• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Form over function, Rackmount it all!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Adragontattoo said:
Anyone know if FreeNAS does 0+1 Raid Arrays?

Im gonna do that for one of the servers. Ill use up the 160's I have and then probably upgrade them later to something bigger. I just dont trust 0 to store my data.

Time to see if I have 5 160gb PATA drives to use.

Why not raid 5 ?

Adragontattoo said:
trying to maximize space and data protection at the same time.

I have 5 PATA 160's that I can use already and I am trying to eliminate having 3+ HDD in my main/linux rig.

OK, I am lost ,
why would that make you want to use raid 0+1 over Raid 5 ?
0+1 takes 4 drives, 5 takes 3 or more drives.

0+1 would be 320 of useable space but still mirrored.

Raid 5 would only be 160Gb of useable space between the 3+ drives

BTW

Reason I am building a file server #1 (BTW 2 more 160GB installed here and another 160 SATA on the shelf in the store box)

Too many freaking drives in the main rig!

All time best server ever! Original 1982 Donkey Kong Handheld! Sorry its just freakin awesome that I found this again, I had to take a pic.

Dual P3 450's 512 PC 100 ECC That will soon be the Smoothwall in a 2u case if it will fit (waiting on the Zippy to come in first).

Side by side with a mutated XaserIII that needs to die.

3 of the 160's that arent in use(I have one more in an external enclosure that is a move data around drive)
2 Seagate U Series 9
1 WD 1600JB

Second server has
Dual P3 800
256 PC133 ECC (2x 512 ECC ordered today)
Asus CUS-DLR (I think that is the board, system is not up to double check)
2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.7's(installed to test and will be pulled)

Adragontattoo said:
interesting! Im curious to see it.

I will toss up some pics (framebreakers) of both servers.
Well I took a ton of great pics...only to find I can't find the usb cable to attach ym camera to my pc lol so I should get them up once I find it... I guess it is my fault for cleaning the apartment haha!

Yeah, i feel jiped in a vicarious sort of way. ;)

On a totaly un related topic, i fear that i may not have the time to get all my Rigs humming along when i get home friday. Sigh...

ok the 4u case is getting modded some.

There is currently only a single 120mm in it. That will be changed hopefully this weekend. I will be removing all the bay covers and modifying acrylic to take the place of them.

Gonna mount either 2 80mm(yate loons) or 2 92(sunons) to the heat warped acrylic. Im also going to be switching MB's around if the Dual 450's will fit in the 2u case.

Adragontattoo said:
Nice case! Who made it? Feel free to join in Slug, this topic has become a hodgepodge of ideas and Rack related stuff.
He made it! duh :p And welcome to the thread Captain, surprised I didn't see you here sooner :)

As for the pics....still looking for cable lol though I'm pretty sure where it is now

pik4chu said:
He made it! duh :p And welcome to the thread Captain, surprised I didn't see you here sooner :)

As for the pics....still looking for cable lol though I'm pretty sure where it is now

Pik , you need to get a card reader ;)

pik4chu said:

LOL its like some horrible never ending quest. :beer:

[FONT=&quot]20x 2000mcd 5mm Ultra Violet UV LED Light Free Resistor for 4.99 shipped
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]30x Infra Red Remote 5mm LED Photodiode Free Resistors [/FONT][FONT=&quot]for 4.99 shipped
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]30x 5000mcd 5mm Red LED Ultra Bright Free Resistors for 5.04 shipped
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]20x 5000mcd 5mm White LED Ultra Bright Free Resistors for 4.99 shipped

looks like I will having some soldering to do soon....

The IR LEDS are for playing with.

The other LEDs will be used in various projects. Some will be going in the servers...
[/FONT]

Back