• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4170 Great Overclocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KetoSoi

I recently upgraded to an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, which has proven to be a great board so far. I spent some quality time tweaking the OC for the FX-4170, and have gotten some very good results. I thought I'd share...

I've gotten some good speed out of the thing, with temps well under control. I'm really impressed with the 4170's capability with even a modest liquid cooling set up.

Attachments

• fx4170-1.jpg
    fx4170-1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 396
  • fx4170-1a.jpg
    fx4170-1a.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 241
And the temps under load...

Attachments

• fx4170-2.jpg
    fx4170-2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 214
  • fx4170-3.jpg
    fx4170-3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 222
Use prime 95 for the ultimate test of stability, it is the industry standard test to ensure stability. Nice clocks by the way :thup:

Thanks :) I think theres more in it at acceptable temps, but I know I'm getting close to its limitations with my set up.

I know a lot of guys use P95, and it works great for them... but I kinda gave up on it. Its rarely stable for me. I've had workers die for no apparent reason, on completely stock & stable systems (with no OC whatsoever).

I noticed the same when I was testing FX8120. IBT is passing couple of hour tests while Prime95 is sometimes crashing without special reason.
As long as it's stable for everything that you do then it's good. Nice oc too ;)

Big thanks to Walldow, with his great tips I was able to get the FSB/HT speeds up to 2600+ :D

Attachments

• fx4170-1b.jpg
    fx4170-1b.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 165
I found that anything over 2400 NB, actually hinders performance. Run some tests and see if you get similar results.

I found that anything over 2400 NB, actually hinders performance. Run some tests and see if you get similar results.

Sorry, nope. Definitely a performance hit dropping in back down to ~2400.

Back