paypal. 9 out of 10 that dont use it.

If someone says "I will send you a moneyorder..." That means.. yeah, don't mark it as pending until you receive the MO.

Cash in hand or no sale.

+1.. things like that is why I still don't use ebay.. it was good at teh beginning until everyone figured out it was easily scammed..

that and that my account was hacked 2x and i refuse to keep getting it fixed.. their security is just pathetic for something so global.

my passwords would take a crack application well over 20days to figure out my pws (thanks to some friends in the security business) so I know it wasn't my fault!

File a non paying bidder complaint and sell to next bidder.

Has scam listed all over it.

Honestly? If people don't use paypal. I do not trust them. 2 bad sales out of thousand on paypal. 9 out of 10 that dont use it.

If someone says "I will send you a moneyorder..." That means.. yeah, don't mark it as pending until you receive the MO.

Cash in hand or no sale.

This right here. This guy is sounding very shady. File non-paying bidder and move on.

On these forums Im more lenient with payment type. But eBay is Paypal or gtfo and Craigslist is cash or gtfo. no exceptions. If someone doesn't want to use those methods then 9 times out of 10 they are trying to screw with you.

If you file NPB soon quick enough, the buyer won't be able to leave retaliatory neg on you for refusing a local pickup. With no Paypal transcation, the buyer will lose the case easily and earn a mark.

Always put - pay within 3 days or pay immediately after purchase.

Always put - paypal only.

Always put - ship to paypal verified address only.

Those solve a lot of potential problems and discourage annoying buyers,

Sounds like the guy wants out of the bid, so I'm inclined to just agree to cancel the bid and sell to the next highest. It's just not worth the bother of filing complaints and responding to his protests. If he doesn't want the item, let him go, and find someone who does want it. It's always better to sell to a willing partner than create a battle. Nobody ever wins in battles, you just get angry and frustrated - life is too short for that.

Reply to him, the laptop is in good working order, he wont be disappointed, but if he wants you will agree to cancel his bid - he has 24 hours to pay.

after messaging and asking me stuff like that, i wouldnt want to post to them atal, that kind of person would be bound to find a fault with it.

I would just file a un paid buyer against them and move on

I have been asked to post stuff before payment as it was a birthday present, and i obviously refused .

Back