• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga 970GTX SSC 4GB 2.0ACX, what is the most i can get outta this GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

isogamer

I just got this GPU about 3 to 4 days ago. Everything seems to be running fine. I just want to know whats the best overclock settings for this card?

I know the best way to start off overclocking is to move the core clock and the memory clock every 10 to 15+mhz and see whats stable till you hit some artifacts. But to be on the safe side what setting should i be at overall for this card? :

Here is a link that suggest a good overclock settings for this card, but doesn't give any info on my what my voltage should be? :http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/05/08/evga-geforce-gtx-970-ssc-acx-2-0-review/9

I know i have to increase the voltage a bit if you going to overclock the core clock for this card over 1400mhz at least.

MY CPU IS FX 8350 which is overclocked to 4.4ghz with 1.45volts, i put the voltage setting for my north bridge on auto
RAM: 8GB WITH 1866mhz

and 250gb samsung ssd 840.

970.PNG

I just got this GPU about 3 to 4 days ago. Everything seems to be running fine. I just want to know whats the best overclock settings for this card?

I know the best way to start off overclocking is to move the core clock and the memory clock every 10 to 15+mhz and see whats stable till you hit some artifacts. But to be on the safe side what setting should i be at overall for this card? :

Here is a link that suggest a good overclock settings for this card, but doesn't give any info on my what my voltage should be? :http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/05/08/evga-geforce-gtx-970-ssc-acx-2-0-review/9

I know i have to increase the voltage a bit if you going to overclock the core clock for this card over 1400mhz at least.

MY CPU IS FX 8350 which is overclocked to 4.4ghz with 1.45volts, i put the voltage setting for my north bridge on auto
RAM: 8GB WITH 1866mhz

and 250gb samsung ssd 840.

View attachment 174005

Every card is a little different. A good target for 970s, as a rule of thumb, is 1500+ on the core, and 2000+ on the memory.

There is absolutely NOTHING in your stock bios that will allow you to hurt that card. So, bump the voltage, increase the power target to max, and have fun. Just make sure to watch your temps...anything over 70c, and you'll start seeing diminishing returns. Maxwell LOVES to run cool.

Something else to consider. Make sure you download GPUz, and have the sensors tab open during your testing. The Maxwell architecture is plagued by artificially low power limit settings in the stock bios. This is what to look for.

Have GPUz open to the sensors tab during your overclocking test runs, the "PerfCap Reason" line will tell you exactly what's capping the performance at the current settings, and that will allow you to circumvent them for the next run. Watch for "VOP" and "PWR". Green is PWR, power limit. If you're hitting that, that's as far as you'll go....assuming you have the power target slider at it's max. IF the power target slider is at max, and you're still seeing green in the perfcap reason line, you're as far as you're going to go with that overclock....any further raises will be for nothing, as the card will simply throttle itself to get it back under the power limit. (illustration below)

Notice where the green shows up in the 2nd to bottom line (PerfCap Reason). And the corresponding clock drop in the top line? That's the core throttling to get itself back under the power limit. The only way around it is to lower the voltage, and rerun it. If that doesn't get you there, lower the core / memory clocks until you do. OR, run a custom bios.

Welcome to Maxwell.

8x4sZTX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every card is a little different. A good target for 970s, as a rule of thumb, is 1500+ on the core, and 2000+ on the memory.

There is absolutely NOTHING in your stock bios that will allow you to hurt that card. So, bump the voltage, increase the power target to max, and have fun. Just make sure to watch your temps...anything over 70c, and you'll start seeing diminishing returns. Maxwell LOVES to run cool.

So what would that translate to in terms of adding to clock speed and memory? +120 ON CORE and + like 300 on Memory? Or do you actually mean go up to 1500+? Because the slider only goes up to 1000. And for my volt settings it goes only high as 37mV

Back