• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding- Where do I begin........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
and a cheap board, a single stick of 4 gig whatever is fine, like the cpu, it's not going to be doing much.
can you find an athalon cheaper? they don't have onboard graphics.

and a cheap board, a single stick of 4 gig whatever is fine, like the cpu, it's not going to be doing much.
can you find an athalon cheaper? they don't have onboard graphics.

I will fish around, I might know someone that has been wanting to make me a deal on some cheap CPU's for a mother board I have which I just thought would be overkill for a folding setup (CHVFZ), sent you a PM with a question.

The one i linked previously with the extra discount comes out to $37.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...28&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=90

depending on the games you enjoy and the res you play at a 980 might be in order for that.
the 970 is great all the way up to 1080p, but above 1080, is some games the 970 will struggle some and the 980 is a better choice for above 1080.
at 2560x1440 in a few games I had to turn the graphics back a notch or two with the 970, with 2 970's I could just crank them up but had to put up with the fan noise.
with the single 980 it was just turn it all right up.
with the 2 980ti's well..... lets just say no problems at all.

depending on the games you enjoy and the res you play at a 980 might be in order for that.
the 970 is great all the way up to 1080p, but above 1080, is some games the 970 will struggle some and the 980 is a better choice for above 1080.
at 2560x1440 in a few games I had to turn the graphics back a notch or two with the 970, with 2 970's I could just crank them up but had to put up with the fan noise.
with the single 980 it was just turn it all right up.
with the 2 980ti's well..... lets just say no problems at all.

Yeah I had one 980 Ti before on 1080 lol it was way overkill but fun to mess with for Firestrike and what not.

I have a 27" 1440P Dell en route to use. I figured the 970 OC'ed would suit me well for the time being, but now will probably (when funds allow) swap the 970 to the F@H rig and get a 980 or something along those lines for the other build. I honestly just liked everything I saw on/about the FTW+ 970 and wanted it to mess with. I know going in it's not gonna max everything out there at 1440P but with a 60hz monitor figured I am good for the games I have on hand. I just want to see how far I can push it lol....looks like a fun card and another member here had great luck with his SLI setup with them.......

And truth be told, I didn't want to spend much more than at the 970 level right now to wait and see what else comes this year, because either the new stuff will be that nuts to warrant change, or it's not and then on the used market there will be deals from the guys that always upgrade switching.

$500-$600 Titan X's will be a thing of beauty lol.........as will the lower prices on everything else. Add a 970, sure, $200 lol.........the cycle will always repeat itself.......

I mean I just sold 780 Ti's with blocks for $300 a piece lol.....

I've gone to 3 1080 monitors for gaming and I am just getting the viewing distance and those details worked out and I think I'm as happy as I can be with that.
for the autodesk/Arnold/maya/nuke rig I use a dell u2711, awesome rig with the two teslas hammering away.
at the shop it's all quadro m6000's for the cfd compute units and a huge 4k set for display.
I tried to get the k6000's back as they were better for what we do but was told to give the teslas a go so we will be trying a double brace of those shortly.
the teslas are kind of strange to me, monster compute units with passive cooling???? WTF??????

Yeah I had one 980 Ti before on 1080 lol it was way overkill but fun to mess with for Firestrike and what not.

I have a 27" 1440P Dell en route to use. I figured the 970 OC'ed would suit me well for the time being, but now will probably (when funds allow) swap the 970 to the F@H rig and get a 980 or something along those lines for the other build. I honestly just liked everything I saw on/about the FTW+ 970 and wanted it to mess with. I know going in it's not gonna max everything out there at 1440P but with a 60hz monitor figured I am good for the games I have on hand. I just want to see how far I can push it lol....looks like a fun card and another member here had great luck with his SLI setup with them.......

And truth be told, I didn't want to spend much more than at the 970 level right now to wait and see what else comes this year, because either the new stuff will be that nuts to warrant change, or it's not and then on the used market there will be deals from the guys that always upgrade switching.

$500-$600 Titan X's will be a thing of beauty lol.........as will the lower prices on everything else. Add a 970, sure, $200 lol.........the cycle will always repeat itself.......

I mean I just sold 780 Ti's with blocks for $300 a piece lol.....

Ehh you could have used those 780ti's to fold on ya know... At least 240K PPD/GPU...
So together that would have been a nice 480K PPD. probably closer to 500K.

Ehh you could have used those 780ti's to fold on ya know... At least 240K PPD/GPU...
So together that would have been a nice 480K PPD. probably closer to 500K.

Yeah but the funds from those paid for what else I needed for my gaming build and bought me a monitor lol.........

Yeah but the funds from those paid for what else I needed for my gaming build and bought me a monitor lol.........
I hear ya.

I mentioned to you that you should keep one, they are still powerful cards, but on the other hand a 970 is :drool: tastic and /me wishes I had one. Draw a lot less power and it a bit better overall :thup:

At the same time, I just realized you had blocks on those 780ti's, so you'd have to have a small loop in this folding rig just for the GPU which would be an added expense and kind odd for a simple folding rig :sly:

I hear ya.

I mentioned to you that you should keep one, they are still powerful cards, but on the other hand a 970 is :drool: tastic and /me wishes I had one. Draw a lot less power and it a bit better overall :thup:

At the same time, since you had blocks on those 780ti's, you'd have to have a small loop in this folding rig just for the GPU which would be an added expense..

Yup part of what I ran through in my head prior to selling them off.......

Back