• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first preview pics - PWM Fanbus with 128x64 graphic LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

W1zzard

Over the last months i've been working on a little fanbus project:

- 8 temperature sensors
- 8 pwm outputs (2x10A, 6x 4A)
- automatic fan speed control based on temperature
- graphic 128x64 display
- microcontroller-controlled (Atmel AVR) / programmed in asm and c
- rs232 interface to pc app.. will look into using usb soon
- settings are stored in non-volatile eeprom and restored at bootup

lcd1.jpg

The LCD. Sorry for the red reflection of my intellimouse explorer ;)
Only temperature for CPU and GPU is correct right now as i haven't attached the other sensors.
The little triangle below the load bar is the average cpu load over the last 3 minutes..

lcd2.gif

The app you use to change settings / view data. Fanbus works without it but has no cpu/network data when the app is not running.

At the moment i'm looking into adding cpu overtemperature alert+shutdown.. any suggestions on how to do it in hardware? :rolleyes: cut-off the green power wire?

Any suggestions for controls? buttons? jog wheel? be creative..

Comments? Questions? Suggestions

From whence did you get that sexy little LCD, and how much? C'est trés shiny to be sure...

As for the cut-off bt, is there nothing you could 'play around with' regarding the soft-power jumper on the motherboard?

Pablissimo said:
From whence did you get that sexy little LCD, and how much? C'est trés shiny to be sure...

As for the cut-off bt, is there nothing you could 'play around with' regarding the soft-power jumper on the motherboard?

It's a Displaytech 64128C FC BC got it from a distributor here in germany for about 25 euros ..

Module size (WxHxT) 75 x 52.7 x 8.9 mm
Viewing area (WxH) 60 x 32.5 mm

It uses two KS0108 display controllers .. these are a ***** to interface .. i really suggest you get a display with a SED133x or T6963c controller .. those are MUCH easier to handle ..

i've been writing a "specification" page during the development process .. i might post it when the whole project is finished .. it includes schematics ..

if someone wants to roll his own and questions come up i'm definitely going to help..

This is actually the exact project Ive been planning on getting around too, but havent had time.
For an emergency shutdown, you could cut the power line, or cut the AC with a relay, but without external wireing you would have to open up the PSU.

I was making a similar project with a 4x20 LCD & PIC microcontroller, but haven't been able to learn PIC programming (doesn't stick in my head).

You could always make a "pass-thru" ATX connector and use that to splice into the Green wire. Thats what I designed - just need the ATX connector from a blown PSU and then get the female connector & pins.

hey, send me any info you have on how to program software to run those little things, i want to do one of those, infact i just posted a thread asking how before i saw this

Back