• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Mod!! Lots of Pics! 'Circuit Board Effect'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SniperXX said:
I think that would be cool. Would that momentary voltage blow a trace tho? How much power could momentarily flow through? Or does the switch have very low voltage flow through if any? Sorry I never tested if any power flowed through when you hit the switch... just never had a reason too.

Maybe, but I doubt it. There shouldn't be enough current going through there to blow a trace.

MoonWolf said:
Maybe, but I doubt it. There shouldn't be enough current going through there to blow a trace.

Ok, that was my guess but I had no clue.

Could anyone test that for us who has some free time and a volt meter? Would take like a few min max.

haha we totally destroyed her picture hosting bandwidth limit. I'd say you have a preaty good thread going safronz... I'd say that this thread is far from obsolete. wam blam thank you mam...

Screw the schematics. Grab a pice of foil (or several pieces) and poke all the pins though it to make ALL the pins connect. the cut it down so you dont see it from the sides.

BTW the athlon has the pins bent, i just remembered. I do have a 2100 paly that you could use. Im pretty sure its dead. It might run if you screw around with the bridges a little bit but i dont have the time nor is it a good proc anyways (never OCed more than like 100mhz).

safronz said:
Hey Alice I appreciate your support, I just took a look at your threads and I've got to say they are beyond me. It's easier for people to post on a mod because of the pics, but your threads come with intelligence. I'd like to learn some of that stuff!

Awww... You're sweet.

Today was quite a productive today! First I sleeved the wire leading to my power switch (this is an idea I got from Ham's Project "I Wanna Be Like Shayne"

BEFORE:

powerwire.jpg

AFTER:

powerwire2.jpg

Then I started looking at the circuit board for the power buttons-

powerbutton.jpg

So I decided to whip out my uv pens and have a go at it.

I traced the power sign:

powerbutton2.jpg

I'm not going to bother showing this in the dark because it won't show up even if my cathodes are on since it's placed outside the case. But I like the way it looks in the light.

Okay then I took the pens way too far and got an ugly ugly ugly outcome:

powerbutton3.jpg

Yeah I took that off right away - wish that would have turned out better :-/

I also sleeved the cathode wire that I had extended...

BEFORE:
cathodebefore.jpg

AFTER:
cathodesleeved.jpg

AND.... AND... I PUT THE COMPUTER IN MY CASE!!

computerin.jpg

frontal.jpg

My boyfriend helped me transfer the hardware - make sure I didn't do anything stupid (which I did, I believe I almost forgot to put the hard drive in) I was scared at first to turn the computer on. I mean what if a circuit blew and my case melted? But yay, it worked! Let's give two thumbs up for success:

THUMBSUPWES.jpg

--- SOME STUFF I AM CURRENTLY DOING/ STILL NEED TO DO: (ooo not done yet)

I don't have all 4 of the cathodes on in those pics ^^, I still need to arrange them in just the right place. (I plan on putting two on the top) I think I'm going to have to glue them down so I need to make sure that I install them correctly. I'm going to glue them because the sticky stuff that the cathodes comes with will not look right on this acrylic case. I was thinking about drilling them in their places.... but I am very apprehensive about doing that. Anyone got any better ideas? -- ahh yea and I need to come up with a plan about that cover we were talking about earlier.

Right now I'm painting the inverters for the cathodes black. I might put some circuit traces on there-- not quite sure how I'm going to do that.

I'm still looking into that proc completing the circuit deal. That will probably take me awhile to do, I'm hoping to get that other proc this weekend at san lan.

Again, if yall have any more ideas (which yall certainly do!) or can add to an idea please let me know!

And I was looking at old comments trying to see who originally campe up with putting a fake proc in and I believe it was Mr.Guvernment. Thanks for the great idea! It has really blossomed throughout this thread :beer:

Last edited:
Hamspiced said:
Looks great.... is moonwolf posting a journal of his pc? i havent seen it here in Alt. Modding.

Yeah, I've done a partial writeup on my latest mods, but I completely lost motivation to do any posting midstride because nobody seemed to care/comment/be interested in what I was doing. Comments and views go a long way to keep people motivated. My mods are finished and I have all the pictures arranged, I just can't seem to get myself to finish explaining what I did and format the posts... If you really want to see it, its here.

I'm not stoned in that picture above, that was taken at about 12 at night and I was ready to go home and crash head first into my bed.

Out of curiousity, are those LEDs up top spaced just far enough apart that you can put a can of mountain dew between em? ;)

Excellent work. Sounds like you're still polishing, cant wait to see more!

wow safronz.. you inspire me... even though im male and your female.. the dedication of your work is amazing. Im working on a LAN box, and seeing your dedication inspires me.. your gender wouldnt effect the inspiration. Hell Capt. Slug has inspired me with some of his mods.

Excellent work, well done and a clean setup (wires, and PCB traces)...

keep up the good work, and for a first mod wow.

god reading this, ham's and fushys makes me want to do great things... like go and spend a hella money on a custom siding that 64thunderbolt can hopfully make for me! thank god for graphic arts in skool.... btw i love the way its coming out. and ur the kinda influince I love but my pocket hates XD nehow thanks for all the ideas :D

I agree Completely Moonwolf...

If your g/f didnt badger me for pics i probably wouldnt post here too much either:) Not to mention she almost caused a big fight with my g/f lol....

Anyways, i agree a custom cut fan grille would seem to accent the box pretty nice... i was thinking of what to use so why not get a bunch of diagrams for a wireing schematic and find one of the icons they use to represent something and cut that out?

If you have access to a plasma cutter at a highschool it can be done in a little under a couple of seconds.

just a few ideas to toss out before the competition.

SniperXX said:
Very good mod. I cant wait to see whats to come. Also, whats your plans for v2?

Hmmmm, it's a secret. Just kidding, I am not sure. Probably a combination of the ideas posted here and whatever I can think up. (I think a vinyl cutter would probably be used)

Suran said:
Out of curiousity, are those LEDs up top spaced just far enough apart that you can put a can of mountain dew between em?

lol. Darn I don't have mountain dew, will coke work?

tbones1337: Thanks for the compliment, encouragement really does go a long way :)

BatousaiRyu: hehe, my pocket doesn't like me much either.

64Thunderbolt said:
Hey Safronz
how about some custom fan grills to match your theme?? we could come up with something Im sure!!!

Sounds cool! Got any ideas for fan grills? I'll have to build up some money first ;)

Hamspiced said:
I agree Completely Moonwolf...

If your g/f didnt badger me for pics i probably wouldnt post here too much either Not to mention she almost caused a big fight with my g/f lol....

Anyways, i agree a custom cut fan grill would seem to accent the box pretty nice... i was thinking of what to use so why not get a bunch of diagrams for a wiring schematic and find one of the icons they use to represent something and cut that out?

If you have access to a plasma cutter at a highschool it can be done in a little under a couple of seconds.

just a few ideas to toss out before the competition.

Yea so it’s Emily, … not Jenna :rolleyes:

And as for the plasma cutter- well I don't know what a plasma cutter is..heh sooo enlighten me :) And your suggestion about the grill design sounds great. The competition however is this weekend - tomorrow evening so I won't have time before then, but there will be more competitions :)

-Thanks guys!

UPDATE: I have finished installing the cathodes and painting the inverters and what not, I'll post pics later...and my mom made me this really kickN case for my case. I'll just go ahead and post those:

cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

cc3.jpg

cc4.jpg

cc5.jpg

Works great. Moms are great. I'm ready for san lan :D

I like the idea of using circuit board symbols for the fan grills. email jpg images of some symbols you like and I'll see what I can do!!

cheers
Charlie
PS.. good luck in the competition!! :thup:

Back