• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally Going Cold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It wasn't ever on my front porch, FYI. We live in a townhouse and there is a mail kiosk. It was delivered in a locked box. No one except our postal carrier and me had their hands on it on delivery day after it left the post office. That argument holds no water.

It wasn't ever on my front porch, FYI. We live in a townhouse and there is a mail kiosk. It was delivered in a locked box. No one except our postal carrier and me had their hands on it on delivery day after it left the post office. That argument holds no water.

good to know! i will quote you on that in my argument tomorrow. anyways, enough drama right. party is on at hokie's house in a few days! could i ask if you are going to go live for it! i would love to see that my money is going to good use :bday:!

Hokie & cold.nut,
Sorry to hear of the USPS fubar; I hope the PO pays the claim, they reneged on my insurance claim when they lost/mis-delivered...or stole an Apple laptop I sold on ebay. 2-1/2 years later I'm still PO'd.

good to know! i will quote you on that in my argument tomorrow. anyways, enough drama right. party is on at hokie's house in a few days! could i ask if you are going to go live for it! i would love to see that my money is going to good use :bday:!

Definitely going live. No idea when though. Family is in town this weekend, so it may be later next week before I can get to it.

Definitely going live. No idea when though. Family is in town this weekend, so it may be later next week before I can get to it.

sounds great :thup:. i am super excited to see what is cooking under your sub-zero hands!

coldnut, I have no problems loaning my pot to teammates. but we have the party coming up and will need it for that, if you can wait till after that I would ship it to you. Main reason I am offernig to Hokie as for the review. We also have a team loaner pot. That will be coming to the party too, if you are wanting to go cold before nov19 I would contact Brolloks or Sno and see if they can get it to you. but know it will have to be returned before then.

Ok, so I just heard from the post office (better a couple hours late than never). A very nice lady had me email photographs of the item and the package in its condition. She is forwarding the information to both the local mail reroute station and the mail recovery center - items apparently fall out of packages all the time and the mail recovery center is literally a postal service lost and found.

She described the automated systems - packages are on conveyors that just fall off into bins, constantly beating on each other. So let this be a lesson people - pack your stuff (especially heavy things that can eat the corners of packages) very, very well. She said it's possible that someone wanted it, but there an equally strong chance it just fell out.

Sorry to say that she confirmed an insurance number would be linked to the delivery confirmation number for the package and there was none, so the package came uninsured. I think the guy at the post office cold.nut was talking to didn't even charge for it.

Someone from the mail recovery center / reroute station will call me if they locate anything.

New pot *should* be at the post office. Was hoping it came Monday so I had more time to prep, as such it may be next week b/f going cold. We'll see. PM'ed Duniek at XS to see if he minds pics of the internals or not. He posts them himself of new items, so I don't foresee a problem, but it's always best to ask the maker. :)

We also have a team loaner pot. That will be coming to the party too, if you are wanting to go cold before nov19 I would contact Brolloks or Sno and see if they can get it to you. but know it will have to be returned before then.
I think Voidn currently has his hands on that now for two weeks, as a heads up.

Pot's here and good LORD it is heavy. Six lbs according to the packaging, with a very light aluminum extension and mounting hardware. Going to see if I can clean it up and make it shiny again (helloooo ketchup bottle).

Pot's here and good LORD it is heavy. Six lbs according to the packaging, with a very light aluminum extension and mounting hardware. Going to see if I can clean it up and make it shiny again (helloooo ketchup bottle).
:shrug:

you might be able to use some vinegar VERY carefully in the bottom to clean out the divets in there if you can't get it with the ketchup...bit harsher of an acid than ketchup (ketchup is hardly acidic) so be careful with time in contact. You could also try steel woll if you have any stubborn patches.

Meh, I'm just cleaning the exterior to make for better looks. I'm not even getting the inside wet. It works (or so I'm told), so I'm leaving the interior alone and let it be its oxidized, cold self. :)

Well, I don't know about cold, but for soldering irons, oxidized tips definitely transfer heat worse.....i guess the best would be to try it and see first before you do anything. Just a though, what will the acetone do to the oxidation?

Good question, and I'm not sure. The guy before me used it with LN2 and DICE, so I presume not much. You should have seen sno's F1EE before he got rid of it (at least I think it was sno's) - not a shiny, light-reflecting surface on the it anywhere.

That could just be tarnishing. Like pewter from heat, but in this case for cold. My pot has no shiny spots, but it does it's job. :shrug:

Back