• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding- Where do I begin........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nvidia -> Linux
AMD -> Windows

Usually want 1 core per GPU to be safe. Pretty much any cheap quad core will do. RAM? 4Gb should suffice. I haven't seen FAH use up much RAM.

You might be lucky and still find some Crypto miners selling off their AMD GPU's (280x, 290, 290x) for cheap. These GPU's have been running for months at 100% so most people won't want 'em for some reason. All my mining GPU's are healthy :shrug:

Nvidia -> Linux
AMD -> Windows

Usually want 1 core per GPU to be safe. Pretty much any cheap quad core will do. RAM? 4Gb should suffice. I haven't seen FAH use up much RAM.

You might be lucky and still find some Crypto miners selling off their AMD GPU's (280x, 290, 290x) for cheap. These GPU's have been running for months at 100% so most people won't want 'em for some reason. All my mining GPU's are healthy :shrug:

Thanks there is actually one on another forum that I have been eyeballing. (280X) but want to wrap up the gaming build first....... :thup:

^ what he said, I'm already tryin to figure out how I can get a dedicated folding machine in my budget, having to stop folding so I can play games is the pita, Someone always get on my radar and I get worried they will pass me, lol.

^ what he said, I'm already tryin to figure out how I can get a dedicated folding machine in my budget, having to stop folding so I can play games is the pita, Someone always get on my radar and I get worried they will pass me, lol.
I would prefer if you would play more games ;)
Always on my threat list t1m4n.

Also don't forget that Nvidia is usually more power efficient..

I would prefer if you would play more games ;)
Always on my threat list t1m4n.

Also don't forget that Nvidia is usually more power efficient..

I know they are, but when I built my rig, it was under old (really old) knowledge. I plan on passing you, but it will take much longer than it says, I'm gonna be playing some games this coming week, so might not get much done, you can breathe easy for a spell :p

Yeah I have an itx case here that will most likely become my folding rig lol......

Ok guys, the dust has settled on my wife's build and my gaming build. So now I am ready to focus more attention to the Folding rig. I do not want to have to stop folding to game etc so.......

Almost all extra parts that were sitting around were sold off, so let's say someone wanted to start a Folding GPU from scratch but with a strong GPU, where would I begin. How much CPU do I need? Etc.

For the GPU would an R9 280/GTX960/970 be strong enough....? How much does VRAM affect the F@H........

I appreciate the help guys. Decided this is more important to me than the test bench in order of getting them built.

:thup:

caddi daddi has been spot on for you. I am happy to see all of your questions to date answered. I personally have stopped folding on the CPU as it has caused me some trouble with my farm. In my case, the CPU is only in charge of feeding data to my GPUs which is why caddi said that you could swap your CPU with your nephew. You don't need much by way of CPU.

When you are ready with the next round of questions, they team will be here to get you going. If you ever figure out the Linux stuff, let me know. ;) The guys here have helped others do it so I know for a fact that you are in good hands.

:welcome:

Thanks Don, yes he did answer my questions and I appreciate it, but there's not the same hard ware on hand now. I am basically starting from scratch on the F@H build so that's why my previous post of today :thup:

Like Don said, you don't need a powerful CPU, just enough cores to feed the GPU's.

Those GPU's are good to fold on, though the Nvidia's would benefit you by reducing your power consumption. Also Linux for Nvidia is you want max points possible.

VRAM doesn't matter to FAH really, just a nice stable overclock will help :)

Like Don said, you don't need a powerful CPU, just enough cores to feed the GPU's.

Those GPU's are good to fold on, though the Nvidia's would benefit you by reducing your power consumption. Also Linux for Nvidia is you want max points possible.

VRAM doesn't matter to FAH really, just a nice stable overclock will help :)

Ok perfect then I have an idea in mind for the build :)

If I were starting from scratch.
a dual core apu combo from microcenter, a board with 2 pcie slots, x16 and x8 will be fine.
a 500-550 watt psu.
a cheap, small ssd.
4-8 gigs of the cheapest 1600 ram I can find.
an evga gtx 970 ftw+.
Ubuntu based Linux, I'm just used to Ubuntu based and HayesK has hand carried us through, step by step, just copy and paste, a handy guide.
boom, bam 300,000 ppd.

If I were starting from scratch.
a dual core apu combo from microcenter, a board with 2 pcie slots, x16 and x8 will be fine.
a 500-550 watt psu.
a cheap, small ssd.
4-8 gigs of the cheapest 1600 ram I can find.
an evga gtx 970 ftw+.
Ubuntu based Linux, I'm just used to Ubuntu based and HayesK has hand carried us through, step by step, just copy and paste, a handy guide.
boom, bam 300,000 ppd.

Awesome thanks. I have a 970 FTW+ en route for my gamer to mess with and was thinking it could go to the F@H rig and I could slap a 980 in the gamer...........

SSD I have a few 120gb 840 EVO's on hand so check there. APU as in AMD? since no need for a large OC I could go with a not the highest end mobo for it correct?

And for the RAM I will soon have some ddr3 on hand too

:thup:

My only experience with Linux so far was with Mint Cinnamon 17.2 and I enjoyed it. I got it to run on an old Acer laptop of mine, and then just because I was told I couldn't, I had it running on my Macbook Pro circa 2009 just because some people were telling me I couldn't do it lol. But I swapped it back to Mac OS because giving it to my daughter for her school work and they use the Mac OS at her school.

yes that's amd, the get in cost is cheaper than intel, you can underclock and undervolt them the keep the wattage down, yes a cheap board with 2 pcie slots, 1x16 and 1 x8.
the 980 will procuce about 100,000 more ppd for 25-50 more watts but will cost about 150-200 bucks more at get in.
HayesK was kind enough to hand hold me through getting a Linux folding rig going, it's copy and paste, I'll link you to it when you are ready, he went in to such detail that you might have to ask one or two questions through the whole setup process. we will be glad to link you to it when you are ready.

yes that's amd, the get in cost is cheaper than intel, you can underclock and undervolt them the keep the wattage down, yes a cheap board with 2 pcie slots, 1x16 and 1 x8.
the 980 will procuce about 100,000 more ppd for 25-50 more watts but will cost about 150-200 bucks more at get in.
HayesK was kind enough to hand hold me through getting a Linux folding rig going, it's copy and paste, I'll link you to it when you are ready, he went in to such detail that you might have to ask one or two questions through the whole setup process. we will be glad to link you to it when you are ready.

Ok perfect.

Any particular reason for the (2) PCIE slots? Because if not I could go ITX and keep it tiny. I am asking for informational purposes not trying to argue against advice given to help :thup:

Ok perfect thanks.

Much appreciated, now to shop for a mobo and APU lol.....

Stupid question but here's the tinkerer in me...... could the APU graphics be X-Fired with an AMD gpu....? If so is it worth it? Or team green just works better....?

go NVidia, more ppd and better ppd to the wattage used.
the onboard gpu in apu's use cpu cores and suck, they use system ram and not vram. (and more sucking)

Back