• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6100 -- BSOD 0x101 & 0x124

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlchemyCarta

Registered
For some reason my system has just now started to BSOD when I try to play certain games on my pc. It works fine when I played the new Dishonored game and also when I'd play other games needing Direct X 11 and such. (Dishonored, Sniper Elite V3, Skyrim, Blacklight Reach) But certain games would cause it to cop out. (Dirt 3, Borderlands 2, Saints Row 3)
So I looked online and found out what the issues were, but no matter what I do, nothing seems to work.

I ran a stress test with Prime95+CPU-Z+HWMonitor for about 20 min and posted a few screenshots. I thought the CPU was supposed to run at its max frequencies and max voltage but it was not at all. Fq was going from 4GHz to 5.2GHz then falling to 2.3GHz like shown in my attachments...

My CPU is overclocked and I have a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard.
- Set Clock Ratio to x20
- Set CPU frequency to 200
- Set Memory Clock to x8.00
- Disabled turbo and Cool&Quiet
- Left System Voltage Control to Auto
- Set Windows to High Performance

Could anyone possibly help or give some pointers as to what could possibly be going wrong with my setup? I did build this in July of this year and have had no problems since.

Attachments

• eyeyey.jpg
    eyeyey.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 461
  • yo8iioyi.jpg
    yo8iioyi.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 489
It means your system is not completely stable.

If I were to guess I would say it is likely a memory issue. I was overclocking my system and it would be stable under prime, but when I would play Dishonored the game would BSOD. Loosening the memory timings solved the problem.

I would recommend setting the memory to stock and focusing on getting a stable CPU overclock before you start playing around with the memory.

Also it would help if you put your system specs in your sig like I have in mine. Click on user cp at the top and look for the option to edit sig along the side.

It means your system is not completely stable.

If I were to guess I would say it is likely a memory issue. I was overclocking my system and it would be stable under prime, but when I would play Dishonored the game would BSOD. Loosening the memory timings solved the problem.

I would recommend setting the memory to stock and focusing on getting a stable CPU overclock before you start playing around with the memory.

Also it would help if you put your system specs in your sig like I have in mine. Click on user cp at the top and look for the option to edit sig along the side.

Alright, I changed my signature.
And I'll set the memory to stock like you suggested.
And its so odd how I can play some games, and others I cannot.
I could play Sniper Elite in 3D on a 47" Monitor or Dishonored on both the 47" and a 60" monitor, both on Ultra settings, but I couldn't even start Saints Row 3 or Dirt?

x101 and x124 generally mean add more core voltage.

That's what started my 'adventure' into all this.
When I increased the clock ratio it automatically increases my VCore automatically, or am I wrong? Or should I just take the CPU Voltage off Auto and bump it up manually?

Well something changed at least, but not in any positive way...
I changed the memory to auto, and I also bumped the VCore value from 1.36V to 1.41V
(Also, I'd like to say now what I previously forgot to mention in my first post. I also disabled C6 and C1E support)
But even after setting the memory to auto and making the bump, it's still acting up.
But this time, it did something different.
Usually the screen freezes when I would do a test. The test is literally me going into Steam, and clicking 'play' for Dirt. And every time, it would freeze for about 2-5 secs, then crash.
But this time, it just froze. Nothing more, nothing else. I had to do a hard restart to fix it...

So! Any other advice or ideas I can try?

Please disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo and APM in addition to C6 and C1E. Cool N Quiet is obscuring your voltages and frequencies in the pics from post #1. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance.

We also need to see the "Memory" tab and the "SPD" tab together with the "CPU" tab from CPU-z. Please disable these other "green", power saving, down-throttling technologies and repost with those three CPU-z tabs.

Finally, I would request that you capture the individual program interface screen images separately rather than capturing the whole desktop image because the latter shrinks down the images so much it makes it very difficult to read the values they contain. Sure, you can click on the image and the click on "View Image" to enlarge it but that's an extra step for those trying to help you. My point being that you should make it as easy on those trying to help you as possible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. No big deal, just my preference.

Please disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo and APM in addition to C6 and C1E. Cool N Quiet is obscuring your voltages and frequencies in the pics from post #1. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance.

We also need to see the "Memory" tab and the "SPD" tab together with the "CPU" tab from CPU-z. Please disable these other "green", power saving, down-throttling technologies and repost with those three CPU-z tabs.

Finally, I would request that you capture the individual program interface screen images separately rather than capturing the whole desktop image because the latter shrinks down the images so much it makes it very difficult to read the values they contain. Sure, you can click on the image and the click on "View Image" to enlarge it but that's an extra step for those trying to help you. My point being that you should make it as easy on those trying to help you as possible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. No big deal, just my preference.

As I stated before, I have already disabled Cool N Quiet, Turbo and APM in addition to C6 and C1E, as well as configuring it into High Performance...
I attached the screens from another 20 minute test; Nothing's changed.
And also, I cropped the images for you, if that helps any.

Attachments

• High.jpg
    High.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 412
  • Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 424
  • SPD Slot 3.jpg
    SPD Slot 3.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Low.jpg
    Low.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 417
  • SPD Slot 4.jpg
    SPD Slot 4.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 419
Thanks for the pics. Very revealing.

Your ram is running at 1710 mhz. It's only rated for 1600. CPU-z reports the memory frequency at half what you would expect because it's reporting the DDR bus rate, not the DDR3 transfer rate. Now, it's possible your ram will run at that frequency if you relax the timings and jack up the ram voltage but I seriously doubt it will run in any kind of stable fashion with those tight timings you are currently using. Compare your current ram frequency and timings with what the manufacturer recommends in the CPU-z tab "SPD" under the XMP-1600 column.

Ate you running the latest bios ? My ud3 did the freq thing but once I updated the bios and dissabled APM it sorted itself out

Ate you running the latest bios ? My ud3 did the freq thing but once I updated the bios and dissabled APM it sorted itself out

Yes, I updated it today with all my other drivers and nothing is different.

OhKay, after thinking a lot about this, I had an epiphany...
What if the issue isn't with my processor like I had thought.
What if my PC is BSOD'ing because the VCore for my GPU is the cause of all these issues?
Could this maybe be it? The readings from my picture above shows that I'm only getting .82V....Could bumping this up solve the odd crashing from certain games?

OhKay, after thinking a lot about this, I had an epiphany...
What if the issue isn't with my processor like I had thought.
What if my PC is BSOD'ing because the VCore for my GPU is the cause of all these issues?
Could this maybe be it? The readings from my picture above shows that I'm only getting .82V....Could bumping this up solve the odd crashing from certain games?

Go into your BIOS and reset everything to defaults and run your CPU at stock. If it still BSOD's then you will know that your CPU is the problem.

Since you were attempting to overclock it seems likely that you did it improperly and this is why you are having problems.

You should not be adjusting the base clock if you don't know what you are doing. If you want to overclock then do it by adjusting the multiplier instead, and run stress tests like prime95 untill you find the min voltage your CPU will run at.

With that Hyper 212 you have, I recommend aiming at around 4.4 or 4.6. Default base clock should be left at 200, multiplier should be 23 for 4.6 (200*23=4600) or 22 for 4.4 (200*22=4400). I believe max temps for AMD should be below or around 60 degrees.

I'm not familiar with AMD CPU's, but your voltages of 1.36V seem a little high to be honest, still it's a good place to start. Try out the 4.6ghz overclock at that voltage and make sure all the features trents told you are turned off, also make sure your memory is set to 1600mhz and that it is not overclocked at all. With a 200mhz baseclock, your memory should not change anyway. If 4.6 does not work or the temps are too high, then aim for 4.4ghz.

Again, the idea is to keep lowering the voltage until it becomes unstable again. At which point you raise it back up a few notches to find the min voltage it will run stable at. But if your memory is not running at the correct speeds it can be hard to identify the problem, which is why you need to ensure that the only thing being changed is the CPU.

But if you are attempting to overclock and your system is unstable, then it is likely a problem with your overclock and not anything else.

Last edited:
Go into your BIOS and reset everything to defaults and run your CPU at stock. If it still BSOD's then you will know that your CPU is the problem.

Since you were attempting to overclock it seems likely that you did it improperly and this is why you are having problems.

You should not be adjusting the base clock if you don't know what you are doing. If you want to overclock then do it by adjusting the multiplier instead, and run stress tests like prime95 untill you find the min voltage your CPU will run at.

With that Hyper 212 you have, I recommend aiming at around 4.4 or 4.6. Default base clock should be left at 200, multiplier should be 23 for 4.6 (200*23=4600) or 22 for 4.4 (200*22=4400). I believe max temps for AMD should be below or around 60 degrees.

I'm not familiar with AMD CPU's, but your voltages of 1.36V seem a little high to be honest, still it's a good place to start. Try out the 4.6ghz overclock at that voltage and make sure all the features trents told you are turned off, also make sure your memory is set to 1600mhz and that it is not overclocked at all. With a 200mhz baseclock, your memory should not change anyway. If 4.6 does not work or the temps are too high, then aim for 4.4ghz.

Again, the idea is to keep lowering the voltage until it becomes unstable again. At which point you raise it back up a few notches to find the min voltage it will run stable at.

But if you are attempting to overclock and your system is unstable, then it is likely a problem with your overclock and not anything else.

If it were 24 hours prior, I'd say that was the best advice yet!
However, I already did that. I went back into my bios and literally changed everything back to default. And I was still getting the 0x00000101 screen... So I tried overclocking my CPU and nothing changed...
Thats what has led me to believe that It's my GPU that is causing the BSOD...

If it were 24 hours prior, I'd say that was the best advice yet!
However, I already did that. I went back into my bios and literally changed everything back to default. And I was still getting the 0x00000101 screen... So I tried overclocking my CPU and nothing changed...
Thats what has led me to believe that It's my GPU that is causing the BSOD...

Did you physically set the values back to default or did you select the bios option to reset all to default? Make sure you go into the bios and use the "set all to default," or whatever that is for your motherboard, and then see if it still BSOD's.

If it still crashes then you might want to run memtest86 on each of your memory sticks individually to test for errors. One run each should be enough to rule them out.

Back