• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EMIII in Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Can it be? EMIII in linux? Why yes it can be! I'm this (||) close to have it working.

It doesn't seem to work perfect with the SMP client as the client isn't in *.exe form. I've emailed the creator(Larry) of EMIII about this. I think because I can't get it to select the core I don't get the progress bars, and it doesn't detect the WU correctly. I had to select the core as its in .exe form. Although its getting the tpf.

BEFORE you bother with all the steps below, try this.

http://www.landshark-racing.com/FAH/winegit.zip

note: 64bit user will have to also install some libraries still,

get the libxxf86dga1 package

http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/...a6db2bf5eb44db45cdb3a1337&arch=i386&type=main
Save the files to your desktop.
then:
cd ~/Desktop
dpkg -x libxxf86dga1_1.0.0-0ubuntu3_i386.deb libs
sudo cp ~/Desktop/libs/usr/lib/* /usr/lib32

then install wine with:
sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i wine_0.9.29git_i386.deb.

a lot simpler eh?

Skip down to step 18.

So here is how I got EMIII working.
Here is the link to downloading/setting up the GIT version of wine.
http://wiki.winehq.org/GitWine

Steps from link above slightly modified for debian/ubuntu.

Install the git manager
1) sudo apt-get install git-core

Copies the Wine GIT from server to your computer
2) git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git wine-git

cd's to the wine directory
3) cd wine-git

Configure wine for your system
4) ./configure

(note you might have to install g++ (c++ compiler), flex (another compiler) and bison (another, yes another compiler) "sudo apt-get install g++", "sudo apt-get install flex" and "sudo apt-get install bison")
Also if it gives you a warning about no X support, and needing to install atleast Xfree86 devel files..then you need to "sudo apt-get install xlibs-dev"

(steps 5-14 taken from here.)
5) Download ICU library source from http://icu.sourceforge.net/download/3.4.html#ICU4C . (You want 3.4.1.tgz)

ntar what you just downloaded. You can use ubuntu's archive manager if you want. Just know the directory you untared it to.
6) tar zxvf icu-3.4.1.tgz

7) cd to the directory that you just did above, and then "cd source"

8) LDFLAGS="-L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib32" CC="gcc -m32" CXX="g++ -m32" ./configure

make/compile all the files
9) make

creates a script to make a needed lib file
10) ar t /usr/lib/libsicuuc.a | sed -e 's/ao$/o/' | perl -e 'while(<>){ chomp($_); print "find . -name $_ | xargs ar ruv libsicuuc.a\n"; }' > mkar.sh

makes the lib file
11) sh mkar.sh

copies the lib file you made to the usr/lib32 folder
12) sudo cp libsicuuc.a /usr/lib32/

Hack the wine dlls/gdi/Makefile to include the archive you just copied to /usr/lib32 ...
13) gedit /home/shelnutt/wine-git/dlls/gdi32/Makefile

14) Change:
EXTRALIBS = /usr/lib/libsicuuc.a /usr/lib/libsicudata.a -lstdc++ -lgcc_s
-to-
EXTRALIBS = /usr/lib32/libsicuuc.a /usr/lib/libsicudata.a -lstdc++ -lgcc_s

cd to your Wine directory
15) cd && cd wine-git

make wine!
16) make all

Install!
17) sudo make install

Setup Sidenet
18) To run sidenet, download from here (http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/files/wine-config-sidenet-1.9.2-test2.tgz). Assuming you downloaded to the desktop...
18-1) cd ~/Desktop
18-2) tar -xzvf wine-config-sidenet-1.9.2-test2.tgz
18-3) cd ~/Desktop/wine-config-sidenet
18-4) ./setup

Get EMIII
19) Download EMIII (http://home.comcast.net/~wxdude1/emsite/download.html)

Unzip EMIII
18) Unzip EMIII and place it in the "c" folder under your home directory. (note: if you don't run the sidenet, then in your home directory press ctrl + h to show hidden files, look for .wine, open it and you should see c_drive? open it and if it looks like its a C drive, has program files, windows and other directories, if so copy the EMIII folder here. If not.. :shrug:)

19) Download MSVBVM60.DLL (http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvbvm60), unzip and place it in c:\windows\system32..c is located under your home folder.)

20) Download MSVBVM50.DLL (http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvbvm50), unzip and place it in c:\windows\system32)

21) Make sure your in the wine-git folder. If not cd there

Run EMIII
22) wine "c:\EMIII\EMIII.exe"

23) Have fun!

Let me know how it goes for you.

Last edited:
Being an impatient person I've found a away around not being able to select the client.

Instead of hitting the button to manual find the client, hit the one that auto searches. Then change the name to fah5, instead of winFAH.exe that it puts there.

Also the reason that you do not get ppd and progress pars is because that it was a quick hack done by Dimitry to get EMIII working. I'm not 100% sure what the problem is but it seems that everything is not correctly implemented to allow EMIII to run properly. Its not able to import the wu data along with not being able to access the internet to get total points for your username. I'll work my around and see if I can figure it out but I don't really have any C programming skills.

Also it seem even though the SMP WU's are 302x or so for sum reason in the current.xyz file which is where EMIII grabs the WU info from the work units are listed as <1000..for example the 3025 is 576 and the 3023 is 398...I need to go post on the FAH forms about that unless someone knows why.

Last edited:
OOOOOOO , teacher I don't understand?! What does it mean when you get an error on step 4?

Code:
onfigure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
david@david-toshiba:~/wine-git$

Hack30 said:
OOOOOOO , teacher I don't understand?! What does it mean when you get an error on step 4?

Code:
onfigure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
david@david-toshiba:~/wine-git$

Yes, I forgot about this issue. Its a 64bit issue, it seems to come and go with updates to the gcc.

try "export CC=gcc"
or
update binutils ("sudo apt-get install binutils")

Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
binutils is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

this form the apt-get approach

other approach gives prompt next line down

Last edited:
Hack30 said:
Code:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package libc6-dev-i386

*cough* link *cough*

Download it from the link...I'm in windows right now, I couldn't test to see if it was in the repositories.

duh whats a repository????????

I am a "Linux Noob" yer speakin greek again.

sorry to hear about that windows thing.:rolleyes:

It has its place;)

PS Im messin' around with this on my lappy 32 bit Ubuntu6.10 dual boot.

Last edited:
Hack30 said:
duh whats a repository????????

I am a "Linux Noob" yer speakin greek again.

sorry to hear about that windows thing.:rolleyes:

It has its place;)

PS Im messin' around with this on my lappy 32 bit Ubuntu6.10 dual boot.

Repository = place where bunch of programs are stored. When you do apt-get install x. It searches all the repositories you have listed in the list file. It search all for program x. When it finds x it also checks to see if x needs any other programs to run. If it does then ti search and trys to download y & z so that x can run.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repository

32bit install? Let me go fire up my laptop. I've only tried this on my 64bit desktop.

Hack30 said:
WHoa there don't kill yerself over this yet, let me try this again tomorrow night on the quad beast in the basement. well be talkin the same fruit then;)

I my laptop gets the same error! I will figure this out!

Eureka!!!

"sudo apt-get install g++"

you also need flex and bison.
"sudo apt-get install flex"
"sudo apt-get install bison"

you could do it all in one command. "sudo apt-get install g++ flex bison"

Last edited:
Hack30 said:
its still going ... will do when I get it up ... i can pick up at step 5 after this finishes?

Yes..do you have dial-up? Because if your still downloading the g++/flex/bison then wow, very slow. Took me a whole 14 seconds.

no i ment complying???

Code:
david@david-toshiba:~/wine-git$ cd ~/icu341
david@david-toshiba:~/icu341$ LDFLAGS="-L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib32" CC="gcc -m32" CXX="g++ -m32" ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
david@david-toshiba:~/icu341$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
david@david-toshiba:~/icu341$

more problems:bang head

lol

I forgot a step

once you cd to icu, you then have to "cd source"..your trying to compile from the wrong folder =P

and actually give me 30 seconds here. I am 95% sure that since that your running 32bit you can skip to step 16 and make wine. As 5-14 are for setting up libraries that are not there in the 64bit distro.

Last edited:
no joy same result no such file or directory

Code:
david@david-toshiba:~$ cd ~/Desktop/icu
david@david-toshiba:~/Desktop/icu$ LDFLAGS="-L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib32" CC="gcc -m32" CXX="g++ -m32" ./configure
david@david-toshiba:~/Desktop/icu$ LDFLAGS="-L/lib32 -L/usr/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/lib32 -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib32" CC="gcc -m32" CXX="g++ -m32" ./configure
david@david-toshiba:~/Desktop/icu$

every time i try to get to icu it says no such file
but when i cd ~/Desktop/icu I can get there??? permissions set read-write??

Last edited:
Hack30 said:
no joy same result no such file or directory

skip it. Skip to step 16. I just made("make") wine on my laptop. You don't need 5-14.

P.S. If you though ./configure took a while...:p

Back