• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Mod!! Lots of Pics! 'Circuit Board Effect'

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To be honest Obsolete what you said was very belittling. I have worked hard on this project and it is my first mod. I was a little apprehensive to post my mod at first but this community was so welcoming and encouraging that I felt comfortable here. The comments in this thread were very encouraging and helpful up until your post. People did criticize my project before you, but it was a lot more “constructive” (as I have mentioned before) and I got something out of their criticism. I did NOT get anything out of your post and I’m still trying to figure out what your point was. Was it to scare me away from continuing this thread? Was it to keep girls away from this community? Was it so that I would put a disco ball in my computer? I don’t believe any of those are a good reason to post (a disco ball really wouldn’t go with my case), so I hope those were not the reasons for your comment. The point of this journal is not to show off my mod, but to simply gather ideas from other people and improve my mod. I’m learning a lot from this community, and I do enjoy it here!

And as for other people sexually harassing you, who are the same sex as you, well I doubt they would have said anything if you hadn’t provoked the situation (from your original post – “Probably going to get slammed, but oh well.” Seems like you knew what was coming to you, so why complain?).

Anyway, to prevent further arguments, let’s stick to the rules of this community and if you don’t like what you see, and don’t have anything “constructive” (there’s that word again) or nice to say – DON’T POST.

Hey look here's a good example for a post:

/\\/3|2o said:
About the mod. One thing that I think would make this mod REALLY cool is if you sit there and make a bunch of tiny traces beside the big ones. Not to block the view of the inside but just to make it more detailed. Maybe just sit there with a UV reactive pen and a ruler and start going crazy with it. Just something to think about.

Hey I just might try that. I need to see how well the uv pens stick to the acrylic. Good idea :)

Now we can start getting back to the topic of this thread!

Yeah good idea, if we want to talk to Obsolete then just PM him. Lets clean this place up a bit.

Anyway safronz did you want the Athlon as well? Maybe it would be cool to try and get a proc from all the generations and toss it on there.

With that other proc you could try that idea someone said by using the proc to complete a circuit to start the comp.

BTW: Sorry I can remember who said that idea but can you elaborate, I would like to try something like that. Or you can try to get another of the same proccessor so it matches the other on the top.

Also, safronz, your mod has encouraged me to try an acrylic mod. I hadnt seen too many good ones before but I have seen some and urs now. So now I am planning on taking a turn @ modding one now. :)

/\\/3|2o said:
Anyway safronz did you want the Athlon as well? Maybe it would be cool to try and get a proc from all the generations and toss it on there.

Yea, if you go to san lan, can you bring it with you? (I'm not sure if I'm going just yet) That'd be great, thanks a bunch /\\/3|2o!

SniperXX said:
With that other proc you could try that idea someone said by using the proc to complete a circuit to start the comp.

BTW: Sorry I can remember who said that idea but can you elaborate, I would like to try something like that. Or you can try to get another of the same proccessor so it matches the other on the top.

Well that does sound interesting but I'm a lost on how to do that. So yea whoever had that idea please explain!

SniperXX said:
Also, safronz, your mod has encouraged me to try an acrylic mod. I hadnt seen too many good ones before but I have seen some and urs now. So now I am planning on taking a turn @ modding one now.

Awesome, I'm really glad to here that I've influenced another mod :) Keep me posted about yours plans for your acrylic mod!

I just want to say: I'm female and no one responds to my threads let alone reads them.

I really dig the case mod. It is rather inspiring unlike many of the other mods I see. Good work and keep it up!

Hey Alice I appreciate your support, I just took a look at your threads and I've got to say they are beyond me. It's easier for people to post on a mod because of the pics, but your threads come with intelligence. I'd like to learn some of that stuff!

Quote:
"Was it so that I would put a disco ball in my computer?"

That's some O/C forums pwnage right there. HaHa.

Any way I have just 2 simple suggestions for your quite excellent first mod. I think that your lighting looks apropriate and very classy. However, I have always had a problem with seeing the light source in any of the mods I see online. So my suggestion is make a small cover/shrowd for your uv ccfls so that they dont just shine through the case. that way your attention will be on the circuit board effect and not on the light source. Also I was kinda thinking that it would be cool to somehow add a dimm slot sorta thing in the circuit board or something, then you could put a slot loader behind it and it would look like you were putting your cd's into the circuit traces.

Oh and btw it's great to have you and alice here as our female mod representitives on OC.com.

WejRepus said:
i know it might be a little late, especially considering you already murdered that proc, but i thought it would be a cool idea to mod a socket and proc and wire it up so that the socket is on the top of the case wired to the power switch so that when you put the proc in it completes a circuit and turns the case on... i hope i made that clear... and it looks great

Ok this is the post I remembered. WejRepus can you please elaborate on this? I am also @ a lose on how to do something like this.

I also got 3 dead socket A mobos I use to desoder (sp?) parts I need. I could even remove a ZIF socket for my mod.
:clap: :cool:

However, I have always had a problem with seeing the light source in any of the mods I see online. So my suggestion is make a small cover/shrowd for your uv ccfls so that they dont just shine through the case. that way your attention will be on the circuit board effect and not on the light source.

I totally agree. I think its a little flashy but doing that would probably help a LOT.

Also I was kinda thinking that it would be cool to somehow add a dimm slot sorta thing in the circuit board or something,

I thought of suggesting that as well, but I can see how it can get totally out of hand and make it look nasty. One or 2 things might be good (PCI slot here or there), But if you start putting a bunch of other stuff on it, it will start to look like ****.

SniperXX said:
Ok this is the post I remembered. WejRepus can you please elaborate on this? I am also @ a lose on how to do something like this.

I also got 3 dead socket A mobos I use to desoder (sp?) parts I need. I could even remove a ZIF socket for my mod.
:clap: :cool:

ok, my idea that i have been toying around with needs one proc and one zif socket. you need to mod the zif socket so that the power switch wires are slightly inside a hole in the zif socket so that when a pin from the proc enters the socket, it completes the circuit of the switch and powers on the mobo. here is a crappy paint drawing, maybe it will help. the thing that i cannot figure out is how to make it momentary, besides quickly putting the proc in and then taking it out. i hope this makes sense, it is the kind of modding idea that i think about when i am falling asleep...

Attachments

• DIAGRAM.jpg
    DIAGRAM.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 319
the thing that i cannot figure out is how to make it momentary, besides quickly putting the proc in and then taking it out

How about just keep the regular power switch on the case and use your idea as a kind of "key" type thing. So if the proc is in the socket, then the circuit is complete and ready for the push switch to be pressed. Then if its out of the socket, if you press the power push switch then you will still have to complee the circuit at the processor side. Ill draw it up in paint if i can find some time here at work.

/\\/3|2o said:
How about just keep the regular power switch on the case and use your idea as a kind of "key" type thing. So if the proc is in the socket, then the circuit is complete and ready for the push switch to be pressed. Then if its out of the socket, if you press the power push switch then you will still have to complee the circuit at the processor side. Ill draw it up in paint if i can find some time here at work.

thats what i figured would be easiest... i just wonder if someone who was good with electronics could throw together a piece of pcb with a circuit that would do the job, and sorry to semi-thread jack safronz...

Doesn't sound hard... just have to do a sort of fake "pin mod" where you connect two pins on the actual processor with a very thin wire. Then you take the holes for the corresponding pins and use them to connect the wires in order to make the circuit. This would look very cool.

Optimus Prime said:
Any way I have just 2 simple suggestions for your quite excellent first mod. I think that your lighting looks apropriate and very classy. However, I have always had a problem with seeing the light source in any of the mods I see online. So my suggestion is make a small cover/shrowd for your uv ccfls so that they dont just shine through the case. that way your attention will be on the circuit board effect and not on the light source. Also I was kinda thinking that it would be cool to somehow add a dimm slot sorta thing in the circuit board or something, then you could put a slot loader behind it and it would look like you were putting your cd's into the circuit traces.

I don't know much about physics but dude...that sounds like a good idea. Think I should make the cover/shrowd out of sheet metal? What would you use? And the dimm suggestion is very awesome but I would need to figure out how to do that - I don't know how a cd rom drive operates further than that it is able to read things off of a CD. I'd have to alter it to make it like a car cd player - no idea how to do that! Has anyone seen a mod done like that?

Last edited:
You could even look up AMD schematics for the athlon Thunderbird that /\\/3|2o has and see which pins are connected to each other internally, in which case all you would have to do was connect the wires to complete the circuit into the right holes on the socket and you'd have one kickass mod.

/\\/3|2o said:

Exactly what I was thinking. That would kick so much a**, lol. :D

MoonWolf said:
You could even look up AMD schematics for the athlon Thunderbird that /\\/3|2o has and see which pins are connected to each other internally, in which case all you would have to do was connect the wires to complete the circuit into the right holes on the socket and you'd have one kickass mod.

I think that would be cool. Would that momentary voltage blow a trace tho? How much power could momentarily flow through? Or does the switch have very low voltage flow through if any? Sorry I never tested if any power flowed through when you hit the switch... just never had a reason too.

EDIT: I googled for AMD Thunderbird schematics but I didnt seem to get very far. I say the best way is do a continuity test (I think thats what its called, like it beeps if its a connection) with a volt meter. Just test random pins and mark the ones u wanna use.

Wow okay I didn't see all the comments about the proc when I posted that, wow, that would be an insane mod - ummm I am a very big noob when it comes to electronics, but seeing how I want to become an electrical engineer maybe this would be a good project for me :D So I guess I'll start by getting that proc from you /\\/3|2o but where should this proc go? I don't want things to start getting messy if you know what I mean. Thanks guys :attn:

Oh yea and I better get back to work, so I'll be on later. I've been so lazy today :eek:

Back