• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Engine Showdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which Next Generation Engine do you think will be the best?

• Total voters
For games that are coming out or are near completion (that we think), I think HL2 engine is on top slightly. I'd say not far behind would be the Doom3 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with FarCry almost right on them.

Each engine is done well for what it was intended to do, and they have all done them very well I might add from what we've seen. Another one I'd look out for is the F.E.A.R. also. That does look quiet intresting never the less and has some very good potential.

All in all Unreal3 engine, or what ever they want to call it, well ya its jaw-dropping right now. Then again of course they are just starting with it, the engine is probley not anywhere near done, just enough to show a tech demo of it which was amazing. Either way thats what we'll be looking at for future generation games, and U3 will be the first probley to make that step in the next 18months I bet.

I'm boycotting the poll, every game engine is different. Doom III has the most technology, FarCry looks most beautiful, and HL2 looks most realistic.

The tech demo for Unreal 3 does look real nice, but I haven't seen any pics from stalker.

Personally I have always like the realistic look of Half-Life. It doesn't have the flashy effects of Farcry or Doom III, but the artwork on the textures and things like that make it look more like real life.

Originally posted by YellowDart
Good question though... here's another: If Valve couldn't sell rights to use it's HL engine, since it's based on a heavily modded Quake I engine (but still originally Quake none the less), wouldn't they be barred from selling rights (making money off of sale of) the Source engine, since it's a heavily modded Havok engine (which wasn't originally developed by Valve)???

The source engine isn't a heavily modified havok engine. The source engine is an original, "from scratch," rendering system. It just uses a modified havok for physics. When Valve licenses out the engine, they are licensing out the gfx, sfx, and features like the .txt file to lip synch technology for facial animation. They probably leave the physics out entirely, and let the company that is buying the engine strike their own deal with the havok people. And if that company buys the rights to use the havok engine, then valve can probably sell them their modifications, since that is their code.

My vote goes with source. I think it is as close as we wil get to a "be all, end all" engine anytime soon. Large outdoor environments? Check! Detailed indoor environments? Check! Realtime lighting? Check! Realtime physics? Check! Amazing character technology? Check! Ease of use? Check (well, according to valve, anyways)! Vehicles? Check! Looks like it's got everything covered. That's whay I'm looking forward to in HL2, the ability to do anything I want, because in real life I could so i can.

Back