• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Form over function, Rackmount it all!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Steve get with me later Ill help you troubleshoot it.

ARGH _)($%_$()%_)$(%$_)($^_)$^ Got my server in from Ebay:

Rack mount server, CPU: Dual P3 800mhz, Ram: 256mb, CD-Rom: yes, Floppy drive: yes, Video: onboard, Ethernet: 1 onboard, 1 PCI Open PCI slots: 2 USB 2.0 ports: 2 HDD: 200GB The server came out of a working environment, and will be tested again before being shipped. Please check the shipping calculator for your shipping rate! Thanks for checking out our auctions and happy bidding!

Yeah that 200Gb drive, it didnt make it through shipping. Im sitting here listening to it click like a metronome... I already emailed the seller seeing what he will offer (new 200 would be nice) but Im not expecting anything and I have enough 160gb drives around that I could just use one of them to replace it, though I shouldnt have to.

CURSE YOU EBAY!!!!

Yeah, i have enough for a test setup for my second socket A rig, but dont have a socket A chip to test the 2 potential mobo's with. As for the raid card, i can take a look at that too... but it is not a current priority of mine.

Sleepy_Steve said:
And this guy complains about not finding enough hits on craigslist?!?!
with as many deals as I'm getting here the world must be coming to an end, however the first compaq case was obtained several months ago, both the netfinity and the 2nd case however have been in the same week (granted they were the first ones Ive seen since then though)

Adragontattoo said:
How are you getting the cases for 50 bucks...

What would shipping be for a totally gutted (nothing but shell and HOTSWAP bays) I wonder.

Craigslist, they are old junk PII systems and since they are such heavy beasts people dont charge much for them. As for shipping for one, Id say probably around 50 bucks atleast. The netfinity weighs (by best estimate) around 60-70 lbs. The first compaq is emptied of its guts so it weighs considerably less but still rather heavy.

Adragontattoo said:
Im jealous, with all the tech co.'s around me no one has old rackmounts or they arent selling em for a reasonable price.

I may just bite the bullet and but anice rackmount case for the Zippy that is enroute.
just get on the craigslist for your area and search for Netserver, netfinity, proliant or poweredge(these are often more pricey but are better machines if you want to use the guts)

pik4chu said:
just get on the craigslist for your area and search for Netserver, netfinity, proliant or poweredge(these are often more pricey but are better machines if you want to use the guts)

Not one single hit on any of those names in my area. :cry:

pik4chu said:
that sucks :( try just searching for "server" and only look at the ones under computer & tech (since you get a lot of furniture hits)

LOL , nothing but windows server 2003 ads.

Adragontattoo said:
I have a 1600, 1800, 2000, and I think a 2200 in a box somewhere in the condo.
Blinks! Ahh, I'm there.

Adragontattoo said:
Steve see if there is a bios update for the card, it may be bad firmware or something.

New server even with only 256mb of Ram is pretty speedy. Just gotta figure out what I want to actually do with it.
Given that i have no use for it, if you help me get that card working, im inclined to give it to ya. As for bios updates on the card, yet another thing i can look into once im home. hahah

hkgonra said:
LOL , nothing but windows server 2003 ads.
lol ya, thats the one problem, but often if you look past those sometimes you find good stuff that people are selling as a "server" because they don't know what it is ;)

I think im going to go pick up the other proliant today and the microATX case arived last night, was too late so didn't play with it much buit it looks pretty nice. It is a little on the large side but thats good since I can add better cooling to it w/o much hacking or shoe-horning. They don't seem to be stackable per-say but shouldnt take much work to do that if you want to go that route. Just keep in mind the PSU isn't much so you can't put a high-end PC in one. But for the money I think I'm rather satisfied.

pik4chu said:
lol ya, thats the one problem, but often if you look past those sometimes you find good stuff that people are selling as a "server" because they don't know what it is ;)

I think im going to go pick up the other proliant today and the microATX case arived last night, was too late so didn't play with it much buit it looks pretty nice. It is a little on the large side but thats good since I can add better cooling to it w/o much hacking or shoe-horning. They don't seem to be stackable per-say but shouldnt take much work to do that if you want to go that route. Just keep in mind the PSU isn't much so you can't put a high-end PC in one. But for the money I think I'm rather satisfied.

pics?

I have a feeling this may become the new server thread lol.

Adragontattoo said:
pics?

I have a feeling this may become the new server thread lol.
lol probably. I will snap some pics when I get home after work today since Ill be jumping into it and seeing what I can fit inside. It is definitely a microATX form factor case so no mobo bigger than that but it is arranged really well inside.

Back