• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally Going Cold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I went to a craft store and bought a styrofoam plug, the sort of thing they use in the base of vases to arrange fake flowers with. It was slightly too small in diameter, so I taped papertowel around the bottom of it, so it fits perfectly in the opening of the dewar. Might work for your dewar cap. :thup:

Glad to see it coming along. I forget where we left off last we mentioned it, but I'll cover your first fill. Do you have pricing yet?

EDIT: I see 1.25/L above. good deal

Last edited:
Unfortunately the $1.25 price is not available. I've called everywhere. The best deal I could find after calling every place I could locate will fill the tank is $48.xx plus 6.5% NC sales tax, so roughly $52. They won't partial fill (for the obvious reason that they won't be able to see in the tank due to LN2 boil-off). You personally definitely won't cover it, but that's a very kind offer, thank you. If iNet wants to since it's for an article, I wouldn't turn them down. :p

EDIT - As a side note, NC State has LN2 that they might be willing to sell, but I can't leave campus with it, so there goes my only avenue for cheap LN2.

Do you have a computer Engineering/EE or Comp Sci department?

Who, NC State? I'm not a student, but yes they have a CE / EE / CS department. The department I was trying to get LN2 out of was Physics.

Partial fills are for ******* anyways. :) $50 is a good deal. Fairly reasonable for a weekend of benching or a very long evening/night.

50$ is a bargain for a 30L fill imo, if you dont live in a area with alot of ln2 use it will usually cost you more than that, costs me about 75$ for a warm fill of my 30L, 60-65 for a cold fill.

How do they charge via warm and cold? They can't have any way of knowing the actual volume they are using - none of those tanks have gauges worth crap!

That is a tough deal.

They do it by if theres still some ln2 in the dewar or not, if theres still some in there then its considered a cold fill, if there isn't any they consider it a warm fill. Their reason is that if its warm its boiling off more to complete a full fill of it.

Back