• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried/bad CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Timsierramist

Registered
Hello everyone, i've been working on my second computer build and hit a wall today.

I had my PC working great for a day or two, but then it fell off a cliff for some reason.

When I shut down the PC and tried restarting, it started, but it would not send a signal to the monitor.

The most noticeable difference here was that my GPU fans (I have 2 Radeon 6970's) would speed up quickly for about 1.5 seconds, then slow down to idle again. They will continue to do this, POST message says "FF" and all fans are working fine.

I thought maybe it was my power supply, but when I remove my CPU, the GPU fans remain idle and don't seem odd.

When I put my old AMD 955 in, the GPU's also act normal.

Which makes me wonder if my CPU is fried for some reason. As a quick, somewhat risky and foolish test, I removed my H60. When I start my PC, my new CPU, FX8150, heats up really fast, almost instantly (I immediatelly shut down power when I feel any sort of heat).

When I do the same to my 955, it remains cool when I start my PC.

As you can see, there is jigsaw puzzle of info here and I need some good tips to get me in the right direction.

I purchased the CPU from FRY's and it's within the 15 days, so I am considering returning the CPU and trying a new one.

A last possible thought was that my new motherboard is fried?

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated folks. Thank you in advanced!

Like always when I request help, I like to continue researching the problem and trying to still figure it out on my own. Here is what I found from Overclockers Club.

"""The very 1st thing I would check is cpu power! Take the heatsink off and power the system on with a finger ready to power it back off. Put another finger on the cpu to see if it gets hot. If it does not, almost always means that the cpu is not getting any power, which is usually a faulty mobo! If it does get hot but you can't get anything to post and you have checked the RAM, then I would say you have a bad cpu. But, I have bent cpu pins many times, got them back into place, and they worked fine! I know when I have gotten the pins back to a position where cpu would seat right in the mobo, they worked. But, if you got a different mobo, have you made sure the RAM is compatible?

Just rem to shut the system down immediately if the cpu starts heating up """

Is that correct? Is it likely my MOBO is fried/broken and I need to replace the MOBO? One things for sure, if i'm going to drive down to FRY's, i'm replacing everything and starting anew. Gas prices are way to high here in CA, lol.

Update 1: Okay, I know why my old CPU wasn't heating up at all. Because a couple of pins were bent. When there is no CPU/or if it's bent like mine is, the motherboard flashes "FF" at me.

So the question I pose is should my 8150 heat up that fast? It heats up almost immediately where I have to take my finger off and power the system down immediately or else I get burned.

Update 2: Headed to Fry's. I'll be sure to post any updates as they happen.

Last edited:
The 8150 should heat up very fast without a heat sink! Please tell us more about your hardware, especially the make model of the motherboard and the CPU cooler or is the cooler the stock cooler that came with the CPU?

The 8150 should heat up very fast without a heat sink! Please tell us more about your hardware, especially the make model of the motherboard and the CPU cooler or is the cooler the stock cooler that came with the CPU?

yes mr trents correct they heat up fast alot of juice going threw those puppys. but the new cpus and mobos have thermal shutoffs if they reach a certain tmp they auto shutdown so the cpu dosnt fry.

unlike they old days were cpu temps were monitered by a diod under the chip. many years ago on my first or second build i done a simaler thing poped in a cpu and duuuu forgot to put on the heat sink. i literaly heard a sizzling sound like bacon crackling then a stinch. of corse the old amd cpus didnt have the heat spreader on them like they do now i looked at the cpu and it had like 10 small bubles in the middle of the core lol i literaly fried the scpu while in the socket. todays tech has come along way since then and its kinda hard to fry a cpu unless u just overvolt the poo out of it.

like mister trent said alittle more info on youre system would be good. ide start buy undoing everything and re-seating it all. make sure evrything has good contact and in its perspective place seated correctly ram, vid cards, power buton and reset boton conecters to the mobo and case. evrything! then reset bios could have a bad stick of ram try taking one stick out at a time or try puting in a new or dif vid card could be anything. just go threw process of elimination

and sorry for the typos i use the hunt n peck pluss i cant spell worth a hoot iether! :(

Hey everyone, thank you for your timely responses!

I went back to Fry's last night and returned the MOBO, which was a return in the first place, and the CPU and replaced it with a new 8150 and a...wait for it *drum roll*...Asus Crosshair V! Very nice CPU.

Anyways, installed everything and so far it looks like it's up and running ok. Thanks for the help. We will see how it goes.

I went back to Fry's last night and returned the MOBO, which was a return in the first place, and the CPU and replaced it with a new 8150 and a...wait for it *drum roll*...Asus Crosshair V! Very nice CPU.

Anyways, installed everything and so far it looks like it's up and running ok. Thanks for the help. We will see how it goes.

cool grats ull love the crosshair. asus has always been top notch i had a crosshiar 2 formula. only reason i went msi this time is cause the cross hair had red heatsinks. i wanted blue to match all my blue led's in case. enjoy and let us know how the oc goes

@walldow: That is the exact reason I held off buying it for so long. My entire interior is blue, and I wanted a blue board as well. Owell.

In any case, I had the exact same problem about 1 hour ago, and let me tell you, my heart sank all over again.

I found out this new board allowed me to reset CMOS by switching a cap and pulling out the battery, and voila, good as new!

My PC failed to start this time because I dabbled into overlocking.

I guess I need to sit down and get a really good guide to guide me along. Looks like I'll be able to find that guide here.

Thanks for the tips!

Your old board, the 955 worked correctly, and the 8150 did not?
The 8150 worked at one point then stopped working?
Or the 955 did and stopped working?
What model was it?

I know you've got it working now, but curiosity has the best of me.

Good to see you got it going, now for the lecture :) never never never power the PC on with the HSF or water block removed from the CPU. Never trust the thermal protection. I have seen CPU's that have ether fried faster than you could blink or cracked in 2 from the heat. Remember these CPU's (Intel and AMD) are running in the GHZ range, that's microwave frequency.

So please do not put your finger on the CPU and turn on the power or you will have the part number burned on to your finger.

Back