• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Farcry + $400 6800GT = Unstable!?!?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
As the title sez, I can only play for maybe *MAYBE* 4 mins b4 it locks up. Prime checks out ok :temper:

I know its gotta be a driver issue. Anyone have a solution?

Sentential said:
As the title sez, I can only play for maybe *MAYBE* 4 mins b4 it locks up. Prime checks out ok :temper:

I know its gotta be a driver issue. Anyone have a solution?

when i put in my gt my cpu OC got unstable, i had to bump the Vcore up a little, should try changing the fast writes option in bios

Like I said, Prime is 100%. That indicates to me that its a video issue. Do you mean upping the AGP voltage?

or try changing the fast write options like the dude said. That sometimes fixes things.

Think about this for a second:

Gaming: Full load CPU + Full load GPU + basically Full load memory use = full PSU load.
Priming: Full load CPU + marginally loaded memory != full PSU load.

Getting the idea? Bobmanfoo is basically saying that his CPU overclock became unstable after adding his new GPU, likely because of the extra draw on his entire system while playing games.

how about other games or beches Sen??? were you able to 3dmark? BF:V? etc. Tried lowering the CPU clock? Try and see what stops you from freezing.

Sent did you upgrade to the new Far Cry Patch? There was some mention about the new patch adding support for the 6800

That's actually a more common issue than one would think. But, the 1.2 patch is supposed to fix that up. Run your computer 100% stock and see if that causes any problems with you.

Tried running stock, still there. Im about to reformat. Fortunatly I bought this vcard locally. If this BS dosnt stop within 14 days, the POS is going back. And my PE will be re-ordered.

As much as I liked nVidia, I was hoping this card would pull them from the brink. But if I keep getting these issues, back to ATi I shall go.:temper:

BTW, all my volt rails look fine. Its either heat or software related. So no one else has these problems on a GT?

12v rail is between 11.86v - 11.98v. It fluxuates on load.

Well, according to most benchmarks, FarCry favors the ATi more. So if that's what you are going to be playing mainly, I say go ahead and take up that PE :D

i'd go ahead and try bumping the Vcore up a notch. i had the same exact problem you did when i installed my GT. everything was fine till i started a 3D app. then it started crashing and rebooting. and my cpu was prime stable.

it might be a power issue, are you using a dedicated molex? i just moved from an Antec true330w because it seemed a bit lacking, OCByagi was having some problems with the true550W THREAD , been seeing alot of antec power issues lately. its seems that weak +12v rails aren't cutting it anymore

Upped the vcore...same issue. Upped AGP voltage....SAME ISSUE :mad: . CHANGED DRIVERS.....SAME F-ING ISSUE.

Ive had enough. Unless a complete re-format fixes this...ITS GONE. I EXPECT BETTER FROM A $400 CARD :temper:

Um, maybe you just got a bad card? Try out a replacement before deciding to wait 3 months for that XT.

I had the same problem when having my CPU oc'd... I noticed when Im oc'd, I can play the game for maybe 5min max, then it shuts off... if I turn off the oc'ing, I can run it for as long as I want to play.

Did you try the 61.76 drivers? How about looping 3Dmark a few times.. Could be a memory issue..did you try relaxing the timings? I would think your PSU would be sufficient, but that could be an issue..

I can't think of anything else off hand. It really doesn't seem like a video card problem though as I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem - but I haven't looked either..

What resolution does it lock up on? All of 'em?

Last edited:
Raised the vcore slightly, and went to the official drivers. It hasnt crashed on my yet <knock on wood>. It was probly a driver issue, glad it wasnt something I cant fix.

Back