• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error Codes in Windows 7 and Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipersfate

I'm working on 2 computers currently, and both are experiencing some problems. They are both clear of Malware, Virii and Rootkits. I've run SFCs on both, as well as CHKDSKs.

Computer #1 is an All in One Gateway computer that I'm getting error code 6008 in Windows 7. I can't seem to determine the root cause to this issue. The owner of said computer mentions that the computer is shutting completely down. (It's not a BSOD reboot like I would normally think, just a full shutdown). I've done some research, and 6008 just seems to be a marker of the improper shutdown. There are no other critical errors other than this. Any input on what could be an issue here?

Computer #2 is running Windows Vista, and I'm told by the owner that it's BSODing all the time. I checked the event log and error 41 pops up, which shows a bugcheck, but the bugcheck value is 0 for all hex information. So I cannot find the information required from the system. Any thoughts on this?

Specs and more info can be given if needed. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you upload a picture or capture of the event log? Also, what is the source for the event id's? Error 41 - Kernel power? But what is the 6008 source?

Last edited:
Good deal. On the Windows 7 machine, check the 24pin and 4/8 pin power connector on the motherboard and the PSU itself. Look over the dates of the log, the problem goes from increments of a week down to days, in a few months.

This is a pretty good utility: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Run that on both machines and get some information. Post back if there is something specific i.e. a driver, file, program, or just a regular crash from the system losing power.

As far as the vista machine goes, I will have to keep looking at that one. Kind of giving me a little curve ball!

Thanks for your input. What I did find out, is that the Gateway All in One seemed to be running hot. It was off for over an hour and the back of it was still quite warm. I reseated the CPU and reapplied the thermal compound. It's been on now for just over an hour playing netflix without an issue. It's a lot cooler to the touch. I'll respond with more information about the vista machine shortly.

Just ran the Blue Screen Viewer, and it comes up with 4 crashes. Text file is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7ur430t97rzn57e/Error.txt

Last edited:
hm... Crash address is ntkrnlpa.exe. That is a pretty well known component of the Vista NT kernel. Run cmd as administrator and run the command "verifier"?? The trouble with error 41 is the drivers do not handle power transitions properly. The above command will "stress test" the drivers and cause the system to BSOD, accordingly. There is an update, kind of a hotfix, that you can d/l for windows that may fix the issue. If you need help running verifier, let me know. DO NOT RUN if you have never ran the command before. It can cause the system to fail in a boot loop. It is a good way to rule out/resolve several issues. I suggest, if nothing else, backup the system and create a restore point so you can revert back to something.

Thanks for the information, I've not run a command called "Verifier" before, and it's the first time I'm hearing this. Is it possible a hardware failure could be causing this?

My guesses would be:

Gateway all in one junker is Overheating

The vista thing has either bad hardware, (ram/hd) or windows has corrupted itself. Best way to find out is to DL a live verion of linux Mint, Burn it to a CD, and boot it. While booting it will tell you if the ram is going/gone bad, and if the HD has an I/O error if it gets into the GUI then It will tell you if the HD is failing and how many bad sectors it has.

if none of the above happens you know its a software problem. pulling the HD, copy-paste the desired files, and re-install.

It seems the overheating was the problem. Thanks a ton. I tore down the system, and the fan was quite dirty, the heatsink fins were clogged, and it failed to shutdown anymore.

The other machine, didn't blue screen at all in my possession, I ran a bunch of different stuff to stress the system out while running windows, and it didn't blue screen once. The owner has since picked up the computer, and has not had an issue with it since.

Back