• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free CPU HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got a PIN number? Heat Sink Fan. So this is for a heat sink, fan, and a fan? Push-pull TRUE 120?

Um... Link to the product under discussion is in the first post and everything shown there is included...

One heatsink, one fan (not two), and all required mounting hardware for its compatible sockets...

It's a single fan heatsink design - you'd have to finangle/McGuyver something together to acheive a push-pull as only one side of the fins has a flat surface to mount against. Reviews are also linked in posts above if you're curious for full details.

True 120 is also on sale for $25+tax under the same rebate program at Microcenter... again as I posted above...

Sorry, I've got no idea whether I'm fully understanding your abbreviated rapid-fire questions here :p Please rephrase if I'm missing something!

Um... Link to the product under discussion is in the first post and everything shown there is included...

One heatsink, one fan (not two), and all required mounting hardware for its compatible sockets...

It's a single fan heatsink design - you'd have to finangle/McGuyver something together to acheive a push-pull as only one side of the fins has a flat surface to mount against. Reviews are also linked in posts above if you're curious for full details.

True 120 is also on sale for $25+tax under the same rebate program at Microcenter... again as I posted above...

Sorry, I've got no idea whether I'm fully understanding your abbreviated rapid-fire questions here :p Please rephrase if I'm missing something!

Re-read what I quoted. You said "It's not just an HSF. It's an HSF and fan".
HSF = Heat Sink Fan. Therefore, your stated "HSF and fan" is heatsink, fan, and fan. I thought "PIN number" would illustrate my point :( I would like a free HSF and fan, though, in that case :)

Sorry if it confused people. I should have put HS&F. Hope everyone liked it.

My job over here allows me to sit and surf the web, sometimes for hours. I look for the deals, but I always seem to miss the ones that I can get over here. Just missed a decent case on NE I could have used as a backup.

"Only one rebate per promotion per household..." so I'm out of the running after mine, sorry!

I wondering, what to stop someone from buying one with cash, then just mailing the rebate to/for me, with my info? (I don't know when the rebate has to be post marked by)

Sorry if it confused people. I should have put HS&F. Hope everyone liked it.

My job over here allows me to sit and surf the web, sometimes for hours. I look for the deals, but I always seem to miss the ones that I can get over here. Just missed a decent case on NE I could have used as a backup.

Wonderful deal Headstand, thanks very much for sharing!

You're wrong in apologizing though - I apparently did more to confuse the discussion by attempting to clarify the title. If anyone isn't following along, pettey and I have both been trying to clarify the same point (we're in agreement), but misreading each others' posts in the process :p. My bad :D.

Deal is still on now and ends this Sunday, if your local Microstation has any left in stock. It's not every day you can get a high performance, low noise, modern and complete CPU cooling solution* for $1 or less.

*For the record:
HSF = heatsink fan
HS = heatsink
"heatsink and fan" =/= "HSF and fan" = (2) fans and a heatsink
"heatsink and fan" = this deal = "complete CPU cooling solution"

They take your address when you pay with cash??

The receipt they print out has lines where you have to enter your address - My lines are blank but I'm not sure there's any reason they might not ask to put it in for you... in my case they had my address on file anyway since I used the "18 minute hold-it" service and that requires they get your address on record. Also had to use ID to confirm I was that guy, but I doubt that's necessary for any rebate - only if you use the "hold-it" service.

As far as "can they enforce" the 1 per household rule... I reckon you could purchase for another, but a flag might go off at the rebate processing center if a product purchased in my Kansas City B+M store has a rebate claimed with a return address for someone in California, for example... If their employees are well-trained and observant they might recognize the same face picking up the same rebate as well?

In any case, I don't think it's breaking the rule's intended purpose - to prevent the same individual from abusing the system and making a profit to the detriment of others benefiting from the deal. It might be construed that's what you're trying to do however should anyone pick up on it?

Maybe I was on vacation when I picked up the HSF, or visiting relatives? I could come up with a lot of explanations. However I get the point and I could easily see how this could be denied. However I don't think it is going against the policies or any law. If I give someone else the money and I process the rebate myself, then they are just the means I get the actual product.

Why can't there just be a Microcenter in Florida??

FYI I would never trust this thing to cool a I5/6/7 core cpu. Id take the stock cooler over that one.

You sure?

I just checked the Wikipedia TDP rating reference here... largest core i5/6/7 is only 130W... is that reference off?

This is currently cooling my 125W TDP Phenom II very well and quietly to boot... ;)

Is there some other reason you wouldn't trust an OCZ Vendetta?

Last edited:
You sure?

I just checked the Wikipedia TDP rating reference here... largest core i5/6/7 is only 130W... is that reference off?

This is currently cooling my 125W TDP Phenom II very well and quietly to boot... ;)

Is there some other reason you wouldn't trust an OCZ Vendetta?

Maybe its not the same one but I just tossed a cooler that looked exactly like that which was on a Q6600 and doing a terrible job of keeping it cool no matter how many times I reseated it. And the OC really isn't even that high.

Maybe its not the same one but I just tossed a cooler that looked exactly like that which was on a Q6600 and doing a terrible job of keeping it cool no matter how many times I reseated it. And the OC really isn't even that high.

Probably a different cooler then as the hottest 6600's are 105W TDP (before OC)...

Of related interest/note - proper TIM application on these newfangled exposed heatpipe heatsinks was a new trick I had to learn - the slight air gaps between the otherwise flat copper/aluminum contact surfaces require some "pre-filling."

Great illustrations of some different attempts here:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...ask=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

@Chixofnix

Must have been a different cooler, perhaps a knock of of the OCZ itself.

And I do about the oddities of the exposed heatpipe HSFs, got a set of similar ones on a dual socket 940 board doing just fine with some 270s.

@Headstand

Ya I beleive it is tiger direct. Interesting though I thought they were going soley online since that is what tiger direct is here. All the CompUSA's in colorado closed down way back when that happened. Microcenter is still here though and been here forever. No fry's though sadly but I wouldnt trade a microcenter for a Frys ;)

Back