• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally Going Cold

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great suggestions guys, thanks! Completely forgot about JB WELD. That stuff holds anything. It's like epoxy on steroids.

EDIT - Went to their site and checked the FAQ:

Q: Will J-B Weld hold up to extremely cold temperatures?

A: J-B Weld has proven to maintain its characteristics to temperatures as low as -67 degrees F.

So it won't maintain its characteristics to -76°C. Considering it's basically a brand-name epoxy, I wonder if there are any other options.

EDIT2 - This particular epoxy seems to hold up to 3,000 PSI tensile shear adhesion at -50°C.

Last edited:
The bracket may not get that cold, especially if you don't insulate the outside of it.
-76*f is -60*c, that's not that much warmer then the coldest possible, i think it'd work.

Side note: AudioA is the only guy I've ever heard of who had success in JB-Welding his radiator, I'm impressed!
Fiberglassing it is an excellent idea too, that will help it's strength tremendously.
All in all, an 80+ gold post from Mr. Audio!

THat exact same thing happened to me with a BartX pot I had. It broke into ~4 pieces, super glue held just fine in fact it was stronger than it was originally!

Great suggestions guys, thanks! Completely forgot about JB WELD. That stuff holds anything. It's like epoxy on steroids.

EDIT - Went to their site and checked the FAQ:

Q: Will J-B Weld hold up to extremely cold temperatures?

A: J-B Weld has proven to maintain its characteristics to temperatures as low as -67 degrees F.

So it won't maintain its characteristics to -76°C = -104.8 °F. Considering it's basically a brand-name epoxy, I wonder if there are any other options.

EDIT2 - This particular epoxy seems to hold up to 3,000 PSI tensile shear adhesion at -50°C.
Embed some sort of high tensile mesh into it and it will hold even if it cracks.
Try some JB on a test piece and put it in the DI and then test the adhesion and tensile properties before you commit.

Last edited:
Heh, tonight's session killed it so I'll have to try something before going cold next time. Super glue is easy and available right now. Since 87dtna had success, it doesn't hurt to try. Worst that can happen is it breaks in the same place and I have to move on to JB Weld. :)

hokiealumnus said:
pot-installed-1.jpg

pot-installed-2.jpg
Bump from the depths.

To quote professor Farnsworth, "Good news everybody!"

My first LN2 experience was at IMOG's house with him, mdcomp, splat, ghost_recon88 & EnablingWolf. It's like an overclocking vampire...once it bites you, DICE just isn't as good any more. Pouring is SO much easier than constantly spooning and stirring, babysitting the pot rather than benching like you should be.

As such, thankfully I have just secured a trade deal for a 31L dewar. I got a quote a while ago from a local shop for $1.25/L LN2 and have been on the prowl. With no money, it had to be done via trade. Finally that has come to fruition. Giraffe pot, meet Gamma (not creative, I know).

dewar-label.jpg

dewar.jpg

Unfortunately I can't stream my first session as it will probably happen with a chip that no one is allowed to see at the time. If I feel ambitious, I may record it with the camcorder and, if anything good happens, I'll make a youtube video out of it. :)

I bet that giant pot is amazing with LN2 due to huge capacity VS other smaller pots. Looking forward to seeing this mystery cpu benched later.

Hah, that's probably how much LN2 I can afford. :p

(Assuming I can get hardware sold to afford a dewar.)

Wow looks like a sweet setup Hokie :) I just read about your mishap with the USPS. I've had my share of issues with them as well. They should just go ahead and privatize the damn thing and let UPS, FedEx, DHL, and the USPS all compete. It'd make service better for sure.

Oh and.... WAHOOWA!!! :D :D

What about buying from that surplus store? Really cheap over there.

Yep, that's what I'm selling hardware to do. Someone has to buy it, then I have to transfer it to checking (assuming they don't take paypal). Clock's ticking (at least I hope -as does every AMD fan- that it is).

Dewar is on its way from Black Hole Surplus! Ended up being $125 + $59.12 shipping. Whenever Bulldozer's time comes, I'll be ready. :attn:

(Photos will follow upon its arrival of course.)

Nice, I may need to be contacting them in the future. Not to far from home.

CG on getting your setup.

Back