• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experts need help!! Water temp = 30.6 C?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpapag

I measured the temp of the water at the bottom of the T line. The T line is just after the outlet barb on the core. Temp of DI water in a cup at room temp was 23.6 C Temp of DI water in the T line while system was at full load was 30.6 C Temp of water after comp set for 1 hour after complete shut down was 26 C.
MBM 5 reports 45 C full load, 41 C idle. This is at 13 x 166 at vcore of 1.70. I'm waiting on a probe so I can stick it near the CPU core and get an actual temp reading at full load. My system has only 1 panaflo fan and a shroud. I don't think that the fan is spinning at a high RPM because it is very quiet. Everything else has been hooked up properly. Are my water temps too high? Given that my water temps are at 30.6 C, is there a way to estimate for now what the temp of the CPU on die is? MBM 5 only reports the area below the core.

It might not be dramtically bad but if you want to improve things you probably could. High ambient/load temps + high water temps is a sign that the radiator is not giving enough heat off. With better airflow (or waterflow) you could boost this capability and reduce temps. The Panaflow low-noise fan looks like a good scapegoat to me. :)

ummm.... do u have a submerged pump? if u do, that's just one more thing adding heat to yer system... most submerged pumps can be modded (like mine... it's a "my little pump" brand, or whatever brand that ace hardware sells... fountain pump) to be inline. my temps on my test setup greatly improved when i put it inline....

i still haven't tested it on my system yet.... that's the thing about putting it inline,.... getting the stupid leaks out of the setup.

Last edited:
30.6C water temps on the return from CPU are pretty good (I'm assuming you put the "T" on the line returning from the CPU). I'd be looking to make sure the block is mounted good (may not be making good enough contact to transfer heat).
The built-in temp sensors may be off, I've seen some that were reporting as much as 10C more than the actual temp of the CPU.

Do you have a small temp probe on a long wire? Maybe you can thread it directly into the CPU's waterblock (going in through the "T" and making a left, hehe :D :eek: :D

You have to drag and drop the URL into your address bar

Ummm, have you tried flipping the fan to the otherside of the heater core? I've always been told it's better to have the fan pull air through than push.

Doubt that will lower your temps alot, but it might make a noticable difference

That was one of my next steps, but the fan is pulling air through the rad and blowing it outside.

what rad? how much flow is actually going thruough it?

Jon

dpapag said:
That was one of my next steps, but the fan is pulling air through the rad and blowing it outside.

Yea, but its pulling air thats been warmed by, cpu, NB, vpu, pump...and then going thru the rad. I think if you flip it and pull fresh air thru it you will get much better temps. BTW what does MBM say your case temps are? Thats the temp of the air you got going thru your rad.

peace.
unloaded

Woops, heatercore I mean. The case temp is 26.9 C I guess 69 CFM is whats traveling through the rad. I'm going to set another panaflo so that its blowing through the rad without a shroud just to see if there is any difference in temps.

WatercooledSetup.jpg

do u have fans installed in your in the back of ur case? (exaust fans) I have the same case, and if u don't put fans in the back (which looks like it from the pic) hot air will just keep rotating inside the case.
my cpu temps went from 42c down to 35c after i installed my fans in the back again.
Thats also why most manufac. computer systems have only exaust fans installed and no intake.

dpapag said:
The case temp is 26.9 C I guess 69 CFM is whats traveling through the rad

I'm hardly an expert so maybe someone will say i'm wrong, but those numbers don't sound very good to me.

My case rarely rises above 22C and I have a Med Speed panaflo that claims 84.5cfm and I can barely hear it when it's right beside my head. Can't hear it all inside my case.

Last edited:
SiliconX said:

I'm hardly an expert so maybe someone will say i'm wrong, but those numbers don't sound very good to me.

My case rarely rises above 22C and I have a Med Speed panaflo that claims 84.5cfm and I can barely hear it when it's right beside my head. Can't hear it all inside my case.

voltmod.jpg

Yep, there are 2 exhaust fans in the back, and an intake fan on the side panel of the case. Is this the panaflo that you have at:
http://www.directron.com/120l1a.html
That's what I have. The exahust fans may not be powerful enough to get the job done. They are located at http://store.yahoo.com/nexfan03/tucafan804.html
What would you recomend that is quiet but has a high CFM?

Last edited:
I have the next step up Panaflo for cfm. It is 84.5cfm and 35db I think?

I dunno, I don't wanna suggest you go buy new fans because like I said, i'm not an expert and I don't wanna see you spend money that you don't have to.

Try reversing your heatercore fan so you're getting fresh air instead of case air. I think that would be a good place to start and it doesn't cost a thing except time :)

Lemme get this straight, dpapag, you have a 120mm@69cfm pulling air out the front and 2 80mm@31cfm each pulling air out the back (PLUS the PSU's fan pulling air out)...I'm guessing you like negative pressure?

Maybe you should try flipping the 80mm exaust fans around until you make the heatercore use external air instead of internal air. If you do have the fans setup like I think, that 120mm is flowing well below the cfm its rated for.

HiProfile said:
Lemme get this straight, dpapag, you have a 120mm@69cfm pulling air out the front and 2 80mm@31cfm each pulling air out the back (PLUS the PSU's fan pulling air out)...I'm guessing you like negative pressure?

Maybe you should try flipping the 80mm exaust fans around until you make the heatercore use external air instead of internal air. If you do have the fans setup like I think, that 120mm is flowing well below the cfm its rated for.

word

fans should suck through the radiator

Well I guess my idea of sucking air outside of the case through the core isn't working too well. I'm going to switch it around ad see what happens.

Last edited:
Back