• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Mod!! Lots of Pics! 'Circuit Board Effect'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
O/C saves me from so much boredom at work :beer:

DerekDRP said:
thanks safronz ( what do you think about the heating ) is the heat distrubtion good or bad I heard they are bad due to its being acrylic and not alumunim .

Don't know yet, haven't put in my computer yet! I think I'm doing that tonight, I'll let you know how the temps look.

I have an old Picture trail accoutn i purchased back in December that i still have 4 months left on. If you want the accoutn you can have it. It will host up to 500mb.

Fantastic concept. Now that I see the pictures, looks like youve implemented it with good forethought.

What did you use for the via's (througholes)? They look like just regular washers.

Also, to get the chip to show up a little more, you may have it mounted a little close to the top of the case. The case will naturally reflect some of the UV light back inwards. So if you have it mounted with about a 3/4" gap between the top of the case and the top of the chip, you should get some UV hitting the top of the chip and showing off your green accents.

Hamspiced said:
I have an old Picture trail accoutn i purchased back in December that i still have 4 months left on. If you want the accoutn you can have it. It will host up to 500mb.

I wanted something more permanent...I don't want to have to go back and change where I host the pics more than once. How much does that place charge per year or per month? Maybe I can extend the acct. or something. Thanks ham!

Fushyuguru: Sounds like you know some physics (I'm not very good in this subject, but I continue to learn) ...Yea those are just regular washers, nothing fancy :) I don't know if I will be able to set the proc that far back, those wires are in the way. I might be able to get 1/2 a cm of clearance at most, thanks for the help! I'll go home and mess around with that tonight.

safronz said:
Fushyuguru: Sounds like you know some physics (I'm not very good in this subject, but I continue to learn) ...Yea those are just regular washers, nothing fancy :) I don't know if I will be able to set the proc that far back, those wires are in the way. I might be able to get 1/2 a cm of clearance at most, thanks for the help! I'll go home and mess around with that tonight.

Yeah I know quite a bit. Electrical Engineering, we had to take 2 years of physics and a year of materials. Nowadays it seems to just come naturally though from working on different things.

And no problem. Anytime.

obsolete said:
Funny thing came to mind when I read this thread. Probably going to get slammed, but oh well. One, this thread would have got 3 replies had it been a guy. And two, the project looks ok, but I'm not all to impressed by it. All the lights & such on everything kind of looks tacky.

While your at it though, mount a disco ball on the side or top.

Ouch, well hey if you don't like it - cool, don't come back :)

EDIT: I do welcome "constructive" criticism, however that was not very constructive was it Obsolete?

obsolete said:
Funny thing came to mind when I read this thread. Probably going to get slammed, but oh well. One, this thread would have got 3 replies had it been a guy. And two, the project looks ok, but I'm not all to impressed by it. All the lights & such on everything kind of looks tacky.

Someone finally comes up with a truly original concept, puts thought into it, executes it, and succeeds. Jealous? Lets see your mod. :rolleyes:

Lets make a constructive conjecture; in your avatar, you have what looks to be a pre-modded Raidmax case (definitely not Xaser) with 2 compunurse thermometers and a couple of blue CCFL's. I applaud your originality and creativity.

Last edited:
obsolete said:
...this thread would have got 3 replies had it been a guy.

I would chaulk up those three posts. I saw plenty to talk about there. Who cares who built it, wheres your focus?

obsolete said:
...but I'm not all to impressed by it.

By all means, please step up.

Wow, first time I have heard a girl do this sort of thing. Really nice case, I'm a guy and I know for sure that I can't do anything even close to that. I once tried a mod on an I Mac for the hell of it. Basically what I did was take it out to the woods (aka friends backyard) took a really big sledgehammer..and WHACK!! Broke that POS into a million pieces. Q.E.D. *****! Ya, so that was my mod, I'm glad to see yours is progressing a lot better.

Obsolete: Dude, don't rant on other peoples creativity and skill, just because you got none yourself. Besides where is your mod? That POS in the avatar? Wow did you install a window fan all by yourself? You must be the talk of the neighborhood. Don't like don't respond. You are the kind of guy who the only other thing you could have said besides: " Mount a disco ball on the side or top" was stating that you think it's "gay" so nobody will question your sexuality.

congrats on a nice case , reminds me of my many adventures in case building

Jen

This mod rules! Really nice work, this is a very original idea and it looks very nice. Congratulations!

Originally Posted by obsolete

A way with words you have. First you need to review the forum policies man. You violated two rules.
9. Sexual Harassment of ANY KIND will not be tolerated in our Forums. Anyone found doing this will be immediatly banned.
8. Racial, Sexist or Religious slights of any kind are absolutely not tolerated and will be dealt with accordingly.

i honestly didnt know she was a girl untill we chatted online and she said she had a b/f on the forums. the nail polish didnt phase me. i see lots of goth wannabes around campus with it.

Second, her ideas and things she has done are giving me ideas for things for my case. thats what we do here as a community, we work off of each others ideas and provide constructive feedback.

The only constructive part of your post was the disco ball comment. That would be very cool, and i suggect you attempt it in your case. Ive seen quite a few small disco balls on e-bay for under 10 dollars (Linky) and they look small enough to fit in your case if you sleeved your wires and maybe got rid of a fan or two.
MIRRORBALL4inchinhandOPT.jpg

However, a disco ball wouldnt necessarily follow the theme of safronz's case. how cool it may be in another case, but in this particular case it just seems tacky.

Well i can see POSSIBLY safronz getting only three posts, but that is considering its a very slow week, the picture host was giving red X's and people arent interested in origionality because first post would be a post reguarding her origionality, second post would be for the idea of using UV pen ink on the processor, and third post would be a random bashing of AMD due to massacareing the AMD CPU :)

Anyways Safronz.

You are more then welcome to have my old account. Its capable of holding 500 images or 500 megs which ever is first. However it is 19.95 a year, for 19.95 a year you could find a better place to host for cheaper and more storage. but if you want to run out my contract till the end of Dec. your more then welcome to.

I find it quite trivial, as to what Obsolete posted. If you have nothing positive to say, or atleast combat with, why post?

I see a few things out of such a post:
1. No mod of his own to help provide what he thinks is a good mod.
2. A negative attitude towards how many posts have been placed here, even though he could go look at Fush Zero's mod (no offense) and find just as many, if not more, spam posts. You're on a modder's forum, it is BOUND to happen.
3. A sarcastic response as to what kind of constructive criticism he might have. A disco ball? Lame, even at it's best.

I need not quarrel with him, it's a waste of my time. Besides, like Safronz already said, "don't come back." Best way to put it for a loser such as Obsolete.

DerekDRP said:
thanks safronz ( what do you think about the heating ) is the heat distrubtion good or bad I heard they are bad due to its being acrylic and not alumunim .
The case material is essentially irrelevant to how well the PC is cooled.
Aluminum is inherently no better ( or worse) than steel, same with acrylic.

Wow I just read this whole thread. It is sooo awesome. I think you mod ranks up there with with Fushy's past mod's originalty. In my book your mod and his mods are pretyt high. Your work has eared my modding respect. I really love it, thats such a cool mod.

I like how you got your idea and executed it. I wish I could have thought of something like that and even did it. I applaud ur effort and work, keep it up.

@obsolete- no offense to you but what you said seems to me you flamed her.. You may have been just giving you honest opinion but it sounded to me and others as pretty harsh. :( Theres a fine line between flaming/criticism and constructive criticism...

You have given me sooo many ideas, same for some of the posts here. Ham has given some nice ideas too.

obsolete said:
That comment was a bit exagerated, but more less saying a lot of posts could have been avoided if the thread starter wasn't a female. How thats harassement or sexual harassment, is beyond me, let's not make something out of nothing, mmmK?

Let's also not be contradicting, it's like you said, if you don't like it, don't read it or don't comment.

For your first statement: implying that the only reason that she has gotten so many posts is because she is female is not belittling her in any way? I say she has gotten so many posts because her case is GOOD, you say its because she is a girl. I bet half the people that posted in this thread did not know that the thread starter was female until after they posted. Lets be realistic... many people don't read the thread... they just look at the pictures. We're not making something out of nothing, we're just thinking about it more than you did when you posted it.

To your second statement, which is a fallacy unto itself: If you truly believed that, you would not have posted your original comments.

Well damn. I had a bunch of stuff typed out and now its gone... what is up with these forums not saving the text if you move to a page and come back. Other forums dont do that! oh well.......

Anyway Ill try and remember what i put.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I thinik this is a great mod. When I look at a mod and judge it I look at if they put hard work into it. Its obvious there was a lot of hard work that went into this. Some people will throw some UV lights/fans and such into their case and call it a mod. In a way I guess it is, but come on, what work or creativity goes into something like that? Now if they were to sleeve their cables or do something cool to their cable routing then i can see that as being a valid mod. This mod was WAY more than just rotating a screwdriver to put in a fan or 2.

I also look at how it stacks up aginst other mods. There are hundreds out there and about 80% of them are the same old window with some lights and a switch. Its cool an all, and im really putting them down, but it just doesnt stand out. This mod is in the top 20% of the mods that are unique, creative, and products of hard work.

I think its WELL worth more than "while your at it, mount a disco ball on the top." I dont care about the other statements that you diddnt like it, thats all up to you. What I am bothered by is your statement about it getting a lot of posts because its a girl doing the mod. You need to take into account that she has updated it more than twice with more pictures. Its going to get more attention that way. And besides, what wrong with supporting a woman modder? Its not like there are a lot out there. Are you trying to keep women away from modding for some reason? Its ignorant to think that the only reason there could be so many comments and replies is because the modder is a girl.

About the mod. One thing that I think would make this mod REALLY cool is if you sit there and make a bunch of tiny traces beside the big ones. Not to block the view of the inside but just to make it more detailed. Maybe just sit there with a UV reactive pen and a ruler and start going crazy with it. Just something to think about.

Back