• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB vs MSI Radeon HD 7970 Lightning 3GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So you think the MSI 7970 is worth the extra $110? If it really can rival the 680 and beat the 670 it may be worth it I would think?

Its up to you. Honestly, unless you are really pushing the clocks for 24/7 Operation, they run neck and neck in most games. Its not until the 7970 hits mid 12xx on the core that it will start to pull away from a similarly clocked 680.

If you are rocking multimonitor, you would want the extra 1GB of memory the 7970 offers though.

Well I will probably only be running a single monitor but I would like the best I can get for the price. I want the smoothest game play I can get with some decent high fps without spending thousands. Picky I know but I think that's what everyone wants.

Oh.. may have gotten you confused with someone else wanting multi monitors. Honestly its up to you.

Single monitor at 2560x1440 Im fine with 2GB. My 680 pounds through anything quite well at that resolution. I wouldnt pay that much of a premium for a 7970. For the same cost as a 680, grab a 680.

The 7970 is not worth $110 more than the GTX 680, its worth the same, but not more. Spending $400 + is agonising and understandably hard to know what to spend it on when there is nothing to chose between them.

It really is down to do you like Green or Red? if your not fussed about that which clearly your not, it is literally just what is cheaper?

Can you post links to all the cards your looking at?

Last edited:
Sorry I meant the 7970 is $110 more than the 670 not the 680.

It sure as hell isnt worth that much overt the 670. And prices being so close for the 7970 and 680, it comes down to if you want to push that 7970 to mid 12xxMhz to beat out a similarly clocked 680. You cant go wrong with either card if the prices are the same. If I had a choice between the 7970 Lightning and a 680, I would take the 7970 Lightning though. But for me, I benchmark and will use the features you are paying for. You on the other hand will not use the voltage leads, or unlocked bios etc. So its up to you if you would like to pay for a premium you likely will not be using.

That ^^^^

We have gone back to where i have said the GTX 670 is 5 / 10% off the GTX 680 / 7970. its the best value cards right now in that range.

Last edited:
If you want to game and are on a budget so to speak the gtx670 ftw is a great choice!
If you intend to bench with it get a 7970 Lightning :D If not, a reference 7970 non ghz edition should be cheap. I've seen some for 370usd, and that's just a better deal than the 670.

I'm really liking the 7970 Lightning I do prefer nonrefrence coolers myself but the only problem is the DVI connections on the back. On newegg it says its single link dvi and the dvi connectors are in blue but they look like standard dual link and it also comes with a dvi adaptor so idk what to think about that? Idk if its single or dual or what the adaptor is. Can someone set me straight?

Yeah because the Catleap Q270 uses DL DVI so I assume I need a dl dvi on the gpu as well?

Blah so would I need a different card? Or can I get some kind of adaptor to make it work?

ED, did you say the DVI-D will run 2560x1600? is there an adapter that will convert DVI-D to DL DVI?

DVI-D and DL DVI are two different things:
277px-DVI_Connector_Types.svg.png

DVI-D is digital only, which means you can covert it to HDMI with a passive adapter. Passive to VGA will not work.

DVI-A is analog only, so you can go passive to VGA. Passive to HDMI will not work.

DVI-I is both. You can go passive to HDMI or VGA, it'll work fine.

If you go from DVI-A to DVI-I to HDMI, it will NOT work, since the original port can only output an analog signal.

Dual link vs single link is simply terms of bandwidth, has nothing to do with the type of signal. Anything higher than 1080P usually needs the additional bandwidth that dual link provides.

Last edited:
Back