• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Forum Wars team planning....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Miah, I just tested the i5 680 with wPrime32M. It can complete the bench 4.8GHz on the weak 120x12mm fan and Samuel 17. It will partially do wPrime at 5GHz on the same cooling, but once the temps hit like 110C, I get a hard freeze.

Matt, that is why they call this winter wars. you can take it out in the garage and get a big fan on it and clock like crazy on air.

Do you only take 1 cooling handicap, or is the cooling handicap applied once for the CPU and once for the GPU?

So, CPU on DICE you might as well go GPU on Dice as well for no additional handicap?

Matt, that is why they call this winter wars. you can take it out in the garage and get a big fan on it and clock like crazy on air.

Not worth it for a "quick test" really, plus it doesn't get too cold in AL anyways...lol. I'll go all out when it's goin down though.

:rofl: I said give it a quick test.....not kill it :rock:

The Wars haven't started yet :screwy:

....but thanks for the report :D

This was my first time checking temps while on air. I usually don't monitor temps while air benching b/c I don't want being a wuss to limit me.

NP Matt....just giving you a hard time :p

Do you only take 1 cooling handicap, or is the cooling handicap applied once for the CPU and once for the GPU?

So, CPU on DICE you might as well go GPU on Dice as well for no additional handicap?

The cooling handicap is applied one time for the most extreme cooling being used on the rig. :salute:

On the air clocking is there temperature restrictions?

On my 955BE I can run 3d benches at 4200 with room temp air (I will do cold air benching if it is allowed)
Dice I can do 5-5.2ghz on cpu (may be more, I haven't gotten current mobo cold)
GPU 5870 lightning I have been working with the last few days but I am at
1040 core and 1250 memory with room temp air. I do not have any other cooling for gpu.

if we can get more than 1 comptitive team in each class, then we can bump other forums down and force them to take extra hits on each class. and could help the whole team as a group out. so dont be afraid to keep adding to the classes. everyone is valuable
I thought the rules state that only the top scoring team within a class is allowed...

ahh.. found it.

"If multiple Teams from the same forum exist in each class, only the highest scoring team's ranking goes toward the "Overall Forum Winner"

Still though, the more people you have per team, the more likely it is to have a higher overall score.

1. You can cherry pick the highest point players for one team.
2. If you can't do number 1, then team 2 or 3 could pass them up.
3. If one of the members on one of the teams has HW issues, guess who is already set with scores to submit. ;)

I thought the rules state that only the top scoring team within a class is allowed...

ahh.. found it.

"If multiple Teams from the same forum exist in each class, only the highest scoring team's ranking goes toward the "Overall Forum Winner"

I'm getting clarification now...

Still though, the more people you have per team, the more likely it is to have a higher overall score.

1. You can cherry pick the highest point players for one team.
2. If you can't do number 1, then team 2 or 3 could pass them up.
3. If one of the members on one of the teams has HW issues, guess who is already set with scores to submit. ;)
I didnt read it that way. Thats one heck of an extrapolation of the rule I listed. Other teams in the same class are not a bullpen, I wouldnt imagine.

I dont know. :shrug:

EDIT: Looks like MIAH is on it. :thup:

It appears things may have changed a bit from previous wars, but the rules are not clear enough for me on the matter....so I'm waiting for clarification.

I know that we can only use one team per class, but if we are in 1st in a class and have another team that is in 3rd. then we get 1 point for that class, but that will make one of the other forums take more points as they cant be in 3rd also, they would be in 4th. I could be wrong on this but either way. having more teams does help, what if a person on one team falters with hardware, and that team doesnt do well. there is another team to take better placing with 3 members contributing.

I'm pretty sure once the teams are set, they're set. No swapping players between teams in the same class, has ever been allowed IIRC.

hi all

well i have a 980x Will be cooled by a Rotary Cascade hoping for -100 with 320w load

At moment only benched it with a H70 and cooled air from outside but ran 5020Mhz on prime 32

I have 2 x HD5970's One with Accelero Extream cooler the Other Stock Ive only used Air but open to sugestions :D

Hey Sebastian....if you want to push you're hardware to the max....please join us, despite your lack of powerful hardware, you can actually be very helpful to the team, and your contribution can help us to win (I won't go into details just yet). So please join us if you have the time :thup:

Registered over at TRP and also at the forumwars site.

I don't have anything but my laptop available. HD5850M, i5 430M ES

CPU will do about 3.4+ on air. GPU can probably be pushed to 850/1100 from a stock of 625/1000.

Back